Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

What about engine and weight? With current 500-600kg of df @100mph I think that last year cars would appear quite slow today

variante

RicME85 wrote:Clearly running a modified Monaco track so to not compare between F1 and LMP regulations.....just like Formula E not running on the GP Monaco circuit ;)
Would have been interesting a direct comparison though :)

BTW my previous considerations are still true: the track could be a modified one, but its overall characteristics can't change THAT much... So keep an eye on drag as well, especially on the Nurburgring.

MadMatt
MadMatt

Thank you guys for the precision! :)

CAEdevice

Hi, a question about the submission of the car.
From the rulebook it seems that front suspensions are not to be inlcuded in the sumbmission, but I wonder: how can OCCFD place the sospension in the right position (height?)

RicME85

You supply a text file with the positional changes you made

cdsavage
cdsavage

The rulebook states that you should specify the offset in a separate text file. We may end up changing this to have you submit the actual suspension parts in their chosen position if it speeds up the process on our end.

machin

I can confirm what Chris has advised about Virtual Stopwatch, it will generate lap times in exactly the same way as previous years; i.e. aero efficiency will make a difference.
Efficiency certainly is taken into account for every round. The first 3 rounds are all at tracks which reward high downforce, so for these rounds the main priority is maximum downforce, but for a given downforce level the more efficient car will still produce a faster laptime.
Regarding this question:-
Thus Monaco is not actually Monaco but a variation of the actual track, and so on ?
The track data/layout is EXACTLY the same as last year.. however, since the engine power, vehicle mass, track width, wheelbase, tyres, etc etc are different then the charts from last year will not be appropriate... I guess we will see after the first round how the lack of charts works in practice and we may need to think again about whether we provide them or not. Certainly judging from last years race at Monaco we saw that the car with the highest downforce was the quickest car at Monaco....
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

variante

Hey look! A sneak peek of my KVRC model in medium downforce configuration :lol:

cdsavage
cdsavage

I've already brought this up with most of you through PMs, but we will add this clarification to the rulebook:
"When viewed from the rear, at any vertical position inside the rear wing volume, the endplate may not span more than 25mm in the X-axis."
This only affects designs which probably would have already been judged illegal, but this should make things more clear.

Having seen some early designs I'm happy to see that you all have a good understanding of the rulebook. My main concern with legality so far would be the wording at the end of each of the K4 rules, specifying that there must be space for airflow from the inlets to the outlets - some of the designs are pushing this quite a bit, but this was inevitable without having specific dimensional rules.

CAEdevice

variante wrote:Hey look! A sneak peek of my KVRC model in medium downforce configuration :lol:
http://www.topgear.com/uk/imageresize/i ... Height=347
Rumors say that your car will look like this:

variante

You've stolen my projects, haven't you? :evil:

BTW with the last changes the rulebook can be considered the official and definitive version, right?

cdsavage
cdsavage

I don't know if we can say with 100% certainty that there will be no more changes of any kind, but I definitely want to avoid it. Addition of images and wording for clarity (without affecting the substance of the rule) might still happen if necessary.

CAEdevice

hi cdsavage, could you confirm that the outer template (1000mm) of the cooling outlet(s) can't intersect the rear suspension template and that the outlet surface must be normal to the longitudinal direction (no rotations allowed)? thanks!

cdsavage
cdsavage

CAEdevice wrote:hi cdsavage, could you confirm that the outer template (1000mm) of the cooling outlet(s) can't intersect the rear suspension template and that the outlet surface must be normal to the longitudinal direction (no rotations allowed)? thanks!
This is correct.

etsmc
etsmc

would anyone be willing to put my car through the test??