Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

crxdave wrote:Thanks Matteo, I'm using catia V5.
Interesting!

MadMatt
MadMatt

Very nice car! Another fellow Catia user, that's good!

Julien, the rFactor thing is GREAT news. I am competing more for the "thrill" and to discuss aero with other people, but being a videogame fan I would love to see one or more cars in this game! :)

I am on my way to a Friday beer now, as soon as I come back home after I will do pictures of my 3D model and post them, just in time for dinner!

CAEdevice

Car geometry for the first race just submitted!

CAEdevice

MadMatt wrote:Julien, the rFactor thing is GREAT news. I am competing more for the "thrill" and to discuss aero with other people, but being a videogame fan I would love to see one or more cars in this game! :)
I wonder how it would be to drive a car with 6000-6500N of downforce @160kph (12500-14000n @200kph!!!)

MadMatt
MadMatt

CAEdevice wrote:
MadMatt wrote:Julien, the rFactor thing is GREAT news. I am competing more for the "thrill" and to discuss aero with other people, but being a videogame fan I would love to see one or more cars in this game! :)
I wonder how it would be to drive a car with 6000-6500N of downforce @160kph (12500-14000n @200kph!!!)
I am sure you have way more than 6000N of downforce at 160km/h :) Imagine having 30'000N at 300km/h! Group C time! :)

CAEdevice

I could not run OCCFD with the final release... 6500N is the last certain result. Further improvemets have been only estimated with other tools.

machin

Wow, things are really hotting up now with new cars all over the place and they're all looking great...

I've added another little output for you guys at the bottom of the data display which tells you how your lap time would change if you were to improve your aero efficiency (Downforce:Drag Ratio) by 20% by reducing your drag by 20% but retaining all your downforce... For the high downforce rounds you should find that the best option is to just pile on the downforce, but when we move to the low-medium downforce rounds you'll find that efficiency really comes to the fore....

Follow the usual link:-

KVRC TEST TRACK

Not long now 'til the first race!
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

Hello everyone , I apologize if I can appear "gossip" or "chatty" but it would be interesting to know some information about the KVRC competitors. Some of us have opened a specific thread specific on F1tech for the presentation of the cars, but the majority of the teams did not provide any information. Of course no one is obligated to do so and if you prefer to keep the maximum privacy is ok.

My name is Matteo, I am a mechanical engineer with no professional experience in CFD. I am 38 years (too) old and my small company is called CAEdevice, it provides mechanical design services (presses , handling , carpentry ) and FEM simulation. Last year I attended the KVRC obtaining a placement at the 4th place...I could never get close to Variante and CDsavage (CSR) :)

MadMatt
MadMatt

Good idea Matteo!

My name is Mathieu, although Matt is fine here, I am 29 (not for long unfortunately), and I am also a mechanical engineer, as well as a motorsport engineer with experience in the WRC. I developed my skills in CFD when I was at Uni doing a BSc and an MSc, but mostly for my own projects. For this year's KVRC (which is my first time), I hope to get a podium result, or at least a top 5. As people may or may not know, the team name I chose for this is DynaRace.

I always admired what other people did with this challenge when it was F1-oriented, I doubt I would have had time to build such complex machine, I much prefer prototypes anyway, and I am sure this competition will give us plenty to talk about on aero stuff, but hopefully also about much more! :)

julien.decharentenay
julien.decharentenay

Thanks Matteo. From my side, I will be turning 40 this year. I have traveled a bit around the place and have moved back to London in November last year. I am trying to juggle my day-to-day job as a modelling engineering at a small M&E company called RED Engineering Design, alongside my other projects: KVRC, One-Click CFD, Khamsin (which I should pick up again, but can't find the energy), and trying to organise for my wife and kids to follow me over here. I am very impressed by everyone's design skills - which vastly surpassed what I would be able to do. My involvement in KVRC is just because I am enjoying it and it gives me something interesting to talk about at dinner parties (sometimes)...

On the CFD modelling front, I am following up on the CoP issue. There is a definite possibility for a bug depending on a number of factors (in particular how the car is positioned on the road). For the first round I will run OCCFD with the current (potentially) incorrect CoP calculation as well as recalculate the CoP independently. Both values will be used in Virtual Stopwatch and the best outcome will be used. This is chosen as the bug is my fault (and I don't want to penalise anyone who made design decisions based on OCCFD). Moving forward a new release (patch 003) is available for download at http://www.khamsinvirtualracecarchallen ... edirects=0. This will be used in the second round onwards.

CAEdevice

Hi Julien, I think that the issue is only occasional and the error not to big (apart from the meshing problems you know, this year I have found a good consistency when comparing OCCF results with other,commercial, software).

N12ck

Hi,

My name is Nick and I am involved in the organisation of the challenge, I am concluding an Aerospace Engineering degree, and have a small amount of experience in Formula 1, I do it purely for the love of automotive aerodynamics and I will be becoming much more active in the challenge in the coming months.

Cheers
Nick
Budding F1 Engineer

MadMatt
MadMatt

I found out lately that sometimes the results don't make sense. For instance by changing 1-2 little things on the car the drag has been reduced by half. It wasn't high to start with thanks to my design approach, but now it is definitely too low to be true. I am happy with this but in all honesty I don't think this is correct, so what can I do?

CAEdevice

Hi Matt, such a difference could depend on a convergence issue or on a different positioning of the body from the standard.

MadMatt
MadMatt

It has converged and looks like it is positioned correctly. I haven't changed the location of the body or parts from the previous simulations but I observed that sometimes you get a value that is much different for a little design change.