Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

I see. It's quite difficult to give a complete opinion without taking a look to the geometry and to the numbers. Let's wait after the first race.

MadMatt
MadMatt

Yes. Maybe the few changes I did (there was quite a few of them to be honest, after Chris checked my car) had indeed a big impact on the car, but the car was already good to start with. Anyway yes let's see after the first race! :)

cdsavage
cdsavage

Not long now until the submission deadline for the first round :D

A few clarifications to make based on some of the entries I've seen so far:

In case there's any confusion about rules which have been changed, the PDF hosted on the KVRC site always serves as the current valid rule set. The current rulebook was released March 2nd (listed at the top of the PDF).

The submission should not include any templates - just the bodywork, inlet/outlets, and front/rear wing groups. Remember also to include the text file listing the offsets used for the parts that have been moved.

A couple of entries have had inlet and outlet surfaces which overlap a duplicate surface in the 'body' group. The body should have a hole where the inlet surface is, and this hole should be perfectly capped by the inlet surface, so that on our end, it is possible to join these back together into a continuous surface with no holes or overlapping surfaces. If this is difficult to do in the modelling package you are using, let me know through PMs or email.

A couple of entries have also had exhaust 'pipes' inside the exhaust outlet file. The exhaust outlet should only contain the circular outlet surface itself (as a boundary condition will be applied to this surface). Any surrounding bodywork should be inside the 'body' file.

Anyone using OCCFD should double check that they're using the latest version (http://www.khamsinvirtualracecarchallen ... -click-cfd), and that they're not moving the model upwards before simulation. For OCCFD releases from about mid-January onwards, the ground plane is expected to be Z=-44.5mm, so that the reference plane is Z=0 (ie, no movement is required from the position specified by the rulebook).

There was a point raised in another thread about how the 10mm thickness rule makes using gurneys difficult. What I would find acceptable (based on what is fairly reliably OK with the mesher) is if the base width of the gurney is 10mm, which reduces to 0 at the top, so it forms a triangular wedge like this:
For very tall shapes, with a 10mm base width the upper portion will obviously be quite thin over some length, so this really only valid for typical gurney sizes (probably no more than 50mm).

I'm still checking the early entries for legality, but today is probably the last chance to do this, as we're only 3 days away from the submission deadline.

CAEdevice

Hi Chris, how many teams are going to partecipate to first race?

cdsavage
cdsavage

So far, we have entries from:

PurePowerRacingTeam
CAEdevice
MercuryMotorsport
Variante
BrookMotorsport

There are at least 2 other teams I'm expecting an entry from. There may be more beyond that (there were 16 teams who confirmed their registration), but I haven't heard from any of these other teams recently.

CAEdevice

It would be great to see your car racing (without taking points) :)

crxdave
crxdave

Not sure I'm going to be ready to hit the first race... Have been having some teething issues with getting OCCFD up & running. Should I just bite the bullet & submit what I have?

CAEdevice

CRXdave team is "PurePowerRacingTeam"? His car is very interesting too.
What about JJR? Hope to see his car on the track.

CAEdevice

crxdave wrote:Not sure I'm going to be ready to hit the first race... Have been having some teething issues with getting OCCFD up & running. Should I just bite the bullet & submit what I have?
I was writing about you in the meanwhile.

My advice is to try to submit the car anyway: you can test the submission process and format and you can see how your car works.

RicME85

ARGH!

Have spent the morning making the last little changes to be 100% compliant with the rules and just as I go to start exporting to STL my PC decides its going to be a dick and crashes Sketchup as soon as it launches!

crxdave
crxdave

CAEdevice wrote:
crxdave wrote:Not sure I'm going to be ready to hit the first race... Have been having some teething issues with getting OCCFD up & running. Should I just bite the bullet & submit what I have?
I was writing about you in the meanwhile.

My advice is to try to submit the car anyway: you can test the submission process and format and you can see how your car works.
Thanks Matteo, have submitted my current design for review (under the team name DHRacing). Fingers crossed I've not missed anything & hopefully can get OCCFD running tonight! :)

JJR
JJR

CAEdevice wrote:CRXdave team is "PurePowerRacingTeam"? His car is very interesting too.

Thanks Matteo.
I have posted my design today.
I used OpenFoam 2.1 Linux version for CFD and not OCCFD, so I hope that my prediction will be OK.

CAEdevice

JJR wrote:
CAEdevice wrote:CRXdave team is "PurePowerRacingTeam"? His car is very interesting too.
I have posted my design today.
Great news! I wonder how you managed the 10mm minimum thickness rule (I remeber your 2014 design with a big number of fences).

JJR
JJR

I must removed gurneys from front and rear wing. I have tested rear diffuser with 2mm and 10mm thick fences and 10 mm
fences reduced downforce ClA by 0,15 :( .

CAEdevice

JJR wrote:I must removed gurneys from front and rear wing. I have tested rear diffuser with 2mm and 10mm thick fences and 10 mm
fences reduced downforce ClA by 0,15 :( .
I had similar results (I used only 2 or 4 fences into the diffuser, instead of 6)