Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vasconia

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

hpras wrote:Ummm... McLaren??? Honda??? Somewhat OT???
For a moment I have tought I was in the wrong post....

I have seen in a Spanish F1 site that Mclaren-Honda unlocked 25 cv in Malaysia which gave them the chance of closing the gap from the almost 4 seconds of Australia to the 2,8 seconds(more or less) of the last race. They still have another 120cv to unlock.But the reliability is still a great issue.

alexx_88
alexx_88

My opinion is that counting HP is over-simplifying. First of all, I have not seen any figures from Honda/Mclaren regarding how much power they are lacking. Secondly, besides raw power, the ability to harvest enough energy from the MGU-H, how that energy is then delivered and how reliable is the PU running with everything to the max are also very important questions. Ferrari last year is the best example. They were very close to Mercedes in raw power over one lap, but they couldn't harvest efficiently and had very poor drivability. As a consequence, the Renault ended up on top.

My opinion is that this is a path of exploring for Honda and Mclaren. Obviously, they know the situation much better, but from what I've seen so far, it's not about testing at 80% power, then increasing it to 85% for the next race and so on. Is more like test it at 80%, discover a bunch of problems, fix them, increase power again, repeat. Nobody is able to know how many cycles are going to be, nor how long is going to take. For all we know, their 100% power could be unachievable because of a major design flaw.

Thunder

turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Andres125sx

Thunders wrote:That's the Spirit.....
https://twitter.com/JensonButton/status ... 3115198464
OMG, that pic deserve to be displayed!
Jenson Button wrote:Some might say we #MclarenHonda have a mountain to climb, I say we're giving it everything and making good progress

:wtf:

diffuser

alexx_88 wrote:My opinion is that counting HP is over-simplifying. First of all, I have not seen any figures from Honda/Mclaren regarding how much power they are lacking. Secondly, besides raw power, the ability to harvest enough energy from the MGU-H, how that energy is then delivered and how reliable is the PU running with everything to the max are also very important questions. Ferrari last year is the best example. They were very close to Mercedes in raw power over one lap, but they couldn't harvest efficiently and had very poor drivability. As a consequence, the Renault ended up on top.

My opinion is that this is a path of exploring for Honda and Mclaren. Obviously, they know the situation much better, but from what I've seen so far, it's not about testing at 80% power, then increasing it to 85% for the next race and so on. Is more like test it at 80%, discover a bunch of problems, fix them, increase power again, repeat. Nobody is able to know how many cycles are going to be, nor how long is going to take. For all we know, their 100% power could be unachievable because of a major design flaw.

Agreed, well said.

Jolle
Jolle

diffuser wrote:
alexx_88 wrote:My opinion is that counting HP is over-simplifying. First of all, I have not seen any figures from Honda/Mclaren regarding how much power they are lacking. Secondly, besides raw power, the ability to harvest enough energy from the MGU-H, how that energy is then delivered and how reliable is the PU running with everything to the max are also very important questions. Ferrari last year is the best example. They were very close to Mercedes in raw power over one lap, but they couldn't harvest efficiently and had very poor drivability. As a consequence, the Renault ended up on top.

Agreed, well said.
To make F1 even more relative with the new green PU policies, they could show figures how efficient the PU is. Not just how much fuel is being used, but compare it with the amount of joules transmitted trough the rear wheels.

alexx_88
alexx_88

They couldn't really do that as it would offer too much information to the other teams. They'd be able to extract a lot of information regarding the competition's power output under a number of conditions and thus be able to reverse engineer a lot of the work that now acts as a differentiator between the PU suppliers.

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

Jolle wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Agreed, well said.
To make F1 even more relative with the new green PU policies, they could show figures how efficient the PU is. Not just how much fuel is being used, but compare it with the amount of joules transmitted trough the rear wheels.

Or even better for those 95% of the population that can't figure out what Joules mean, they could show an indication of how much a similary powerful V8 engine would be spending in fuel to achieve the same laps and lap times!

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Jolle wrote: To make F1 even more relative with the new green PU policies, they could show figures how efficient the PU is. Not just how much fuel is being used, but compare it with the amount of joules transmitted trough the rear wheels.
Even if they were to publish BSFC curves the general public will not understand them. Joe blogs only real world reference is their cars fuel economy measued in L/km, which doesn't translate into BSFC or thermal efficiency at all. Presenting a figure of 195 g/kWh might be interesting to an engineer but to the average person this is completely meaningless because they have no basis for comparison.
miguelalvesreis wrote: Or even better for those 95% of the population that can't figure out what Joules mean, they could show an indication of how much a similary powerful V8 engine would be spending in fuel to achieve the same laps and lap times!
They already do this, I hear on the commentary often that they used roughly 33% less fuel for the same power.

Jolle
Jolle

Cold Fussion wrote:
Jolle wrote: To make F1 even more relative with the new green PU policies, they could show figures how efficient the PU is. Not just how much fuel is being used, but compare it with the amount of joules transmitted trough the rear wheels.
Even if they were to publish BSFC curves the general public will not understand them. Joe blogs only real world reference is their cars fuel economy measued in L/km, which doesn't translate into BSFC or thermal efficiency at all. Presenting a figure of 195 g/kWh might be interesting to an engineer but to the average person this is completely meaningless because they have no basis for comparison.
miguelalvesreis wrote: Or even better for those 95% of the population that can't figure out what Joules mean, they could show an indication of how much a similary powerful V8 engine would be spending in fuel to achieve the same laps and lap times!
They already do this, I hear on the commentary often that they used roughly 33% less fuel for the same power.
It's interesting for geeks like us... and who knows, people might get educated ;-) plus it's getting more transparent. Other stuff I would think would be very interesting to see is the amount of downforce at any moment, like a small Newton or KG indicator on screen (together with te speed). It would make F1 a bit more insane for the viewers again.

TommyWTF1
TommyWTF1

That's pretty much been McLaren for the last few years.

George-Jung
George-Jung

Cold Fussion wrote:
Don't they just say that because of decreased size of fueltanks?
150L towards a 100L?

McG

TommyWTF1 wrote:
Sad but true and I was getting fed up with the same old message from them. But Alonso joining, even though I don't like him much, and the progress in speed in Malaysia were positive. Seems like in 2013 they put themselves at the bottom of the mountain. But in hindsight they were inevitably going to have a tough 2014 and 2015. Looking forward to China.
F1 is dead.

windwaves
windwaves

McG wrote:
TommyWTF1 wrote:
Sad but true and I was getting fed up with the same old message from them. But Alonso joining, even though I don't like him much, and the progress in speed in Malaysia were positive. Seems like in 2013 they put themselves at the bottom of the mountain. But in hindsight they were inevitably going to have a tough 2014 and 2015. Looking forward to China.
whatever man, but they screwed up huge for this season and they really did not have to. It is just unexcusable how completely wrong they got it.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

windwaves wrote:[
whatever man, they screwed up huge for this season and they really did not have to. It is just unexcusable how completely wrong they got it.
so.....the last 2 seasons were excusable, but this one isn't?
and....ferrari's last season's are excusable aswell?
and....redbull's current season is excusable aswell?

ah yes, i see, must be because those all aren't mclaren. as long as it ain't mclaren, eh? :roll:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"