IndyCar 2015

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
FW17

Re: IndyCar 2015

Artur Craft wrote:
djos wrote:I haven't seen much "IndyCar" racing since CART imploded (Hope you rot in hell Tony George!), is there much decent road course racing or is it boring still like NASCAR with 2 token road course races per season?
you have lost way better racing than f1, for instance, then, imho :|

The only thing that I would like to change is less improvised street races or on places on which straights are too short and, thus, overtaking is very difficult.

A race of this cars on COTA would be fantastic, I reckon. I guess Bernie has an agreement with the track organizers for that not to happen, which is a big pitty.
Cuky wrote: Those images are 3D renders...but that car was already tested at CoTA earlier this year. Here is a picture of it on the track in camouflage livery
I wonder if unofficial laptimes were mentioned somewhere. Given how much downforce these cars now have(likely quite more than F1), I think they wouldn't be far from F1, albeit having only 700HP and no DRS.

GP2 also had no DRS last year and I think their power is around 600HP. IIRC, the typical gap between F1 and GP2 poles was around 5s. Bridgestone/Firestone tires, used in Indycar, can also be faster than Pirellis, so a 2s gap would seem feasible, I guess.
lizardfolk wrote:
cossie wrote: They increased down force 25 percent with only 650,bhp.
And? IndyCar has more horsepower than GP2 and GP2 still has more downforce than IndyCar
I doubt that considering the current FW is a multi element monster with very high AoA and should generate way more downforce than even F1's. Can't see the rear of Indycar's being down on GP2(or F1) either. And tbh, these cars even look(when cornering) faster than F1s

Direct Comparison with Down Force just will not give you a decent Comparison

DP01 was said to be a decent Car with ground effects and Wings. It became the DP09 in Super League formula with a 750 HP V12 and Michelin Ttyres. Should Have expected Decent results

Monza
DP09 - 1:36.444
F1 2013 - 1:23.755
F1 2014 - 1:24.109

Nurburgring
DP09 - 1:43.652
F1 2013 - 1:29.398

wesley123
wesley123

I'm certain Indycars have less downforce than F1. F1 teams spend hundreds of millions every year, an indycar costs merely a fraction of that.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Jolle
Jolle

wesley123 wrote:I'm certain Indycars have less downforce than F1. F1 teams spend hundreds of millions every year, an indycar costs merely a fraction of that.
the amount of downforce has nothing to do with budget, it has to do with rules. The amount of money has to do with the ratio of downforce vs drag.

wesley123
wesley123

You need money to develop your aero, thus, with more money you can develop more. The cost of these aero package is quite small(certainly in comparison to F1), thus the aero package isn't as optimized as it could be.

Jolle
Jolle

wesley123 wrote:You need money to develop your aero, thus, with more money you can develop more. The cost of these aero package is quite small(certainly in comparison to F1), thus the aero package isn't as optimized as it could be.
and with optimizing it's all about drag vs downforce. To say it bluntly, any idiot can stick a big wing on a car, it's about the rules how big the wing can be and about the money how efficient the wing is. Except form having an open cockpit and that you can see rubber from above, F1 and Indycar are nothing alike.

wesley123
wesley123

This money spent isn't necessary drag vs. downforce. An F1 car generates a lot of it's downforce from complex details impossible to do with a significantly smaller budget. This is a thing where the aero kit makers don't have the sufficient funds to do such complex, detailed adjustments.

Surte, they can bolt on more wings, but that's just crude and unoptimized. And that is exactly why I think Indycars make less downforce. Their package simply isn't as optimized as the ones from big-budget F1 teams are.

Like you said, they can stick on a big wing that generates more downforce, but if you spend 100x more I'm certain you can develop a wing that generates as much, or more downforce than this huge wing,regardless of the ruleset.

turbof1

wesley123 wrote:This money spent isn't necessary drag vs. downforce. An F1 car generates a lot of it's downforce from complex details impossible to do with a significantly smaller budget. This is a thing where the aero kit makers don't have the sufficient funds to do such complex, detailed adjustments.

Surte, they can bolt on more wings, but that's just crude and unoptimized. And that is exactly why I think Indycars make less downforce. Their package simply isn't as optimized as the ones from big-budget F1 teams are.

Like you said, they can stick on a big wing that generates more downforce, but if you spend 100x more I'm certain you can develop a wing that generates as much, or more downforce than this huge wing,regardless of the ruleset.
Yes, but Jolle made a fine point: the rules are a lot more open, allowing to have more downforce producing devices 'en masse' then formula 1.

You can make a rear wing much more efficient then a cruder one, but at the end of the day having almost double the wing span will generate more downforce. Simply put, that's physics.

It's kind of quality vs. quantity; only the quality costs are exponentionally higher then the quantity costs of indycar. However, you are of course correct to point out F1 will have a much better aero efficiency. On the aero devices only however; indycar has way less wheel drag then F1.
#AeroFrodo

Cuky

Chevrolet has been punished by deducting 220 points from their tally because of illegal repairs on 11 out of 12 engines used in St. Petersburg. They are now on -92 points, 162 points behind Honda

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/groups/indyc ... t-penalty/

djos

Who is ilmor building engines for this year?
"In downforce we trust"

FW17

Chevrolet

hpras
hpras

Ilmor designed the Chevy engines. HPD does the Honda ones. Judd did the Lotus engines in 2012. Not sure he ever got paid for them.

FW17

New Orleans GP last weekend had a crowd of 8000 for the race :lol: :lol: :lol:

And people here were patting the backs of Indy Car Series for being fan friendly

Cuky

I would really like to know what FOM has to do with Indy Car :wtf:

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

WilliamsF1 wrote:New Orleans GP last weekend had a crowd of 8000 for the race :lol: :lol: :lol:

And people here were patting the backs of Indy Car Series for being fan friendly
That was a full house.

It's a club track for 362 days of the year so doesn't have massive grandstands everywhere.

For the 8000 who attended though, there was full, free paddock access to rub shoulders with drivers and team owners. =D>

R_Redding
R_Redding

In the next race I'm going to have a bet on the safety car winning.

I've never seen so may safety car periods as per the last two races. A highlights show for those races would only last 24mins * by the time the edits done.

Rob

* based on Totally made up data.