Mandatory seat in a generic team for young drivers

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
efuloni
efuloni

Mandatory seat in a generic team for young drivers

We talk a lot about how hard it is for young drivers to reach F1. And, unfortunately, we all know that they often depend of money as much as they depend of their talents.

But we also know that FOM has a lot of money. Would it ever be possible that they have a budget enough to sponsor some kind of generic team, carrying FOM's sponsors' logos? The drivers would be the champions of GP2 and F3, for example. The line-up would change every year, bringing new talented faces to the grid.

To be a fair game, they probably should not compete (at least in constructors), but it would be a nice way to allow young drivers to reach F1 and increase the number of starting cars at the same time.

The sponsors would get more time and space in TV (they would be in two cars), so I guess Bernie would be able to get a few more money from them, to help the budget of the team.

Old idols could be brought back to direct the team, people with experience and popular appeal.

Could be called something like "FOM's special team", or whatever. To dream a bit more, they could make a rule that this team will use the last year's champions chassis, with the adaptations necessary. So it would probably never be a 'race winner' team, but also not a new Caterham.

It could work like a 'training team'. New engine manufacturers could use it, other teams could send some young engineers, I don't know, I'm in a kind of brainstorm right now, I should shut up before I say even more nonsenses. LOL

Am I crazy? You can be sincere, I won't get offended, I swear. :mrgreen:

ps: sorry for my bad english.

AlainProst
AlainProst

Re: Mandatory seat in a generic team for young drivers

efuloni wrote:
ps: sorry for my bad english.
Where do you come from ?

Myself, I'm not english (I'm french) but this forum is good way to improve my english and to learn many technical things...

About your idea, I think you are dreaming because FOM (mainly Bernie) balk at give some money to the teams they never want spend money to create a team, when you know that this represents at least more than 80 millions of euros (2014 Caterham's budget)...

However, I'm agree with you when you say that young talented drivers can't reach F1 because they lack of money. it's the role of young driver programs as Red Bull, Lotus or McLaren. Indeed, it's not enough developed I think but rely on FOM to do that

Thanks !

wesley123
wesley123

I fail to see the point of it. It doesn't really seem like a solution to a problem, and only gives more problems.

First of all, the construction of the car. Mercedes would have to go out of their way to construct tubs, parts and what not for an obsolete car. They are fielding 4 cars then, and are seeing none of the money for it. Also would require Mercedes to build two specs of PUs, A 2014 spec, which was built for 5 units per season would have difficulty reaching the extended milage.

Also, in Mercedes'case, their W05 would possibly outpace backmarkers, I'm certain they would not like that, as those teams are too reliant on sponsorship money, and even money from their scored points and championship position.

But lets get that out of the way. such a team would house 2 drivers. I'm fairly certain there are far more young, talented drivers than those 2 championship winners. Thus, you are only giving 2 drivers a chance, which they were already given in GP2, GP3, F3 and whatnot. Those feeder series are specifically designed to give young drivers a shot for the big show; F1, we don't need another feeder team in F1 to feed into itself.

And then they get a chance for only one year, and then what? If they werent picked up by teams to begin with, why would that now be different?

The idea is pointless.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

f1316
f1316

wesley123 wrote: But lets get that out of the way. such a team would house 2 drivers. I'm fairly certain there are far more young, talented drivers than those 2 championship winners. Thus, you are only giving 2 drivers a chance, which they were already given in GP2, GP3, F3 and whatnot. Those feeder series are specifically designed to give young drivers a shot for the big show; F1, we don't need another feeder team in F1 to feed into itself.
Agree with most of what you say, but the current issue is that you can impress in gp2, go as far as winning the series, and still not get a chance in f1.

Not sure if this is the answer, but would be nice if there was some system that guaranteed the winner a seat, so see where he's coming from.

Gaz.
Gaz.

f1316 wrote:
wesley123 wrote: But lets get that out of the way. such a team would house 2 drivers. I'm fairly certain there are far more young, talented drivers than those 2 championship winners. Thus, you are only giving 2 drivers a chance, which they were already given in GP2, GP3, F3 and whatnot. Those feeder series are specifically designed to give young drivers a shot for the big show; F1, we don't need another feeder team in F1 to feed into itself.
Agree with most of what you say, but the current issue is that you can impress in gp2, go as far as winning the series, and still not get a chance in f1.

Not sure if this is the answer, but would be nice if there was some system that guaranteed the winner a seat, so see where he's coming from.
It'd be nice for a guaranteed seat but I don't remember such a thing ever occurring before? Does it happen in other areas of motorsport? Does a BTCC champion automatically get a drive in WTCC or DTM?

Unfortunately motorsport isn't a pure sport like golf where people progress on merit only (turn up to a PGA Tour event with a cheque from a sponsor and you'll be turned away if you haven't qualified).
Forza Jules

wesley123
wesley123

f1316 wrote:

imo winning the series is not enough, you have to truly impress. F1 isn't all driving alone, you have a team with whom you have to work together to constantly improve, and that's something you don't get to see in the point standings.

The "problem" is that teams have already got their drivers, most of the grid has earned their spot already and are certain of their seat, these spots wont be filled by a rookie, because why would they? This leaves only the bottom end teams open, and guess who need the pay drivers?

In the Indy Lights the championship winner gets prize money which he has to spend on a IRL seat. Via this, they get a chance. But IRL is a whole lot different on that aspect, there isn't a championship for teams, only for constructors and drivers, thus, there isn't any team interest. "Sure, you got the money to field us a car, we'll give you the car!", I don't think anyone cares how much you suck as long as you pay for your car.

In F1 that is a lot different, a team can only field 2 cars per race and it is n the teams personal interest to have the best pair possible. So even if you got the money, there still is the issue of the team possibly not wanting you, plus, the cost of a seat would be far bigger.

As the teams has their own interests at heart you can't really force them to just have a rookie in their team because someone else wants so, this bad choice could cost the team tens of millions of dollars in prize money, and no one would like that.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

efuloni
efuloni

AlainProst wrote: Where do you come from ?
Im from Brasil. :)

Well, guys, I was not saying my suggestion is doable nowadays and I don't even think that it could be done (Bernie wouldn't want/allow it). I was just saying it would be nice. Could bring some fresh air and faces to the grid, and atract some fans with the ideology that "if you are good enough, you can get there", not the "pay enough and get a car".

And I don't think anyone really thinks that a year in lower series is nearly good for a young driver as a year in F1. Of course it would be great for the young if they had this chance, even if its only for one year.

PlatinumZealot

I wish there were enough teams to have generic ones...
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™