Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
XRayF1
XRayF1

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

Jef Patat wrote: That sounds like chicken project management. Project management in R&D counts for mishaps. They admitted not of the size of pre season testing and then what? They can do a lot about it, throw more resources at it, shift resources, start working on stuff that you'd normally start only after certain verification, be more aggressive. How can we assess all that? It's an evolving process for sure, but you don't change the long term goals that quickly, we've only had three races.
Well, project management should include proper buffers for some circumstances, but it can't for all.
This is what you have a weighted risk log for, which result you include in your project plan.
Yes, you may be able to shift resources (did/do they have adequate resources to shift? Warm bodies is not enough in this new and highly competitive environment) and take some risks - but who is to say that Honda has not already eaten up all their risk buffer during the winter?
To my mind it looks like it, because e.g. I simply can't comprehend that something basic like a weak seal could not have been pre-tested before. I always read that Honda has something about 30 Dynos and all of them high-tech and everything, so how could they miss this?
This means to me that Honda thought they made more progress than it actually was, surprising them.

Not willing to opt out of it, they will accept a loss in 2015. However, their goal must be to minimize the loss. Get to the podium must be Honda's ultimate goal for 2015.
We all know - while the Honda PU may not lack power, it lacks reliability. Yet.
But by around Spielberg, they will have run out of officially allowed engines, forcing them to accept penalties, making it so much harder to shine and get to the podium.

skoop
skoop

XRayF1 wrote: To my mind it looks like it, because e.g. I simply can't comprehend that something basic like a weak seal could not have been pre-tested before. I always read that Honda has something about 30 Dynos and all of them high-tech and everything, so how could they miss this?
becouse a simulation is always a model of reality with certain resitricions/areas that can't be recreated. for exemple you can't simulate g forces or teperatures on your dyno. you actually have to run the car to get values of that are. there are propably 1000 more things you just can't simulate or model.

Andres125sx

davidfroshanzen wrote:I think you should also look at race pace of McLaren in, beginning of the race I saw he was still lagging more than 1 second perlap from midfield
Where? Sepang?

Not sure if that´s true since I saw them fighting with some cars (both in Sepang and China) and if one second slower they would be too far back

Anycase probably with the full tank the lack of power is more noticeable

XRayF1
XRayF1

skoop wrote:
XRayF1 wrote: To my mind it looks like it, because e.g. I simply can't comprehend that something basic like a weak seal could not have been pre-tested before. I always read that Honda has something about 30 Dynos and all of them high-tech and everything, so how could they miss this?
becouse a simulation is always a model of reality with certain resitricions/areas that can't be recreated. for exemple you can't simulate g forces or teperatures on your dyno. you actually have to run the car to get values of that are. there are propably 1000 more things you just can't simulate or model.
Absolutely. I fully concur.
However, I also see this as in indicator that Honda actually did not see that coming - or at least that such fault was way down their list of things to do. And that they were unable to compensate.
For obvious reasons it delayed any significant driving for a couple of weeks and only now Honda is able to up the ante.

Kiril Varbanov

EB talks performance enhancements after Barcelona - http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-web ... elona.html

mclaren111

EB Interview:
Q: Can you explain where the biggest glitches are? Some of the drivers say after they follow a McLaren that the car looks fantastic in the corners - so is pace all that has to be added?
Based on the above, is it because of lower corner entry speed or that the car actually is good ??

Andres125sx

interesting interview

Q: There is a rumour that you will bring a new iteration of engine in Barcelona...

EB: No, no, not in Barcelona - but from Barcelona onwards there will be performance enhancements regularly. That will mean Barcelona, Monaco - all the races until the summer shut down. The magic 'huge, change everything packages' are finished these days but we will have a new base that will allow us to keep bringing more performance in the short term.
I think this reply some questions asked in this thread....

As well as this
Last race we were just a tenth off the midfield pack and if we can unlock just a bit more performance we probably can jump some of them and be in a better position in qualifying.
Same I said just some replies above, right now they´re just behind the midfield group, and improving some tenths will make them improve several positions

Andres125sx

Alonso said we´ll see first big step on next GP, Barcelona. Also on next one they should do it better as it will be Monaco and the PU is not that important there, so overall picture of McLaren-Honda should improve on next GPs

http://www.marca.com/2015/04/20/motor/f ... 42355.html

I hope so :)

Vasconia

Andres125sx wrote:Alonso said we´ll see first big step on next GP, Barcelona. Also on next one they should do it better as it will be Monaco and the PU is not that important there, so overall picture of McLaren-Honda should improve on next GPs

http://www.marca.com/2015/04/20/motor/f ... 42355.html

I hope so :)
Barcelona is usually where teams bring the biggest updates of the year. If they dont improve a lot there... #-o

mclaren111

ESPN:
Eric Boullier believes McLaren can be competitive this year but is targeting the end of next season to get back to full strength.
Seems to me that lately Mclaren are getting less & less confident :( :(

Thunder

mclaren111 wrote: Seems to me that lately Mclaren are getting less & less confident :( :(
Actually my impression is quite the opposite. Everyone in the Team seems very confident, motivated and absolutely willing to bring this Partnership to Glory.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Gaz.
Gaz.

Thunders wrote:
mclaren111 wrote: Seems to me that lately Mclaren are getting less & less confident :( :(
Actually my impression is quite the opposite. Everyone in the Team seems very confident, motivated and absolutely willing to bring this Partnership to Glory.
They certainly don't sound like it. Initially they said they'd be competitive by the 'European Season' when the MP4-29H ran at Abu Dhabi, then after winter testing they'd be competitive "in the summer". The competitiveness was then pushed back to late season 2015 and even at Bahrain various snippets suggested that a 2016 championship push was still on the cards. Last night it emerges that they don't think they'll be competitive until late 2016.... that doesn't sound too confident to me unless they are trying to game the betting markets into giving them long odds for next year (a joke btw).
Forza Jules

mclaren111

This would look great on the nose:

Vasconia

Gaz. wrote:
Thunders wrote:
They certainly don't sound like it. Initially they said they'd be competitive by the 'European Season' when the MP4-29H ran at Abu Dhabi, then after winter testing they'd be competitive "in the summer". The competitiveness was then pushed back to late season 2015 and even at Bahrain various snippets suggested that a 2016 championship push was still on the cards. Last night it emerges that they don't think they'll be competitive until late 2016.... that doesn't sound too confident to me unless they are trying to game the betting markets into giving them long odds for next year (a joke btw).
They just changed the dates because of the terrible start. I think that they are confindent with the car´s development. But instead of being competitive in summer they would have to wait until october. 2016 is the important season for this project, all the work has to be focused on this season, not in trying to achieve fast but not so good solutions.

shady07
shady07

You can read it however you want. Could be that they mean, by summer they will be competitive with Mercedes / Ferrari, by end of 2016 they will dominate :roll:
My question, why I wrote this post. Maybe was discussed, but I didn’t notice it. McLaren can/will use this year average of token spent by other teams. Will they be able to spend the rest (difference to fully available by other teams in 2015) in 2016?