Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
aleks_ader

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

Ahh it optical illusion. Its hard to guess the thickes of the "attach" point and the rest of the pillar when is "mould" on. So this mold could be made from fiberglass? Anyone?
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

SectorOne

Hot air exit modified again? Seems the lower outer edges of it has been pulled down to the floor but maybe it was always like that. Can´t really see that well on other images..
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

aleks_ader

SectorOne wrote:Hot air exit modified again? Seems the lower outer edges of it has been pulled down to the floor but maybe it was always like that. Can´t really see that well on other images..
I think it was indeet uo down the flooor. They introduce this in preseaosn test when they show 1st major Barcelona update package. This pic is from Melbourne;

"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

SectorOne

I know about the winglet since before but it looks like they have pulled the holes down to the floor as well.
But again, might be just the image making it look like that.

Ill make a PS when i get home from work.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

PlatinumZealot

More sculpting at the base of the nose cone?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

diego.liv2
diego.liv2

A Chrome livery that gives these effects most of the time?? 8)

Morteza

© Giorgio Piola
Formula1.com wrote:As they did at the last round in China, Mercedes are using this rear wing for the Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir. The flap’s chord is cut near to the endplate (red arrow). Also as in China, Mercedes have no monkey seat on the car here, in order to help achieve a better top speed - quite important at this track.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ArgyrisB
ArgyrisB

While i do seem to get that a vortex forms when high pressure air collapses with low pressure, i am confused why this happens only in the first airfoil and not in airfoils number two and three. When you make the tunnel, you actually redirect the high pressure air above the wing to collapse with the low pressure underneath?

salva021291
salva021291

hi, i eard that mercedes use the variable intake trumpets, but i know that this is used like a natural way to introduce more aria through pressure wave. But if engine is already turbocharched because they use also variable intake trumpets that slightly increases the volumetric efficiency respect to the compressor?

turbof1

I'm currently touching up my drawings of the FW. I always left out some details, which I'm adressing right now.

Some very good news, is that chuckdanny is making CAD renders of the wing! So he'll be able run CFD analyses on those.

I've also come to terms to what I reasoned wrong. I'll wait however with further statements before we really have CFD images.

Together with the discussion that was ran a couple of days ago, I decided to split the front wing discussion from the main topic. It deserves the attention due both future prospects and current debate. I'll do so tommorrow, to give enough time to notice.
#AeroFrodo

dren

turbof1 wrote:Some very good news, is that chuckdanny is making CAD renders of the wing! So he'll be able run CFD analyses on those.
Awesome, can't wait for some validation! :)
Honda!

salva021291
salva021291

no one answer my question?? Thank you

iichel
iichel

Could a blown front axle reduce the amount of air passing on the inside of the wheel?

I mean, they take air from the brake duct and blow it out on the outside, effectively reducing flow between the wheel and the nose/body.

turbof1

iichel wrote:Could a blown front axle reduce the amount of air passing on the inside of the wheel?

I mean, they take air from the brake duct and blow it out on the outside, effectively reducing flow between the wheel and the nose/body.
A bit, yes. Although there many factors inbetween influences that (not in the least front wing and brake duct!). However it's not as simple as "we try to reach the best optimum between air on the inside and increased blown front axle efficiency". Blown front axles require you to have built the car around it.

Furthermore, the air right on the inside of wheel is quite dirty airflow. You'd probably not so much rob airflow from under the nosecone due the Y250 vortex, but perhaps airflow that was intended to cool the brake disks, or for the radiators of the sidepods.
#AeroFrodo

iichel
iichel

For sure it's not that simple due to many interactions of airflows and adapting upstream.

But it helps maybe a bit in understanding why some teams now go with a blown axle.