Red Bull RB11 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Red Bull RB11 Renault

R_Redding wrote:C.Horner said on the BBC live coverage that they had taken the blown axles off the car ,as they cause a lot of drag ...
So I assume at Hungary its not so much of an issue...but I doubt if they'll stay on the car for Spa and Monza.

Rob
That is very interesting because naturally you would think that the object of blowing the axle is to reduce drag from the wheels!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Really? I would naturally assume that blowing the axle was done to alter the flow around the wheel and therefore behind the wheel. This would be done to help the aerodynamics at the rear of the car work better. So you blow the axle to improve downforce at the expense of a bit of extra drag - the drag coming from turning and channelling the air through a small tube.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

djos

So Hungary provides more proof the RB11 is no dog, if Renault had the same power as Ferrari imo RedBull would be challenging Mercedes!
"In downforce we trust"

ringo

Yes they tweaked their aero a bit, but generally they weren't lying when they said they had a good chassis.
I think Renault did improve their power unit over the break which allowed redbull to increase downforce on their chassis as well.
For Sure!!

djos

Red Bull RB11 Renault

ringo wrote:Yes they tweaked their aero a bit, but generally they weren't lying when they said they had a good chassis.
I think Renault did improve their power unit over the break which allowed redbull to increase downforce on their chassis as well.
Dan's comments seem to indicate the extra grunt comes from new Total fuel, not Renault getting their Crap together.
"In downforce we trust"

Godius

ME4ME

It's grey and has lot's of fins.. and takes a bite out of you're front wing because it's trying to prove just how hungry it is :)

LuisFeF1

Red Bull with a new front wing in Hungary

It's a mix between Austria and Silverstone
Austria front wing with the main plane of Silverstone version

djos

Red Bull RB11 Renault

Great race and great evidence the RB11 chassis is performing well, Hamilton couldn't get by Ricciardo until Mercedes gave him permission to use the overtake engine mode, up to that point Dan was holding him up rather well.
Last edited by djos on 29 Jul 2015, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

PhillipM
PhillipM

With the regs the way they are at the minute, that happens with any car that isn't a least a second a lap slower tbh.

wesley123
wesley123

djos wrote:So Hungary provides more proof the RB11 is no dog, if Renault had the same power as Ferrari imo RedBull would be challenging Mercedes!
I disagree, them performing well here(and Monaco) just show that they got a large amount of downforce, and a good car is more than just downforce.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

djos

wesley123 wrote:
djos wrote:So Hungary provides more proof the RB11 is no dog, if Renault had the same power as Ferrari imo RedBull would be challenging Mercedes!
I disagree, them performing well here(and Monaco) just show that they got a large amount of downforce, and a good car is more than just downforce.
Did you think about what you wrote? Let's think about this logically for a moment:

large downforce* = good traction, good braking, good tire management (reduced slip, improved surface contact etc etc)

add to that a top class PU and how would the RB11 not be fighting for wins and podiums at every circuit?

clearly Mercedes have excellent efficient downforce as Williams may be quick in a straight line but are widely considered to be lacking downforce by comparison and typically suffer worse tire wear as a result.

On the other hand Monaco and Hungary prove the RB11 has excellent downforce and is lacking the PU to be truly competitive.

*assuming it's efficient (DF vs Drag) by F1 standards and we know Adrian Newey hasnt forgotten how to design a top Aero package.
"In downforce we trust"

Juzh

Mercs do have better mechanical grip. Especially in off camber corners. Last turn in hungary they were also by far the best (hamilton most evidently easily hugging a tight line). RB was second best, ferrari third.

djos

Mercedes do have the PU to enable running an optimal down force solution, surely this continues to mechanical grip too?

Tbh I don't know if RedBull were able to run optimal aero at Hungary due to the power deficit? Does this pay a role in mechanical grip if they couldn't?
"In downforce we trust"

Juzh

djos wrote:Mercedes do have the PU to enable running an optimal down force solution, surely this continues to mechanical grip too?

Tbh I don't know if RedBull were able to run optimal aero at Hungary due to the power deficit? Does this pay a role in mechanical grip if they couldn't?
Hungary is a track where they would be least affected by the power deficit one would think (and monaco), so if there's a track to run max aero it's this one.
I don't think it would play a massive role anyway. That corner is not fast enough for aero to really shine trough. Very similar to the last chicane in barcelona which mercs have dominated since 2013.