2016-2017 chassis and engine rules (proposed)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: 2016-2017 chassis and engine rules (proposed)

Not negative for this renewed approach, but some points :

- why does this rendering not have 18" wheels? it's as good as certain there will be 18" by then

- not liking the indy/A1gp style rear wing. the rear angle i can live with, but the front of the wing needs to be like
the current ones.

- a monkey seat would improve the look of the rear too.

- i thought there were comments on the length of modern F1 cars? this one is even longer! + i think these new wings will cause more incidents of contact. I personally prefer a tad shorter cars with wings and noses tighter towards the wheels to improve cars driving close to eachother on track and making overtaking more exciting with less risk of contact.

apart from that, i like it, but i don't think it'll be very representative of the final product. so, let's wait and see.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

SectorOne

Looking at the 17 aero in the video i was wondering what the deal was with everything being swept sideways?
Rear wing swept back, front wing angled, flow conditioners swept forward etc
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

astracrazy
astracrazy

I think thats there idea of making it look aggressive. I don't like it, in fact i think this current spec looks better.

SectorOne

Does it have any effect on the speeds generated in F1? I know planes like the SU-47 and stuff have forward swept wings because there´s a reason for it and was curious if something similar was thought of for the new F1 regs.

Wiki on the forward swept wings of the SU-37
The swept-forward wing, compared to a swept-back wing of the same area, provides a number of advantages:

higher lift-to-drag ratio
better agility in dogfight situations
higher range at subsonic speed
improved stall resistance and anti-spin characteristics
improved stability at high angles of attack
a lower minimum flight speed
a shorter take-off and landing distance
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Where are the regulations for these drawings? Are they only concepts based on the FIA statement?

The rear wing is lower and a steeper diffuser angle with lead to a combined interaction of the two. Wider wings and floor all contribute to a significant increase in downforce, which will eventually lead to more drag. If DRS is allowed in the regs, the DRS lengths in each GP will be another parameter to tune. Dont really see the point in increasing car length or width, might just lead to more collisions.

turbof1

n_anirudh wrote:Where are the regulations for these drawings? Are they only concepts based on the FIA statement?

The rear wing is lower and a steeper diffuser angle with lead to a combined interaction of the two. Wider wings and floor all contribute to a significant increase in downforce, which will eventually lead to more drag. If DRS is allowed in the regs, the DRS lengths in each GP will be another parameter to tune. Dont really see the point in increasing car length or width, might just lead to more collisions.
The drag issue will solve itself - teams will simply run less steep wing angles. The most important thing to note is that the drag/lift coëfficient increases by quite a lot. The wider rear wing will keep downforce more consistent.

Also note the wider tyres, which will increase mechanical grip.

The larger bargeboards are very nice too. It'll aid massively.

I think all in all these changes are very nice. I don't really follow Paola how he got to the conclusion that several pieces of bodywork will be angled. It looks great, but I don't see that happening. Still, the changes are nice.
#AeroFrodo

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

True, they look good. I believe the depth of the rear wing+flap was reduced for less drag in 2014 ; as the new power units would start off with lower hp.

The sidepods seem angled back along with the rear endplates. Perhaps these are made by the artist himself, based on the FIA statement which says that cars would be aggressive looking. Personally, I dont see it happening.

I look forward to improvements on the powertrain side as well.

I would have liked to see some sort of closed cockpits as well and hope for stability in the regulations for a while.

f1316
f1316

I thought the whole idea was to do something fairly radical that would increase visual appeal?

I think the average man on the street wouldn't even notice the difference.

GPR-A duplicate2

F1 gets tracks limit clampdown and noisier cars
The statement said: "For 2016, all cars must have a separate exhaust wastegate tailpipe through which all and only wastegate exhaust gases must pass.

"This measure has been undertaken to increase the noise of the cars and will not have any significant effect on power or emissions."
Can anyone out there, draw a simple diagram of how the new layout of exhaust might look like?

FW17

2 pipes at least, while some may have 3

bhall II
bhall II

GPR-A wrote:
"This measure has been undertaken to increase the noise of the cars and will not have any significant effect on power or emissions."
I can't wait!

Thunder

Pat Symonds on the Progress of the 2017 Rule changes:

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12476/ ... le-changes

So they are going with the Delta shaped Wings. Nice nice.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

The statement said: "For 2016, all cars must have a separate exhaust wastegate tailpipe through which all and only wastegate exhaust gases must pass.
Can I just highlight the word "pass" here. Would there be a team out there that doesn't read "pass" as "exit"?

If so, is there any performance advantage to that?

turbof1

KeiKo403 wrote:
Can I just highlight the word "pass" here. Would there be a team out there that doesn't read "pass" as "exit"?

If so, is there any performance advantage to that?
Not yet since it still needs to get shaped into technical regulation wordings. At this moment a separate exhaust wastegate tailpipe is forbidden if I'm correct, so extensive changes in this area have to be made first.
#AeroFrodo

Eniasqurku
Eniasqurku

Humans never seem to be satisfied. What shall we do? We had extremely good looking cars in mid 2000s then we got rid of them to aid overtaking. Which they achieved and i didnt like it then when everybody could pass anyone on the straight without having to fight. Which was an exciting race? Of course imola 2006 when driver made a difference and you were staring and wondering what will happen next. So overtaking its not the problem. Parity is. Make the cars more or less of the same level of performance (not look) and we will see great battles as those of 2008 or first half of 2012. As for the 2017 regs the car looks ugly , i like the current ones only add wider tyres bigger diffuser and you are ok to go. Why should we go backwards and imitate the 90s and 2000s instead of embracing the future and produce cars like those of adrian newey red bull x or whatever its called.?!!!