Silly season 2016

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Silent Storm
Silent Storm

Re: Silly season 2016

Kimi was kicked out by Ferrari and now he is back in the team and says Ferrari is his family. Funny how things change. So Alonso back in Ferrari wouldn't surprise me.
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

Phil

Kimi is a driver with entirely different prospects. He never left the Scuderia by free will or turned his back on them. He was effectively ousted. Then re-hired, not entirely as a team-leader (I don't think he ever had those character traits). He's a very different driver to Alonso. Kimi is back at Ferrari because it made sense for him. Lotus was going downwards and Ferrari needed a solid consistent driver on the wake of Alonso leaving. He'd also get his salary there. I'm really not sure what Kimi being back at Ferrari has any remote relevance to the same happening to Alonso.

As I said;

Scenario 1: Ferrari remain 2nd to Mercedes for the foreseeable future. Alonso has no point in going back to Ferrari. He's been there, done that.
Scenario 2: Ferrari win a championship in 2016 with Vettel. Ferrari have no reason to resign Alonso and upset a 'winning formula'.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

zeph
zeph

I don't see Alonso going back to Ferrari. It would be weird.

But not as weird as him going back to McLaren!

So...

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

Fair point. If they win the WDC next year they wouldn't want to upset Vettel but then I see they will retain Kimi for another year or two as he will be the perfect number 2 driver plus he has a good relation with Vettel.

Alonso left Mclaren in even more bad terms than he left Ferrari but he went back didn't he but now he does not have 5 more years to wait for Mclaren's resurgence and Alonso has been in F1 long enough to know what his chances are to fight for WDC if next years car is a slouch. But you have a point even if he wants to go to Ferrari they wouldn't want intra team battle/rivalry so they will either retain Kimi again as it's the safest option or get Bottas. (As Long as we are speculating why not stretch it a little bit) with that even Massa has a chance as he is a proven number 2 and Vettel wouldn't have to worry about him as I don't think any of the Williams driver are any faster than Kimi maybe a bit more consistent.

mertol

Kimi is not perfect anything. One thing is sure - unless Ferrari can make a car 1 second faster than everyone else they won't win constructor's title with Kimi in the team.

UglyTroll
UglyTroll

Why have perfect number 2 Kimi when you can have perfect number 2 Vettel. They should have tried to take Ricciardo, Button or Alonso again.

LionKing
LionKing

mertol wrote:Kimi is not perfect anything. One thing is sure - unless Ferrari can make a car 1 second faster than everyone else they won't win constructor's title with Kimi in the team.
Kimi is not in top driver league but he is not that bad either. He comfortably beat Romain Grosjean in both seasons at Lotus. Although he was slower in quali, the race finishes were lopsidedly in favor of Kimi. In 2012 finished 3rd in WDC, in front of both McLarens which were the best car that season.

If Ferrari can close the gap to Merc then I think they might have the edge for WCC.

mertol

Kimi fans are so funny in their denial

LionKing
LionKing

Well, I am not a Kimi fan...

mertol

Mclaren best car in 2012 is a thing only a kimi fan can come up with.

LionKing
LionKing

McLaren was quite clearly the best car in 2012.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

Phil said it a page back that 2012 Mclaren was a winning car and I think he is a Lewis fan.. So try again to come up with something funny.

mertol

What wasn't a winning car in 2012? Doesn't make it best car.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

Go and read his post and come up with your conclusion.

mertol

1. He never says it's the best car.
2. Phil is not some kind of authority on car bestness...
3. Lotus was by far the best car but Redbull, Ferrari and Mclaren were also capable of winning the championship thanks to the poor drivers lotus had.