Williams FW38 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: Williams FW38 Mercedes

It was a common setup until it got outlawed.

People still found a way to fit this "auxiliary wing" to the small endplates for years after that when it got banned for good.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Blackout wrote:
LookBackTime wrote:Mounted a high speed camera to the wings mainplane, which looks across at the checkered stickers.

http://cdn-3.motorsport.com/images/amp/ ... detail.jpg
What are those checkered stickers for, again? many teams are using them nowadays... to monitor flexibility?
with a a high frame rate camera they record the displacement (vertical - it is priority and horizontal - less priority
)

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Sevach
Sevach

Running that extra wing, but with DRS part open is very strange.

bhall II
bhall II

Sevach wrote:Running that extra wing, but with DRS part open is very strange.
From my perspective, they're not running 2017-level downforce; they're running 2017-level drag in a way that won't totally screw up its native configuration. In other words, I think they're doing PU work for Mercedes.

Since drag squares with speed, and the power needed to overcome it is cubed, getting engine mapping right is hugely important, especially with the convoluted nature of today's powertrains.

Martin_F

The DRS flap would be a way to fine tune the down force, right? Since the rear wing looks pretty much non adjustable.
But the DRS flap looks to be partly opened in the pictures.

dren

Williams has historically had slow speed rear issues with the design direction of their recent cars. I would take a guess they are seeing what more rear DF does to their current chassis to see/prove that more DF is needed instead of a mechanical change.

Or maybe it is just a simulation of anticipated 2017 rear wing performance?

If it was a simple drag vs PU issue, why add such a complex wing?
Honda!

bhall II
bhall II

The flap arrangement - the large slot gap - and the forward bias of the upper "test wing" appendage are two of the reasons why I think it's mainly a drag rig of sorts. It all looks like a way to avoid as much as possible altering the relationship between the rear wing and the diffuser. Those two components have to work together or else the whole car will get screwed up, including the front wing.

Incidentally, the front wing "stays" mounted to the camera pods are the third reason why I think it's a drag rig.

Like most teams, Williams seem to run anisotropic flaps that flex under load - mainly horizontal loading from incoming air flow - in order to reduce the wing's angle of attack and shed downforce/drag at the end of straights...

The camera pod stays seem likely to prevent that sort of flex in a way that wouldn't alter existing aero maps...
Sevach wrote:Image

tomazy
tomazy

I think that they are just experimenting with aero balace. They can use DRS to adjust rear downforce on the run without entering the pits. So my guess is, that, those things connecting the front wing and camera pods would change the angle of the wing to adjust front downforce without entering the pits as well. They can go throu many more configurations with this system. The front wing can probably generate more downforce on its own, where they needed the extra wing for the back if they wanted optimal balance at the back with front wing configuration for max front end downforce.

I hope you guys know what I wanted to say [-o<

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

tomazy wrote:I think that they are just experimenting with aero balace. They can use DRS to adjust rear downforce on the run without entering the pits. So my guess is, that, those things connecting the front wing and camera pods would change the angle of the wing to adjust front downforce without entering the pits as well. They can go throu many more configurations with this system. The front wing can probably generate more downforce on its own, where they needed the extra wing for the back if they wanted optimal balance at the back with front wing configuration for max front end downforce.

Very interesting ideea! So they have an active (semi-active) aero balance system :)

tomazy
tomazy

LookBackTime wrote:
tomazy wrote:I think that they are just experimenting with aero balace. They can use DRS to adjust rear downforce on the run without entering the pits. So my guess is, that, those things connecting the front wing and camera pods would change the angle of the wing to adjust front downforce without entering the pits as well. They can go throu many more configurations with this system. The front wing can probably generate more downforce on its own, where they needed the extra wing for the back if they wanted optimal balance at the back with front wing configuration for max front end downforce.

Very interesting ideea! So they have an active (semi-active) aero balance system :)
That would be my guess yes, the extra wing is there so that they have more room to play with.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

That means with a "perfect aero balanced" car they could test how the tyre behave on short - long runs!

Quite interesting.
With this rig they raised into my eyes :)

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Massa out again.

Martin_F

Does anybody know if Williams used their new nose/front wing at all during testing?
All the pictures I've seen had the old setup, even when not combined with the double-decker rear wing.

It just seems strange to me when they are telling us that they've only gotten 50% out of the new equipment, but when they have a chance to learn more about it, they're not taking advantage of it.