Mercedes AMG F1 W07

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Jolle
Jolle

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W07

dans79 wrote:
Jolle wrote: I think I've seen the gear ratios somewhere on F1T and the Mercedes cars have very long first gears. It might be just the case they are a bit more dependent of a slight slipping clutch at the start then the Ferraris or the Williams
That's an interesting hypothesis.

It still baffles me that they haven't been able to get on top of this.
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =4&t=24063

A-Bap

dans79 wrote:
Jolle wrote: I think I've seen the gear ratios somewhere on F1T and the Mercedes cars have very long first gears. It might be just the case they are a bit more dependent of a slight slipping clutch at the start then the Ferraris or the Williams

MGU K-only mode to get a good launch off right off the line before the ICE kicks in? But I agree, there's something about the SF16-H that delivers a real advantage.

hurril
hurril

A-Bap wrote:
dans79 wrote:

MGU K-only mode to get a good launch off right off the line before the ICE kicks in? But I agree, there's something about the SF16-H that delivers a real advantage.
Illegal.

dans79

hurril wrote: Illegal.
by what rule?
197 104 103 7

graham.reeds
graham.reeds

Ferraripilot wrote:I've always been certain all formula 1 wheels for some time have been of forged magnesium, but with Mercedes' heat sink wheel design they've used since W04, I can't see how such a design could be forged via the traditional process. Could it be possible they are using cast magnesium? If so, the wheel would be about a kilo heavier. If not, anyone care to explain how such a design could possibly be forged.
Either Mercedes are employing a graduate of Hogwarts to put grooves in their wheels or they use a lathe.

It's just a normal wheel that's been lathed.

dans79

graham.reeds wrote:It's just a normal wheel that's been lathed.
You would not use a lathe for that, as the groves are parallel to the axis of rotation.

it would have to be a shaper (unlikely), or a muli-axis machining center with a fairly small head.
197 104 103 7

domh245
domh245

dans79 wrote:
by what rule?
In the technical regulation's PU energy flow diagram, it notes that the MGU-K cannot be used before the car has hit 100km/h (unless starting from the pitlane)

Jolle
Jolle

domh245 wrote:
dans79 wrote:
by what rule?
In the technical regulation's PU energy flow diagram, it notes that the MGU-K cannot be used before the car has hit 100km/h (unless starting from the pitlane)
So, starting must be done with the ICE and Turbo alone, what gives Mercedes a disadvantage because they have lower RPM until the MGU-K kicks in. Lower RPM = less power and less control. The longer clutch paddle is a nice touch, but because the Ferrari's don't have to slip the clutch as long/hard as the Mercedes drivers.
Like driving off the lights in a road car in second or third (prob made worse with the extra fuel restrictions below the 10.500 rpm). And it's not a problem Mercedes can solve this season.

graham.reeds
graham.reeds

dans79 wrote:
You would not use a lathe for that, as the groves are parallel to the axis of rotation.

it would have to be a shaper (unlikely), or a muli-axis machining center with a fairly small head.
I still think it is a lathe. I wrote software for them back in the noughties and have seen similar things done.

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

graham.reeds wrote:
dans79 wrote:

I still think it is a lathe. I wrote software for them back in the noughties and have seen similar things done.
A lathe won't be used to cut grooves like that. Milling machine, machining centre, but not a lathe.

dans79

so according to Lewis/motorsport the clutch was slipping to much.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/clutc ... da-778411/
"Clutch warm, and low torque," said Hamilton when asked what the cause was. "So I let the clutch out and the clutch didn't deliver the torque, the torque was very low compared to Nico's.

"Nico had the torque, not as expected, but still better torque. So my clutch was just slipping. I did the procedure exactly as I was asked to, so I didn't make any mistakes with it.
"The formation start was fantastic, I let the clutch out and it was perfect, perfect torque, no wheelspin. Came round, did exactly what they asked me to do, and the damn thing just slips."
197 104 103 7

Jolle
Jolle

dans79 wrote:
so according to Lewis/motorsport the clutch was slipping to much.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/clutc ... da-778411/
"Clutch warm, and low torque," said Hamilton when asked what the cause was. "So I let the clutch out and the clutch didn't deliver the torque, the torque was very low compared to Nico's.

"Nico had the torque, not as expected, but still better torque. So my clutch was just slipping. I did the procedure exactly as I was asked to, so I didn't make any mistakes with it.
"The formation start was fantastic, I let the clutch out and it was perfect, perfect torque, no wheelspin. Came round, did exactly what they asked me to do, and the damn thing just slips."
It's all reletive of course. I can have a good start from the lights in second gear. But if there is a guy in first next to me, he's going to beat me.

henry

dans79 wrote:
" nothing to do with me, nope"

Never is.

The change in communication rules have exposed both the engineers and the drivers to a new set of challenges. It looks like Mercedes and their drivers still have a lot of work to do.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

sprint car76
sprint car76

This is simply a problem with both mercs. Ferrari has a better system than merc by a mile. They need to fix this quick. Vettel drove around both mercs. This just not hamiltons problem.

OO7
OO7

Kimi's start on the other hand was just as bad as Lewis'. I'd say it was about on par with Rosberg's if we exclude Kimi's slow reaction time.
Last edited by OO7 on 14 Jun 2016, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.