Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ReoPTy
ReoPTy

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

abitboul confirmed 2 ex renault french ingeneer from mercedes working on very specific technologies came back to viry home during the winter ..

anzx
anzx

As for Renault, Marko insisted he is happy with Red Bull's engine supplier. "In 2015 I was not smiling because we had no chance, and mostly not because of us," he said. "Now Renault is giving us a good engine, we will soon have an even better version and - most importantly - a completely new engine for 2017. I am sure that we will fight for the title," Marko added. (GMM)
So Marko confirmed that Renault will bring more upgrades this year.

Source

Pierce89

ReoPTy wrote:abitboul confirmed 2 ex renault french ingeneer from mercedes working on very specific technologies came back to viry home during the winter ..
They'll use any spin to pretend like it wasn't poaching Mercedes people to catch up, but regardless, just like Ferrari, it's what they did. The only difference is when Ferrari poached some MBHPE guys, the helmet claimed Merc was "helping" Ferrari.

So, is Mercedes "helping" Renault, now?
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Probably Renault threatened to sabotage the 1.5d a-class engine and Citan vans.

r101
r101

Not to forget 1.6 dci with one and two turbochargers, plus complete Smart production in Renault factory in Slovenia.. :)

langwadt
langwadt

afaiu Renault-Nissan owns 3.1% of Daimler, and Daimler owns 3.1% of Renault and 3.1% of Nissan

SameSame
SameSame

ReoPTy
ReoPTy

Significant progress. Taffin said in the winter they plan to equal power with merc before the end of the year !

2 years late

ME4ME

"It's a bit of everything," says Jolyon Palmer of the current car's weaknesses. "We're not very strong in a straight line, aero, mechanical, we're not good over bumps; there's not any area where we're great.

"We knew the Mercedes engine last year was carrying us a hell of a long way. We qualified fifth and sixth as Lotus in Montreal, then went to Silverstone and Hungary and didn't make Q3.

"We knew the engine was a big benefit and we can see that now with Manor - they outqualified us in Baku and nearly Montreal, because it's still a good step.

"There's a bigger difference between the engines in this era than the V8 era, and especially last year.

"Mercedes were clearly dominant, and we had the right engine [in 2015]. This year we're with Renault, which has got a lot of positives, but the engine is a step backwards.

"If we had a Mercedes engine probably we'd be looking a lot stronger."
http://www.autosport.com/premium/featur ... g-so-badly

Ouch.. sounds like he wished he was driving last year

Blackout

BS. The RS16 which is a Lotus E23 that has been hastily modified in December last year to accommodante the completely different and more cumbersome Renault PU, dont even have a streamlined internal bodywork. And that partly explain the draggyness of the car. Bob Bell alluded to that many times. And the cooling system and internal packaging (and weight distribution?) are far from optimal, like Chester said. So the car is clearly very draggy. (and it certainly generates more DF/drag than its twin sister because it received some aero updates since 2015)
And the RS16 is generally faster than the E23. (except China where Mag couldnt do EL1,2,3 and setup his car properly for the 'new' Pirelli... (it was 3s faster in Barcelona)
So to say the new Renault is that weaker than the 2015 early Merc is complete nonsense.
Yes with a Merc PU it might perform better but mainly because the RS16-E23 was built around a Merc PU...

We'll see when Renault joins the Merc and Ferrari club and uses a prechamber (2016 Suzuka/Sepang?) and builds its first PU that has been designed around a particular car, a factory team car, in 2017...

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

I'm a bit disappointed Torro Rosso's Q was such a mess. I wanted to see the STR real speed, because Saintz was al over the Redbull's in FP and that makes me wonder how good the Renault '16 is compared to the old Ferrari 15'

Blackout

STR?
Ok, where was STR in the other 'engine' tracks like Canada and Bakou?
Quite far.

Pierce89

Blackout wrote:BS. The RS16 which is a Lotus E23 that has been hastily modified in December last year to accommodante the completely different and more cumbersome Renault PU, dont even have a streamlined internal bodywork. And that partly explain the draggyness of the car. Bob Bell alluded to that many times. And the cooling system and internal packaging (and weight distribution?) are far from optimal, like Chester said. So the car is clearly very draggy. (and it certainly generates more DF/drag than its twin sister because it received some aero updates since 2015)
And the RS16 is generally faster than the E23. (except China where Mag couldnt do EL1,2,3 and setup his car properly for the 'new' Pirelli... (it was 3s faster in Barcelona)
So to say the new Renault is that weaker than the 2015 early Merc is complete nonsense.
Yes with a Merc PU it might perform better but mainly because the RS16-E23 was built around a Merc PU...

We'll see when Renault joins the Merc and Ferrari club and uses a prechamber (2016 Suzuka/Sepang?) and builds its first PU that has been designed around a particular car, a factory team car, in 2017...
Where do you get the info that the Renault doesn't have all the internal bodywork and ducting. I can't realistically believe that for any modern f1 car, regardless of a hasty redesign.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

fenix4life
fenix4life

So it seems that Renault discovered a weakness in the B spec engine.
They were only able to correct it for Ricarde and Magnussen.
They fear that Verstappen and Paler will not go to the end

http://www.eurosport.fr/formule-1/grand ... tory.shtml

gandharva

Japan Update will be worth 2-3 tenth (~20 bhp) according to Dietrich Mateschitz.

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 70410.html