Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: Honda Power Unit

Comparing to Monaco is a waste of time, they never got on top of the tyres in setup and that car at the front was struggling with them at times too.

crf1
crf1

Sasha wrote:
Maybe if it pass it's mileage test on the rig.Honda will have CVCC again!
Last edited by crf1 on 06 Aug 2016, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.

OviJohn
OviJohn

Didnt know about this CVCC subject. Interesting stuff is Honda somehow manages to bring it back in todays F1 PU regs.

http://vtec.academy/cvcc-in-f1/

GoranF1
GoranF1

OviJohn wrote:Didnt know about this CVCC subject. Interesting stuff is Honda somehow manages to bring it back in todays F1 PU regs.

I think they will just use CVCC patent to use JTI tech.....as they are not allowed to use JTI directly.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Craigy

GoranF1 wrote:..as they are not allowed to use JTI directly.
Patents are not a ban on using a technology. They simply mean that in many cases, the patent needs to be licensed.
There are rules about pricing of licenses to stop them being set so high that there is a disincentive to using a particular concept. Generally they are set to be "reasonable".

source: I have a patent.

willmesquita

Someone have the complete speed trap of session 1?
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

godlameroso

GoranF1 wrote:
OviJohn wrote:Didnt know about this CVCC subject. Interesting stuff is Honda somehow manages to bring it back in todays F1 PU regs.

I think they will just use CVCC patent to use JTI tech.....as they are not allowed to use JTI directly.
There's more than one way to skin that cat. Having an injector with a pre chamber is not new. Plus there's no patent on the outcome, only on the design of their specific device.
Saishū kōnā

diffuser

PhillipM wrote:Comparing to Monaco is a waste of time, they never got on top of the tyres in setup and that car at the front was struggling with them at times too.
Don't forget there have been:
- Two PU updates since Monaco and there could be a 3ird by Monza.
- Several front wing iterations
- Several New Front brake ducts iterations.
- Several New Front brakes iterations.
- Couple of new floor.
- New Diffuser.
- New rear wings (they could be running that radical rear wing).
- New PU cover.

This is the last time I do this cause I've done it before ..here are pictures from Baku. If you look at the bottom half of the rear wing only McLaren, STR and RBR aren't running any bottom rear wing (the lower part is angled such that the front part is almost level to the rear and therefore doesn't capture any air).

Of the 3, RBR are running the least amount. The remaining 2 are running undistinguishable differences.

Sasha
Sasha

Honda's new CVCC will come with a new very trick adj. multi-stage fuel injector with fuel heater.(Honda policy was alway not to use somebody else patent..... look at their's and make it better)

But to work right will also need a trick piston crown.

godlameroso

Fuel heater eh?

I mentioned this in the general engine thread:

Are fuel catalysts allowed prior to fuel injection?

https://www.google.com/patents/US7743754

https://www.google.com/patents/US4968396

They wanted to create a system to use a heated catalyst element to pre-condition the fuel then use temperature and pressure to take the fuel to a supercritical state and finally inject it in the traditional sense. They had some success with a one cylinder prototype, and demonstrated that the concept worked. All the people involved were very established in their fields and from one day to the other the company closes.

I also mentioned this in this thread but it was an edited comment:
Curious that it's an ERS upgrade, maybe a new battery pack? I know there's a new generation of Li-ion batteries coming to market very soon. It's 2 tokens to change the cells, 2 tokens for the battery management systems, and another token for the wiring loom, so that upgrade can be anywhere from 2 to 4 or 5 tokens. I'm guessing the BMS also includes the inverters? That leaves 5-8 tokens for the engine. It's 3 tokens for a combustion upgrade and that's a given, I'm willing to bet they spend another 2 on the fuel system, that's 5, leaving 3 I'm guessing for miscellaneous things(probably the most challenging decision of all for them).

I think I know what they're doing. :mrgreen:
Saishū kōnā

hurril
hurril

Sasha wrote:Honda's new CVCC will come with a new very trick adj. multi-stage fuel injector with fuel heater.(Honda policy was alway not to use somebody else patent..... look at their's and make it better)

What is the source for this?

Pierce89

Monza always has tighter than average laptimes. Weak prediction. Austria is also a short lap which leads to tighter lap times. You only see what you want to see.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

mrluke wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:
mrluke wrote:
They aren't though.

Mclaren ran their max downforce setup in Canada.

Mclaren are not running less rear wing than any of the other mid grid teams, in fact they are running more than some, check the pictures of Baku for evidence.

The only reason they finished 5th in Monaco is because everybody else fell off of the road. Ill remind you that on the track that is the least dependent on power and places the most emphasis on chassis, Mclaren were 2 seconds behind RBR in qualy.

Here's a prediction for you, Mclaren's qualy laptime at Monza will be closer to RBR than it was at Monaco. Im going to add that to my signature and you can call me out on it later in the year.
Breaking news! laptimes at Monza will.be tighter than other tracks, same as always. Bold prediction. Also,Austria is a very short lap leading to....tighter laptimes.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

maguetox
maguetox

hurril wrote:
Sasha wrote:Honda's new CVCC will come with a new very trick adj. multi-stage fuel injector with fuel heater.(Honda policy was alway not to use somebody else patent..... look at their's and make it better)

What is the source for this?
Sasha is known for having some info from insiders.

mrluke
mrluke

Pierce89 wrote:
mrluke wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:
Breaking news! laptimes at Monza will.be tighter than other tracks, same as always. Bold prediction. Also,Austria is a very short lap leading to....tighter laptimes.
This is daft, your claims bear no relation to reality.

At Monza 2015 gap from Pole to 10th was 2.817s

At Monaco 2016 gap from Pole to 10th was 1.741s

Im not going to drag this thread off topic any further.