Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: Honda Power Unit

Andrew Benson just told me 0.1-0.2 from upgrade....6-12hp

I hope he is wrong because 7 tokens for that is a joke...
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

tom101
tom101

GoranF1 wrote:Andrew Benson just told me 0.1-0.2 from upgrade....6-12hp

if they are using now TJI, sould be higher

Joseki
Joseki

I think Honda is downplaying his cards in case something doesn't work, they improved 7 hp with just fuel in Canada, I can't believe they changed compressor, turbine and ICE plus a new fuel just to gain the same amount. Also Hasegawa said a buch of time they don't want to spend tokens for minor gains.

Also I've been told from the F1AT guys that the man at Woking are expecting/are being told is a 3-4 tenths improvement.

PlatinumZealot

That's right. They will be conservative first time out with the new parts.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

chassis/aero will need to be adapted, might take weekend or until Monza for true pace.

godlameroso

I touched on this earlier, but I like being a broken record sometimes. You will never know how your update will ultimately perform until it's actually out on track, you could have perfect reliability and get good numbers on the dyno, only to experience high rpm misfires, excessive knock, weird boost curves. And that's the basic stuff, we haven't even touched upon the software side, the mapping may take time to optimize as it will likely affect drivability. This is uncharted territory so the engineers will have to respond quickly to any anomalies. I think Honda themselves underestimate how much they can improve, I don't think they'll be winning immediately but they will certainly be closer to the lead group, enough to not get lapped any more at the absolute least.

The more or less ideal conditions this weekend also present the perfect opportunity to get some good testing and iron out those issues.
Saishū kōnā

Craigy

The problem with this is that output isn't reducible to a single number.

It might be exactly the same peak power, but using less fuel, which means they are able to run the whole race without fuel saving and consequently would be much much quicker over the distance.

It could be only 7bhp more, but for 100% of the time instead of an old spec where they had peak power 50% of the time.

We need better information.

PlatinumZealot

Let's wait and see. Only people currently working at Honda can release information on Honda.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Chicane
Chicane

Craigy wrote:The problem with this is that output isn't reducible to a single number.

It might be exactly the same peak power, but using less fuel, which means they are able to run the whole race without fuel saving and consequently would be much much quicker over the distance.

It could be only 7bhp more, but for 100% of the time instead of an old spec where they had peak power 50% of the time.

We need better information.
When max output is at 100kg/hour of fuel flow limit, it would certainly mean any efficiency gains equates to increase in overall power.
Quickshifter

Andres125sx

Joseki wrote:

I think Honda is downplaying his cards in case something doesn't work, they improved 7 hp with just fuel in Canada, I can't believe they changed compressor, turbine and ICE plus a new fuel just to gain the same amount. Also Hasegawa said a buch of time they don't want to spend tokens for minor gains.

Also I've been told from the F1AT guys that the man at Woking are expecting/are being told is a 3-4 tenths improvement.
Maybe 1-2 tenths improvement for Spa, and 3-4 once everything is perfectly dialed, adjusted and mapped for the new upgrade?

Thunder

The Exhaust Tone is definitely different. Don't know how to describe it good but it sounds "warmer" than before, a distinctive Tone.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Logie
Logie

ALO with a water leak ruined his running and BUT down the bottom of the time sheets, I did not follow FP1 but im guessing they wanted to take it slow and steady and get data on just running after ALO couldn't.

godlameroso

Button was having high speed vibrations. Possibly misfires, or the turbo is doing weird things on the top end. Button's car isn't running optimized timing that's for sure. Teething troubles, I'm sure they'll get on top of it.
Saishū kōnā

loner

i don't know why but as soon i heard of ALO'S engine failure i expected they will introduce more new spec engines to him in spa i just read they already did
para bellum.

godlameroso

They're fitting and old unit for FP2, I hope they get the bugs sorted by tomorrow.
Saishū kōnā