Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
gianluca.mateo
gianluca.mateo

Re: RE: Re: Honda Power Unit

godlameroso wrote:They're fitting and old unit for FP2, I hope they get the bugs sorted by tomorrow.
no apparently they are taking a new one (new spec)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

sosic2121
sosic2121

Re: Honda Power Unit

Chicane wrote:
Craigy wrote:The problem with this is that output isn't reducible to a single number.

It might be exactly the same peak power, but using less fuel, which means they are able to run the whole race without fuel saving and consequently would be much much quicker over the distance.

It could be only 7bhp more, but for 100% of the time instead of an old spec where they had peak power 50% of the time.

We need better information.
When max output is at 100kg/hour of fuel flow limit, it would certainly mean any efficiency gains equates to increase in overall power.
Exactly.
That's what's bothering me with Honda fuel saving.
What does it mean?
Maximum fuel flow is same for everyone.
Iz their engine lacking so much power, that they spend more time accelerating on straights!? (surly can't be that)
Do they start so underfueled, to be competitive at first part of the race?
Is Honda much weaker at lower revs, where fuel flow is less then 100kg/h, so they have to rev higher to be competitive?
Is Honda unable to run lean and still produce good power, so while everyone else saving fuel by running lean, they have to do it the hard way?
Is Mclaren running so much DF to have 3rd best chassis, that they have to burn so much fuel? 8) :lol:
Are they hot blowing to charge Battery via MGU-H?
Which one is it? Some other reason? Help my curiosity :D

j2004p
j2004p

gianluca.mateo wrote:
godlameroso wrote:They're fitting and old unit for FP2, I hope they get the bugs sorted by tomorrow.
no apparently they are taking a new one (new spec)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Confirmed new spec, what are the chances of another complete PU for FP3 to 'stock up'?

Craigy

j2004p wrote:Confirmed new spec, what are the chances of another complete PU for FP3 to 'stock up'?
It costs them nothing in sporting terms so it'd be odd not to.

Joseki
Joseki

Maybe they have just one spare per driver.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Alonso:

“I still don’t have a feeling for the performance of the revised PU, as today we ran it only in conservative modes, so tomorrow we’ll see how much we can push. I’m sure it’ll be a step forward.”

Button:

Our long run was reasonable; we seem relatively competitive, certainly compared to the cars against which we usually race. And we were quicker than Kimi [Raikkonen] on the longer runs, which was good to see.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

mclaren111

ESPN:
SPA-FRANCORCHAMPS, Belgium -- Honda has confirmed the water leak on Fernando Alonso's McLaren during Friday practice at the Belgian Grand Prix was not related to its new engine updates introduced this weekend.

Ahead of the trip to Spa-Francorchamps, Honda spent seven performance tokens on improving the efficiency of the engine's combustion chamber and turbocharger, which should result in a boost in power for the rest of the season. The updates were fitted to both cars ahead of first practice on Friday, but within three laps of running Alonso's session was over due to a water leak.

A new power unit was fitted for second practice, incurring a 35-place grid penalty for Alonso's car, while an investigation on the original power unit found that the leak was caused by the power unit's MGU-H.
Good news :D =D> :D

namao
namao

GoranF1 wrote:Alonso:

“I still don’t have a feeling for the performance of the revised PU, as today we ran it only in conservative modes, so tomorrow we’ll see how much we can push. I’m sure it’ll be a step forward.”

Button:

Our long run was reasonable; we seem relatively competitive, certainly compared to the cars against which we usually race. And we were quicker than Kimi [Raikkonen] on the longer runs, which was good to see.
Conservative modes = Honda PU . They will fight against Toro Rosso, with 2015 Ferrari PU. 10th or 11th, maybe. Nothing new.

hemichromis
hemichromis

Channel 4s Ben Edwards just said that Honda are hoping to copy Mercedes layout next year! Anyone able to confirm?

loner

3 new specs PU for ALO in SPA i expect the same for JB in MONZA
with better setup for both drivers
para bellum.

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Sonador
Sonador

Mclarettino
Mclarettino

Ted Kravitz this weekend again confirmed that Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull are using an AVL Full Chassis, Power Unit "in situ" rolling Dyno, but did not mention Mclaren/Honda. These Full Chassis Dynos give incredibly accurate simulation data of running on all the circuits on the calendar, of the Power Unit's heat rejection levels at different ratios of MGU-H and MGU-K, and all of this with no run time restrictions of Resource Restriction Agreement at all. Dynos and Full Chassis Dynos are a huge grey area not covered by RRA. It was Mercedes running a Full Chassis Dyno for several years before 2014 that allowed them to get such accurate heat rejection data for different layouts of the chassis and power unit and therefore choose the best option. Whereas Arai stuck with conventional engine only dynos, and it seems that remains the situation? Or are Mclaren and Honda shrewdly keeping very quiet about having a Full Chassis Power Unit "in situ" dyno in Sakura or maybe more in Honda Milton Keynes and MTC. Honda could manufacture a Full Chassis Power Unit "in situ" dyno themselves right? They are the biggest Internal Combustion manufacturer in the world. Or are AVL the only company that is able to make them?

loner

if Honda spend the remaining 3 tokens for ALO later is that mean another penalty for him ?
is it possible they spent the 10 tokens for ALO already and prefer to take all penalties in SPA !!
para bellum.

Pierce89

sosic2121 wrote:
Chicane wrote:
Craigy wrote:The problem with this is that output isn't reducible to a single number.

It might be exactly the same peak power, but using less fuel, which means they are able to run the whole race without fuel saving and consequently would be much much quicker over the distance.

It could be only 7bhp more, but for 100% of the time instead of an old spec where they had peak power 50% of the time.

We need better information.
When max output is at 100kg/hour of fuel flow limit, it would certainly mean any efficiency gains equates to increase in overall power.
Exactly.
That's what's bothering me with Honda fuel saving.
What does it mean?
Maximum fuel flow is same for everyone.
Iz their engine lacking so much power, that they spend more time accelerating on straights!? (surly can't be that)
Do they start so underfueled, to be competitive at first part of the race?
Is Honda much weaker at lower revs, where fuel flow is less then 100kg/h, so they have to rev higher to be competitive?
Is Honda unable to run lean and still produce good power, so while everyone else saving fuel by running lean, they have to do it the hard way?
Is Mclaren running so much DF to have 3rd best chassis, that they have to burn so much fuel? 8) :lol:
Are they hot blowing to charge Battery via MGU-H?
Which one is it? Some other reason? Help my curiosity :D
They simply spend a longer time on the straights at full throttle and lack the overall power to be able to lean it out as much as others.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher