2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vasconia

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

Andres125sx wrote:
Dipesh1995 wrote:This is the problem with McLaren: Ignorance.
Poor McLaren, they should sign you in :lol:

Mad wrote:Mclaren hasn't produced a great championship winning chassis since 2009, even in 2008 Ferrari was a better car.
Funny how they started making "great" chassis once Honda came onboard with a weak PU.
You probably are missing the day Honda came onboard is also the day Peter Prodromou came onboard to design McLaren chassis :wink:
Plus the 2012 car was a pretty fast one.

Podromou is expected to design a great chasis in 2017. If he fails to do that it will a a tough year for the team...and for him.

Macklaren
Macklaren

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-in ... ren-2016-9

Apple to buy Mclaren??....what??? Please please let this not be true

Andres125sx

Paul wrote:STR will return to Renaults.
Thanks, didn´t know, but it´s a logic decision, with the fast developing rate of this PUs using an old unit with no development is a suicide

Anycase next season McHonda should be far away from STR, even with Renault PUs

dodds_turbo

More rumours of Apple interest in Formula One, this time from the point of view of Apple followers:
http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/21/app ... ion-talks/

This probably re-fuels the other rumours of Apple's efforts to manufacture the 'Apple Car'. Talks with Volkswagen and BMW failed to reach anything probably due to Apple's strict rules of controlling everything and everyone and everything.

godlameroso

Title sponsor? iMclaren hah! I don't think they'd buy them, title sponsor/technical partner maybe sounds more likely.
Saishū kōnā

Alonso Fan

Apple? Interested in f1? And McLaren??

No, please, no.

Just.

No.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

godlameroso

I don't mind McLaren taking Apple's money for a technical partnership. Just please don't involve Apple's business ethos into F1. Next thing you know the F1 car can only use Apple wheels, but can use regular magnesium F1 wheels with a special adapter.
Saishū kōnā

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

To be honest, it seems like a rather odd potential arrangement for both parties. I'm interested in the direction of the approach. Did McLaren approach Apple or Apple McLaren? Given their relative size, etc... I imagine this being Apple approaching McLaren.

Typically, when a larger company approaches a much smaller one with serious intent, the only question left is price. Given their relative size, price seems largely irrelevant.

Time to speculate.

Why might Apple be interested:
  • They have a car project of sorts - for what purpose, not directly expressed at this stage.
  • They have been hiring people from automotive companies in advance of making their intentions public.
  • They view McLaren as:
    1. possibly undervalued;
    1. possessing a strong and recognisable brand and heritage;
    1. full of highly skilled individuals;
    1. possessed of advanced manufacturing methodology, rapid prototyping, and craftsmen;
    1. knowledgeable of hybrid technology, vehicle dynamics, on-board electronics, telemetry, etc...
    1. having relatively nominal differences in language, design and business culture
  • The entry of Liberty Media means ownership of McLaren - should they purchase the F1 team as well - will involve less financial risk if a franchise system is adopted, where team owners hold an equity and profit stake in the business. If the business does well, all stakeholders will as well.
  • A large component of Apple's success centres on the success of their marketing.
  • By entering F1, they'll gain access to one of the most lucrative and well connected marketing platforms on earth.
  • Red Bull have leveraged a media empire on the back of their F1 investments.
  • Apple has a large and growing appetite as a platform and distributor of media.
  • iTunes, Apple TV, Apple Music, etc...
  • As some of you may know, Apple has a huge cash pile.
  • What you may not know is most of this cash is located outside of the US.
  • Were Apple to repatriate it, they'd lose 40% of it.
  • Purchasing McLaren would make good use of some of that money.
  • In terms of numbers, McLaren Technology Group would probably be valued at $2-$3 billion, if they're lucky.
  • Apple has well in excess of $100 billion domiciled in overseas territories.
  • Apple could afford to write McLaren off completely and it wouldn't even dent the bottom line of a single Annual Report, let alone their cumulative position.
Why would McLaren be interested?
  • Money.
  • Scope for expansion.
  • Security.
  • A huge payoff for Ron, Mansour and Mumtalakat Holdings.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

And it would be called the i-Mobile; although this would be dangerously close to immobile, so perhaps not!

Alonso Fan

And if they're on as a title sponsor, expect a black and grey McLaren.

Hooray
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

gianluca.mateo wrote:
the EDGE wrote:
gianluca.mateo wrote: no it is not. The flashing light signals a reduction in power output without driver intervention.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
That's what he said
no that's what he quoted. What he said is that the light flashes during lift and coast. The red light does not flash because of lift and coast, but because of a reduction of deployment due to engine maps.

Well, first of all to be correct I forgot the source: http://www.fia.com/news/f1-race-directo ... l-briefing
Second: what I said is 'The flashing light is a sign of lift and coast', and it's one of the only easily observable sign for us as viewers. Red light means lift and coast for sure. Lift and coast does not mean red light as the quote clarifies.

gianluca.mateo
gianluca.mateo

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

Jef Patat wrote:
gianluca.mateo wrote:
the EDGE wrote:
That's what he said
no that's what he quoted. What he said is that the light flashes during lift and coast. The red light does not flash because of lift and coast, but because of a reduction of deployment due to engine maps.

Well, first of all to be correct I forgot the source: http://www.fia.com/news/f1-race-directo ... l-briefing
Second: what I said is 'The flashing light is a sign of lift and coast', and it's one of the only easily observable sign for us as viewers. Red light means lift and coast for sure. Lift and coast does not mean red light as the quote clarifies.
You are still wrong.

From FIA regulations:
"The warning light is there for situations not controlled by the driver."
The warning light does NOT flash during lift and coast. It does flash if and only if the engine output is reduced significantly while the driver is at full throttle.

nevill3

nevill3 wrote:
Jef Patat wrote:How I just love that 'they will blame Honda again' nonsense #-o

Not a single word about Honda/engine, only grip and tires:

Alonso: Lack of grip restricting McLaren
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3444 ... g-mclaren/
http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/2016/si ... -practice/

Obviously the unexpected power increase from the Honda engine is causing the tyres to spin up, see it is Honda's fault #-o
Received a negative downvote for ranting when I was trying to be humorous, I guess it is hard to interpret the thought process behind someone's post, but a humorous smilie at the end should have given a clue, sorry if I offended anyone :oops:
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

trinidefender
trinidefender

nevill3 wrote:
nevill3 wrote:
Jef Patat wrote:How I just love that 'they will blame Honda again' nonsense #-o

Not a single word about Honda/engine, only grip and tires:

Alonso: Lack of grip restricting McLaren
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3444 ... g-mclaren/
http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/2016/si ... -practice/

Obviously the unexpected power increase from the Honda engine is causing the tyres to spin up, see it is Honda's fault #-o
Received a negative downvote for ranting when I was trying to be humorous, I guess it is hard to interpret the thought process behind someone's post, but a humorous smilie at the end should have given a clue, sorry if I offended anyone :oops:
If somebody got offended so much to give you a down vote for that then this forum, or at least some members, have totally lost their sense of humour....how sad.

Vasconia

Andres125sx wrote:
Paul wrote:STR will return to Renaults.
Thanks, didn´t know, but it´s a logic decision, with the fast developing rate of this PUs using an old unit with no development is a suicide

Anycase next season McHonda should be far away from STR, even with Renault PUs
They should but I have my doubts. Anyway both team should be stronger next year.

About Apple and McLaren. Well, I dont think they will buy McLaren(I hope not) but an important sponsorhip would be welcome and it could be a boost for the team.