[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Do not worry about the signs on the monitoring surfaces. They depend on the orientation of the stl file you used.

RicME85

Excellent. That clears up so much :D

LVDH

If it is now clear for you that is great. But these comments and questions are all good. I will make sure to improve the software so it is more clear.

CAEdevice

Hi LDVH, I have question about the mesh setting. I could wait tomorrow and see the the dict files but I was wondering if to define a high res surface on a specific region of the floor/diffuser would change anything or the settings for the underfloor already consider it as high res region.

Edit: I read the rulebook :lol: and it seems that to add a high res surfaces is allowed only for wings

variante

So, I'm trying to use WFlow.
So far I've run the test case, and I've got this:
ImageI guess the run was successful.

Now, I've got no idea how to go on and run an actual case with my car...

The "ReadMe" says that I need to "open the command window and go to the location of MantiumWFlow_MVRCed". Which command window?

Also, is there a particular location where I should place the WFlow files (such as the "shared directory" of the virtual machine)? or even the Desktop is good enough?

Sorry for these questions, but I'm a total noob with this stuff. I whish there was a step by step guide...

CAEdevice

Hi Variante, there should be a "readme.txt" file in the WFlow package with the instruction to create a folder structure with all the STLs required by WFlow to generate the OF case.

You can find an example above (I was aswering a question by Ric) with a link to an "input_file" folder structure with the STLs of my "opensource car". I am sure you will not be too interested in the geometry ;)

variante

Yeah, I've got that folder structure. What shall I do with it? In other words, how do I tell WFlow to generate the OF case with those geometries?

LVDH

OK, apparently I have to make the instructions clearer, but this will not happen the next days.
The last time I used a Windows 7 computer I hit Alt+F1 and then typed "cmd" that opened the command window. Maybe you could also navigate in the Explorer to your MantiumWFlow folder and a right click menu or something has an option like "open command window here"?

But there is a big surprise coming from HP-Racing soon that will make the work with MantiumWFlow much easier.

CAEdevice

variante wrote:Yeah, I've got that folder structure. What shall I do with it? In other words, how do I tell WFlow to generate the OF case with those geometries?
I use a ".bat" file, but you can run it from the Windows shell with the right paths (I don't have the MVRC data with me, but I think that all is written in the txt)

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:But there is a big surprise coming from HP-Racing soon that will make the work with MantiumWFlow much easier.
I hope this will be the only big surprise from HP Racing. I looked at their car recently and I think that it will be a stronger opponent next race.

variante

PS C:\Users\SANTECH> C:\Users\SANTECH\Desktop\MVRC_2016\WFLOW\WFlow\MantiumWFlow_MVRCed_win.exe
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 42, in <module>
IndexError: list index out of range
MantiumWFlow_obfs returned -1
PS C:\Users\SANTECH>

CAEdevice

Where is you "input_files" directory?

variante

CAEdevice wrote:Where is you "input_files" directory?
Simply on the desktop. Why? Shouldn't I specify its location after opening the program?

CAEdevice

I am relying on my memory, but:

- Assuming that "input_files" is in C:\Users\Matteo
- Assuming that WFlow executable is in C:\Users\Matteo\WFlow

I would use (more or less) this commands:

Code: Select all

cd C:\Users\Matteo\WFlow
MantiumWFlow_MVRCed_win.exe C:\Users\Matteo
(WFlow needs to know where the geometry is)
Last edited by CAEdevice on 26 Sep 2016, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.

RicME85

Needs to be in a directory that you dont need permissions for, Windows can be funny with the desktop folder.
I followed the PDF for getting the test case running so I have a folder in my C drive called CFD - c:\CFD\Ricme
Within that I then put a folder with the name of the car (as suggested in the Readme something that relates to the version) - Ricme - Car - 01
In there I have the input_files folder with the relevant folders and files within.
I have another folder called MVRC which has the MFlow files in.
To get a command window I open the directory so I can see the files 'MantiumWFlow_MVRCed_win' etc then if you hold SHIFT and RIGHT CLICK in the window it will give you the option to 'Open command window here' which will open a CMD window in that directory.
From there its easy enough to copy and paste the various commands.

MantiumWFlow_MVRCed_win.exe C:\CFD\ricme\RicME_Car_01 
Next its a case of running 'OpenFOAM_Start' that you got after setting up in the beginning (I put the shortcuts fr OpenFOAM in the MVRC folder for keeping things together and neat.

cd workingDir
• cd Ricme - Car - 01
• bash runCase.sh
Then once done its back to the MVRC folder to open a command window again (unless you kept the first one open)

MantiumWFlow_ppCase_simple_win.exe  C:\CFD\ricme\RicME_Car_01