[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Your case is running. Maybe you did some magic. Most likely the car body is not closed. While so far this never created crazy results this might start getting to be an example. Usually with every CFD software you get super strange results when you use non-closed geometries so only having a third of what would be expected is strange. I will let you know as soon as I have something to report.

etsmc
etsmc

thanks for the email regarding the issue with my case.
Due to a lack of processing power and ram i always run my cases using the mvrc_fast option and there has been no issues running the case apart from this one with the strange results, the last case i ran with the files i supplied you with was with the default setting and also found it crashed...
I did find that the face behind the exhaust outlet had gone missing in the redesign. Fixed up a couple of other areas also.

I have been reading some papers on testing done on ducting to heat exchangers and from what i have read my new design should be better, so i am kind of wishing that the results i am getting are in fact wrong as my flow through the heat exchanger has dropped.

LVDH

Your design sure looks much nicer now.
You are right, with some luck with the fast option you might not run into trouble with open geometries as what is open is relative to the cell sizes. I also noticed the issue with your exhaust outlet. Fixing that might fix the strange reported pressure. You are right to question these kind of results as they indicate a problem. If you suddenly see you have a massflow of 200kg/s through your radiators it is not time to reduce their duct size but to look into the simulation.

CAEdevice

Hi, the development of my car hit a dead end so I started wondering: which are the plans for 2017? There will be a MVRC based on the present rulebook? I hope so!

etsmc
etsmc

I think the current rule book is ok. I think we could see some different designs if we could somehow be able to rotate the heat exchanges. I did have another thought on the heat exchanges and if we were able to rotate them it would nice to be able to have a heat exchanger that is maybe twice the surface area but half the thickness or the opposite.

Another way we could go could be an open cockpit LMP car, a different option would be to think about the future and have electric motors that could be placed at the front or rear of the car not sure how this would be worked out with the virtual stopwatch.

LVDH

I have some plans. I am not sure if I floated the idea on this forum around of even a second championship. Right now I do not see that happening, but there will be a new MVRC next year, that is for sure. And there will be modifications to the rule book. But right now I am so busy with all kinds of things that I will wait to announce the first ideas on a new thread for a while. But if you guys have ideas take a note so you can share them as soon as the time comes.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:I have some plans. I am not sure if I floated the idea on this forum around of even a second championship. Right now I do not see that happening, but there will be a new MVRC next year, that is for sure. And there will be modifications to the rule book. But right now I am so busy with all kinds of things that I will wait to announce the first ideas on a new thread for a while. But if you guys have ideas take a note so you can share them as soon as the time comes.
Yes, it is not yet time to discusse the new rules or the improvements to the present rulebook.

I just wanted to know if there will be a 2017 edition to plan the development of the car. I am not interested to take part to other challenges, maybe I could think about organising a single event race dedicated to single seaters, but it depends on the free time I will have in the next months and on the MVRC2017 calendar (when will it start? how many races?).

CAEdevice

Hi, I completed my convergence tests, I have 1 week to try to improve my df/dr ratio (now around 4, so it would be difficult to keep P1 in the final chart).

I have a good idea about the position of the heat exchangers, but I would need to know wich is the minimum diameter of the pipes that connect the heat exchanger to the engine. 50mm could be enough?
Last edited by CAEdevice on 04 Dec 2016, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote: I have a good idea about the position of the heat exchangers, but I would need to know wich is the minimum diameter of the pipes that connect the heat exchanger to the engine. 50mm could be enough?
Sounds good, keep in mind you need two.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
CAEdevice wrote: I have a good idea about the position of the heat exchangers, but I would need to know wich is the minimum diameter of the pipes that connect the heat exchanger to the engine. 50mm could be enough?
Sounds good, keep in mind you need two.
A rectangular shape 50x100 (including 2x phi50) should be ok for both in and out.

CAEdevice

PS: my car converges in 1000 iterations now

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:PS: my car converges in 1000 iterations now
Nice, and that leads to victory?

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
CAEdevice wrote:PS: my car converges in 1000 iterations now
Nice, and that leads to victory?
On the contrary, it leads to df/dr = 4... My fault: I spent many weeks working on a car that had df/dr = 5.3 @1500 iterations, without looking at the convergence plots (only residuals). When computed with 2500 iterations the performances were much worse.

Now I have a good base (you can run 5000 iterations and the results will be the same), but only a week to improve it.

Anyway, I won two races and I am quite happy... if JJR will be on P1 at Le Mans his final victory will be well deserved. I have great expectations in 2017 :)

rjsa
rjsa

I have my computer back online and got OF running for 2 hours and then fail.

It's my first experience with CFD and I'm totally lost.

I did post a couple of log pieces in the challenge's forum.

Alonso Fan

I just got an email saying the next race is on Saturday. Didn't we agree a delay?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa