McLaren MCL32 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Thunder

Re: McLaren MP4-32 Speculation Thread

FrukostScones wrote:they are scared of Newey.
reports Owen at autosport forums...
go to MP4-32 thread.. nice story from some fan event.
Everybody is "scared" of what Red Bull and their Aero Team can develop, not just the Guys in Woking.
Last edited by Thunder on 21 Jan 2017, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

the EDGE
the EDGE

Thunders wrote:Everybody is "scared" of what Red Bull and their Aero Team can develop.
Hear Hear!

But lets not forget Peter Prod was a key member of that team with a clear insight into their idea's, their philosophies, their methods, their processes, their practises, their technologies & their equipment. He worked alongside Newey for a very long time at McLaren & RedBull. If any one can match them, he can. But not even Newey himself could build a department capable of designing a car to do that in season or 2, all of the fore-mention takes time to put in place and that is what Peter Prods job has been to do, he cant design the whole car himself!

We will just have to wait to see if all of his hard work starts to pay off this season or not. What I feel most anxious about is their suspension set-up at the moment, I believe this, and the stability it creates for delivering aero advantages could be McLarens Achilles heal.

Did i hear talk recently that McLaren had hired a suspension expert from Mercedes or did he not join in the end?

SR71

the EDGE wrote:
Thunders wrote:Everybody is "scared" of what Red Bull and their Aero Team can develop.
Hear Hear!

But lets not forget Peter Prod was a key member of that team with a clear insight into their idea's, their philosophies, their methods, their processes, their practises, their technologies & their equipment. He worked alongside Newey for a very long time at McLaren & RedBull. If any one can match them, he can. But not even Newey himself could build a department capable of designing a car to do that in season or 2, all of the fore-mention takes time to put in place and that is what Peter Prods job has been to do, he cant design the whole car himself!

We will just have to wait to see if all of his hard work starts to pay off this season or not. What I feel most anxious about is their suspension set-up at the moment, I believe this, and the stability it creates for delivering aero advantages could be McLarens Achilles heal.

Did i hear talk recently that McLaren had hired a suspension expert from Mercedes or did he not join in the end?
Working alongside genius doesn't make one a genius. I use the word genius here in the literal sense. And that's based off the description given to Newey by his own peers, including PP.

Thunder

the EDGE wrote: Did i hear talk recently that McLaren had hired a suspension expert from Mercedes or did he not join in the end?
No, he ended up staying at Mercedes.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

mclaren111

Thunders wrote:
the EDGE wrote: Did i hear talk recently that McLaren had hired a suspension expert from Mercedes or did he not join in the end?
Surely that means they are working on their own version of this "active" suspension :D

RedNEO

mclaren111 wrote:
Thunders wrote:
Surely that means they are working on their own version of this "active" suspension :D
I would hope so :)

Andres125sx

FrukostScones wrote:they are scared of Newey.
Wise people!

godlameroso

Why? He seems like a decent enough guy.

This is a team sport, you can have strong players, but they can't win championships alone. You can have LeBron James on your team and it helps, but if the rest of the team is a bunch of scrubs you won't get very far.

You can have Alonso as your driver, but if the car is :arrow: it's not going to go anywhere.

If Brawn is anything to go by, to win requires everyone to be on the same page, the second there's hesitation, the second people doubt or second guess their actions, it cascades into a massive setback. Every time you have to re-adjust you lose half a second, that is the average human reaction time, multiplied by a team of people with regular frequency, and you go nowhere, much like a traffic jam.
Saishū kōnā

Andres125sx

So now a genius does not change anything on a top level motorsport where all teams have the best equipment and people money can buy? #-o

Using your analogy, maybe Lebron can ´t win anything by his own, but when there are two teams both with top players, Lebron on any of those will make a huge difference. Same as Newey.
Mario Andretti, 1987 wrote:Newey's a fantastic guy. His knowledge of car preparation is uncanny. He's a total engineer, not simply a guy who can draw lines. He's great out in the field because he totally understands setup; and he understands both oval and road courses. I'm amazed at his knowledge, especially when you look at his (relative lack of) experience.
That was on his very first seassons in F1, 30 years ago

Or a more recent reference...
Fernando Alonso when in Ferrari wrote:We don´t fight Vettel, we do fight Newey
The simple fact some F1 drivers have publicly mentioned Newey speaks volumes about his talent. Obviously F1 is a team sport, but all F1 teams use the best they can buy/find. Brilliance can´t be bought tough, so a genius can make a difference not even the richests in planet can nullify

Anycase I´m not saying Newey is synonim of winning, he´s also designed some dog cars, but any wise person would be concerned about what a genius can do on a big rule change

Facts Only
Facts Only

F1 drivers (and all other racing drivers) will always find someone to blame for not winning other than themselves. The tyres, the car, the circuit, the weather, the blah blah blah blah.

Newey may be great but he's also a convenient person to blame for any driver not in one of his cars for not winning.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

j2004p
j2004p

Andres125sx wrote:Or a more recent reference...
Fernando Alonso when in Ferrari wrote:We don´t fight Vettel, we do fight Newey
I actually prefer the following quote....
Eddie Irvine wrote:There are three geniuses being "Schumacher, Senna and Newey" and only Schumacher and Senna could win without Newey's cars.

godlameroso

Mercedes has some pretty bright chaps as well, they've been doing alright against Newey. Of course they had a Brawn to oversee preparations for 2014, and people also underestimate Wolff, that last name lets on to what lurks under the calm measured demeanor (politically speaking of course). :twisted:
Saishū kōnā

SR71

godlameroso wrote:Mercedes has some pretty bright chaps as well, they've been doing alright against Newey. Of course they had a Brawn to oversee preparations for 2014, and people also underestimate Wolff, that last name lets on to what lurks under the calm measured demeanor (politically speaking of course). :twisted:
And a nice power unit....

I don't think it's any secret throughout the paddock that a Merc powered Newey-mobile is the last thing anyone wants to see aside from Red Bull and maybe Ecclestone and Myself :-)

godlameroso

I'd like to see it, from a exists only in video games and can be seen in a museum kind of way. Not in a lap the field like LMP cars do to GT's and the only drama comes from lapped traffic kind of way.
Saishū kōnā

Andres125sx

Facts Only wrote:F1 drivers (and all other racing drivers) will always find someone to blame for not winning other than themselves. The tyres, the car, the circuit, the weather, the blah blah blah blah.

Newey may be great but he's also a convenient person to blame for any driver not in one of his cars for not winning.
I agree with your post, but I´m strugling to see the relationship with mine... if any. Are you implying Alonso didn´t win because of himself and Newey´s design was irrelevant and only a convenient excuse for him? :wtf:

I agree drivers in general always find some excuse, but considering Newey an excuse is equally absurd, at least if you´re replying to my post about RBR domination period