2017 Tyres revealed

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
turbof1

Re: 2017 Tyres revealed

Postby turbof1 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:19 pm

Big Mangalhit wrote:
Peter1919 wrote:
Big Mangalhit wrote:According to that article they weight 3kg. Hardly any effort to lift i guess

That 's 3kg extra for the rears over last year or 1.5kg on top of the weight of last year tyre

Damn I'm an idiot. If 24kg are the right weight then the back wheel tyre guys need to bulk up this winter. Maybe it also helps to have a counter weight on the back when changing the tyres.

Not bulking. To change the wheels fast you actually need to be flexible. Too much muscle mass and you will loose out. What they will need to do is more efficiency training and conditioning to the weight.

turbof1

Postby turbof1 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:16 pm

Stickied due being an important aspect coming season.

PhillipM

Postby PhillipM » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:40 pm

If they were 24kg you'd want to be bulking a bit, I have to change that weight/heavier wheel/tyre combos in a hurry between stages and you soon know about it :lol:

turbof1

Postby turbof1 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:30 pm

PhillipM wrote:If they were 24kg you'd want to be bulking a bit, I have to change that weight/heavier wheel/tyre combos in a hurry between stages and you soon know about it :lol:

True, you need a some (emphasis on some) muscle mass to get it done stable and quick, but it a misconception that you need to bulk up to increase strength.

To put it in perspective:
Chris Froome (notice the 'bulked down' legs), 3 times winner of Tour de France.

Hafþór "the mountain" Júlíus Björnsson, probably 3 times accidental cycle crusher (under his weight).

An increase of 1.5 kg, or otherwise 6,67%, in weight is not that bad. You don't even need to be anywhere near an athlete to handle 24 kg. Rather, you are going to need increased stability training to accurately put the tyre on.

The biggest issue is ironically the increased volume of the tyre. A larger object is by default harder to get in the correct position, even if mass stays the same.

PhillipM

Postby PhillipM » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:01 pm

The biggest issue with the 24kg+ tyres is the size, yes. Mind, the other issue is your balance, as you tend to tip over when you push it on the hub compared to a single seater slick where they feel like you could balance it on a finger like a basketball :lol:

WaikeCU

Postby WaikeCU » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:48 pm

I sure hope Pirelli makes these rubber stronger than before. You don't want a rear blow out with these sized rear tires. There will be more than enough body damages when it happens.
Creator / Artist of Magnified Official
Celebrating the greatest
FB: https://www.facebook.com/magnified.official
IG: https://www.instagram.com/magnified.official/

Return to “Aerodynamics, chassis and tyres”