Sauber C36 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mattchu

Re: Sauber C36 Ferrari

dren wrote: The Sauber front wing has a flat, straight leading edge, while the Williams swoops backwards at a slight angle.
Don`t wish to be pedantic but to me it looks as though both front wings angle back slightly, albeit the Williams more than the Sauber. Could this be a trend in a front nose leading edges?

Anyway i like this car and think it looks like it has potential, shame about the engine...

McMrocks
McMrocks

I didnt follow F1 very closely during last year hence i have some stupid questions:

In RB's rule proposal it was said that the tea tray is going to start further behind. In the pictures it seems that it still starts way early at 330mm behind the fwcl, right?

And is the step plane still 50mm above the reference plane?

And last thing i remember is that teams agreed that only floor width increases but the actual sidepods stay 1600(or was it 1400mm in 2016) wide. How much have i missed during my f1 break?

godlameroso

Body work has to be at least 1400mm wide, and as wide as 1600mm.

I can't believe no one talks about the rear wing main plane, it's very nicely done =D>

The wheelbase isn't as long as I thought it would be. Well 5.1 meters isn't exactly stubby, about 30cm longer than a Bentley Continental GT.
Last edited by godlameroso on 20 Feb 2017, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

geraldix
geraldix

The lowest, forwardmost part of sidepods are so squared one could mistake it for shoeboxes. Maybe they concluded that the bigger bargeboards allows them to do so without compromising aero, so they cramped all the eletronics they could in that space in order to make the sidepods fitter elsewhere?

Anyway, this is a great effort by Sauber. Looks nothing like the sh!t they had last year, which you could tell was a dog of a car just by looking at it.

zioture
zioture

tpe
tpe

Cardex94 wrote:
Thunders wrote:
Cardex94 wrote:http://abload.de/img/backw4raa.jpg
did anyone noticed the cuts in the upperbody of the diffuser?
Should be an attached Gourney Flap.
I mean here, that part where is surrounded by red, the arrow is pointing it.
Sorry for my english

https://abload.de/img/saubercutocq38.jpg
I have the same question. The floor looks bulky. Unless they have a "double floor" and the sidepods actually are rectangular and there is an opening in the bottom of the sidepods feeding the top of the defuser.

godlameroso

The sidepod intakes look like something you'd see on a jet fighter.

Saishū kōnā

McMrocks
McMrocks

Meh, before posting silly question i should check the website. There is an article with a Merc video that tells that the plank starts further behind. Sorry for the question

dobbster71

Good looking car. Well done Sauber. I hope that this C36 can prove to be the stable & competitive platform that the team needs.

Bravo!
WRC is for boys. Group B was for men!
Juha Kankkunen

Quantum

ScrewCaptain27 wrote: I'd say the split airbox is for packaging reasons (sidepods are rather small in fact).
It didn't work well on the Merc as it reduces air pressure going into the engine and consequently engine power (with a NA engine). The turbo engine should suffer much less.

I would suggest Mercedes W01 "blade" airbox benefited the car quite well, especially compared to the bulkier launch spec unit.
The split air box will also not reduce air pressure to the point of noticeable/marked engine power loss if the inlet angles and size are correct.

The Sauber version appears has a huge airbox though, and I think this would be to offset what looks like small sidepods.
Running a 2016 PU with no chance of uprgrades means they'll know the cooling requirements from last year, and know it won't change all year. It will likely also be easier/cheaper to reduce the size of the airbox from venue to venue should it be desired, than the sidepods.
"Interplay of triads"

The leading edge of the floor looks pretty bare & chunky right now - more aero widgets to come in that area?

http://abload.de/img/side2srfb.jpg

motobaleno

F1analisitecnica reports quite a short wheelbase 3233 mm
http://www.f1analisitecnica.com/2017/02 ... cnica.html

henra
henra

geraldix wrote: Anyway, this is a great effort by Sauber. Looks nothing like the sh!t they had last year, which you could tell was a dog of a car just by looking at it.
I have to agree. This looks by far the most sophisticated and well designed Sauber Car for quite a while.
Although it would have been nice had they gone for a different nose. But I'm afraid under the current rule set Thumb noses is what we will get throughout the whole field (except Merc).
The extremely boxy sidepods are striking me a bit but there will be a reason for it. The split air box looks interesting. Should work quite well in yaw or windy conditions. Apart from that the benefit of that is not really clear to me, tbh.

GoranF1
GoranF1

McMrocks wrote:I didnt follow F1 very closely during last year hence i have some stupid questions:

In RB's rule proposal it was said that the tea tray is going to start further behind. In the pictures it seems that it still starts way early at 330mm behind the fwcl, right?

And is the step plane still 50mm above the reference plane?

And last thing i remember is that teams agreed that only floor width increases but the actual sidepods stay 1600(or was it 1400mm in 2016) wide. How much have i missed during my f1 break?
RB proposal wasnt accepted...Mclaren's was.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

clipsy1H

Nothing spectacular from Sauber, same one year old car just wider with a little flat oversize wing if we compare with last year car. Obviously are new small things and changes because it has to fit with a wider car but nothing radical, nothing to shock you. This color is much better but i still hate the GOLD FW .... looks like Jaguar R4 rims color.
As i said few days ago i'm so disappointed so far, i expected a lot more from car design, until now in my opinion all cares looks almost identical with last year just wider and with bigger rubber. I mean Sauber is already a smaller and weak team...they could bring something total new and maybe hit some luck or so. I remember C31 which was an amazing aggressive evolution from C30.
I still hope for a new radical design and my bet is Honda or Ferrari or maybe Renault because they need something radical to close gap to Mercedes.