Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ziggy
ziggy

Re: Honda Power Unit

diffuser wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 14:24
PlatinumZealot wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 00:30
ziggy wrote:
22 Mar 2017, 15:47

Well, I would say they can build a winning engine(PU), no doubt on that. Their problem is inovation. The Japanese are good in making things better, not so inovating them.

Sorry for OT.
A lot of Japanese would disagree with that one! I disagree as well. That statement is too sweeping. haha. I hope you reconsider.
Think you need to be careful when making comment like "people from a country" are good or not good at something. Generalizing like that is racisim.
What? Where's that now coming from? I am very sorry, if I hurt someones feelings. Offcourse I didn't want to bash Japanese people. To make it very clear: I meant the honda people and their working - racing culture. Not the general Japanese culture or people.

Sorry again.

ollandos
ollandos

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

This seems like bouncing the ball back to MCL. No it's not our fault, the car is vibrating too much causing non engine pieces braking off and damaging the wire harness. The complete car is vibrating but the engine the most? How should we interpret this?

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

Good definitive answers there. So, the only thing not cleared up was the engine on day 2 first test. Vibrations improved via mapping and I suspect McLaren have done some work on this also to help.

Essentially as they can't test the solution(s)....it's unknown. Assume therefore that there is contingency for fixing between sessions in Melbourne and they'll let it run freely.

Joseki
Joseki

So they haven't met their internal targets. :roll:

dren

Jef Patat wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 17:32
This seems like bouncing the ball back to MCL. No it's not our fault, the car is vibrating too much causing non engine pieces braking off and damaging the wire harness. The complete car is vibrating but the engine the most? How should we interpret this?
Says vibrations in general are causing issues with the chassis. Some from the PU, some from hitting curbs. So, he says even if Honda cures the PU vibration issues, the chassis could potentially still have problems.
Honda!

ollandos
ollandos

MY SECRET HOPE is the engine is better than people think and they start from very low outside picture ...for time gain an extra good publicity publicity...my expect is for this first race for better result from last year ..if i remember correct alonso it was 1.3sec from faster car on qual. ..or somethning like this ..i think 1sec< gap its good result and top 10 on the race with better luck this year ...maybe look like miracle but i believe it

HPD

"On the last two days of the second week [of testing], trouble was caused by the vibration of the car," said Hasegawa in Melbourne on Thursday.

"It was not only a problem with the engine itself, although the thing vibrating the most was the engine.

"The trouble caused cracks in a carbon pipe on the side of the car – with the harness getting detached. However, I don't know if these problems will not occur again if the engine vibrations stop. I am worried.

"It is also certain that the cars rode over the kerbs [in Barcelona] and this caused some vibration. If we have such a weakness in the side of the car, then it is worrying."
According to muramasa, the original article Hasegawa does not say that vibration is engine problem.
And that the weakness of the chassis is worrying..
https://jp.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-%E ... 84-885035/

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

I don't know what to make of this. Now the chassis is breaking apart due to vibrations? I can imagine Honda making a vibrating engine, but I can't imagine MCL making a chassis that can't cope with the vibrations caused by the track. Do we have to conclude the chassis can't cope with the vibrations of the engine? Something must have gone lost in translation.

godlameroso

McLaren often used to use last year's chassis because they were still developing the current model year chassis, sometimes introducing it 4 or 5 races into the season. McLaren get's a pass but not Honda? Ridiculous.
Saishū kōnā

dren

Jef Patat wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 19:16
I don't know what to make of this. Now the chassis is breaking apart due to vibrations? I can imagine Honda making a vibrating engine, but I can't imagine MCL making a chassis that can't cope with the vibrations caused by the track. Do we have to conclude the chassis can't cope with the vibrations of the engine? Something must have gone lost in translation.
Honda is trying to save some PR face because Mclaren keeps dumping on them. Honda is owning up to their share, but don't want to be blamed when it isn't their fault, either.
Honda!

PlatinumZealot

Good news. Clear that the engine vibration is reduced, but he is worried about chassis vibration. So Honda is not entirely to blame.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Postmoe

Suspension/gearbox/PU integration???????????

etusch

Postmoe wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 21:19
Suspension/gearbox/PU integration???????????
Yes. Where is it? Williams can do that for merc engine, RBR, Toro Rosso, Force India can do that for for a customer engine but Mclaren cant...

harjan
harjan

godlameroso wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 19:24
McLaren often used to use last year's chassis because they were still developing the current model year chassis, sometimes introducing it 4 or 5 races into the season. McLaren get's a pass but not Honda? Ridiculous.
Could you specify which years they did this? I know of McLaren of introducing a b-spec chassis, of coming out with a dud of a car and improving it into a winner over the duration of a season. Also know them of coming with a car that was 2 sec quicker than any other car ('98).

But I can't recall McLaren ever using an older chassis.