Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
djones
djones

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

We can't talk about what is fastest or works best, as we don't know. I certainly don't know.

Anybody, even without an engineering background can talk about how all the details look though.

And this car has LOTS more than any other car. I don't think anybody can honestly sit and argue that's not the case.

Moose
Moose

djones wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 15:31
We can't talk about what is fastest or works best, as we don't know. I certainly don't know.

Anybody, even without an engineering background can talk about how all the details look though.

And this car has LOTS more than any other car. I don't think anybody can honestly sit and argue that's not the case.
It's not detail that this car has and others don't. It's dangly bits.

Just because there aren't bits sticking out of the red bull at every single point, doesn't mean that it's not incredibly detailed. It just means their philosophy is one of a cleaner design.

Lots of sticky out bits isn't (necessarily) either better, or more detailed. It could be a sign of lack of detailed thinking, and trying to brute force things instead.

turbof1

Can we please stop commenting on how good and complex the car looks?
#AeroFrodo

djones
djones

Its one argument and potentially valid.

But given the success of this team in recent years, I think their skills and approach is probably justified as the best.

I see details as refinement, so stretching out every single mm of workable space.

Just a different way of looking at it. If this was a low budget, back end team, then I'd probably agree its a brute force and throwing things at it to try and help approach.

Santozini
Santozini

djones wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 15:31

I believe you just answered my question.

Anyway, from a technical point of view, the Merc doesn't stand out as you think, when compared to the Ferrari, and even the RB. At least at this stage.

Let's see how they perform this weekend, but one thing is for sure, they will not perform as if they were "6 months ahead"

turbof1

djones wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 15:36

But given the success of this team in recent years, I think their skills and approach is probably justified as the best.

I see details as refinement, so stretching out every single mm of workable space.

Just a different way of looking at it. If this was a low budget, back end team, then I'd probably agree its a brute force and throwing things at it to try and help approach.
Right, but it still has nothing to do in here. You are supposed to talk in these car topics about the functionality of specific parts. Complexity is highly subjective. For instance I find the corner matrix of an orb hugely complex as it interlines infinite amounts of corners into a perfect curve, but somebody else might find that proposterous. Let's stay objective: discussion about parts and functionality of parts only.
#AeroFrodo

Huntresa
Huntresa

djones wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 15:36

Just because you have X amount of space at your disposal doesnt mean you have to use it. Clearly Merc with their philosphy needs to have dangly bits to make the car work the way they want, just as RB doesnt for their philosphy.

Neither of which we know anything about. So detail in form of more parts in avaible space can equal detail in minimal design approach aswell. Especially when comparing RB to Merc, since we know they have two very different approaches to how they setup and run their cars and how the cars handle the airflow around it.

Morteza

Via AMuS
Last edited by Morteza on 23 Mar 2017, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

Front suspension redesigned this year to keep the clever bits from sight

Mercedes exhausts with squashed (3d printed) sections to keep things slim

Mercedes sidepod. With the blue microphone for the on board footage

Front wishbone mounting to the camber bracket.

Photos and captions by @ScarbsTech
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

Sevach
Sevach

bill shoe
bill shoe

Christian Horner had a great quote a few years ago about how every couple years the packaging and detail of front-grid F1 cars progresses so much it makes the previous generation look like farm tractors. This Mercedes has staggering unbelievable detail, it's humbling just to look at it. This car makes any circa-2015 car look like a farm tractor.

roon
roon

bill shoe wrote:Christian Horner had a great quote a few years ago about how every couple years the packaging and detail of front-grid F1 cars progresses so much it makes the previous generation look like farm tractors. This Mercedes has staggering unbelievable detail, it's humbling just to look at it. This car makes any circa-2015 car look like a farm tractor.
Ultimately Merc have more resources, intel, money & people to throw at an F1 project. Now that the team have soundly proven they are a good investment to the parent company and consistently win, they recieved approval for more resources. I think this is what we are seeing in the W08.

That said, the Ferrari has some interesting & finessed details this year, and Red Bull I think are still the masters of internal packaging. As far as tractor comparisons go, we know which one might be the oil burner... ;) And it isn't a red nor a blue tractor.

Morteza

roon
roon

Huntresa wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 10:04
Thunders wrote:
23 Mar 2017, 09:48
And now it's a 3 Piece Wing.....
https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 0886496257
Amazing, wonder where it will end and how far it will go until FIA clamps down.
A spoiler alert, you might call it.