2017 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai 07-09 April

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2017 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai 07-09 April

Shrieker wrote: ↑
10 Apr 2017, 00:33

I'm +1 for not keeping Kimi (even said they should've hired Bianchi instead 3 years ago *sigh*), but to be perfectly honest they compromised his race by delaying his pit stop on the off chance that Lewis would run out of tires, pit and fall behind Kimi so he could be held up for Vettel. He was basically calling for a pit stop many, many laps in advance. If not for the intentional delay, he'd have finished ahead of the bulls.
He would fall back behind the bulls and worst case, Bottas. If he couldn't pass Dan earlier how would he pass three cars then? I can't see it. I was for Kimi staying out and defending.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

pipoloko
pipoloko

it grabbed my attention that mercedes qualy lap engine is always under 12.000 rpm

Sevach
Sevach

pipoloko wrote: ↑
10 Apr 2017, 03:09
it grabbed my attention that mercedes qualy lap engine is always under 12.000 rpm
Just like every other engine since 2014...
Last edited by Sevach on 10 Apr 2017, 08:07, edited 1 time in total.

sAx
sAx

Sevach wrote: ↑
10 Apr 2017, 06:20
pipoloko wrote: ↑
10 Apr 2017, 03:09
Just every other engine since 2014...
+1...lol
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

iotar__

bonjon1979 wrote: ↑
09 Apr 2017, 22:41
Nope. Not as clear cut as that. This is the rule.

'When the cars come back to the grid at the end of the formation lap (or laps, see Article 39.16), they will stop within their respective grid positions, keeping their engines running.'

There is no strict definition of 'within their respective grid positions'

I think that from now on we could see drivers try some funky things at the start. If one wheel is inside the grid spot, perhaps they are still within the grid position?
- Can they start sideways and block competition behind since there is no 'clear' definition on that either? Nonsense. Plus they have "clarifications' from last season (from memory so can be wrong) after someone didn't park within the box, someone asked about it and they clarified, popular word, that small margin of error left-right is OK but front - back is not. That wasn't small.

- It doesn't get any clearer, Vettel wasn't within his box.

- How about safety? How about he was "insufficiently" within his box and gained an unfair advantage? They can use soft selective rules when it comes to braking, speed and car control if they need them. They had all the ruled they needed.

- He wasn't penalised because they didn't want to penalise him, FIA is a corrupted, lying, incompetent bunch and F1 is Hulk Hogan wrestling pseudo sport. You know, for the show.

- Same as Verstappen's illegal defending last season they can put their heads in the sand when they want, add clarifications and remove them just like that #-o . Why wasn't Magnussen penalised in Aus, they didn't have clear rules to do it either? How on earth were other drivers penalised ever for similar transgressions since there are no rules? BS.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

iotar__ wrote: ↑
10 Apr 2017, 09:35
bonjon1979 wrote: ↑
09 Apr 2017, 22:41
Nope. Not as clear cut as that. This is the rule.

'When the cars come back to the grid at the end of the formation lap (or laps, see Article 39.16), they will stop within their respective grid positions, keeping their engines running.'

There is no strict definition of 'within their respective grid positions'

I think that from now on we could see drivers try some funky things at the start. If one wheel is inside the grid spot, perhaps they are still within the grid position?
- Can they start sideways and block competition behind since there is no 'clear' definition on that either? Nonsense. Plus they have "clarifications' from last season (from memory so can be wrong) after someone didn't park within the box, someone asked about it and they clarified, popular word, that small margin of error left-right is OK but front - back is not. That wasn't small.

- It doesn't get any clearer, Vettel wasn't within his box.

- How about safety? How about he was "insufficiently" within his box and gained an unfair advantage? They can use soft selective rules when it comes to braking, speed and car control if they need them. They had all the ruled they needed.

- He wasn't penalised because they didn't want to penalise him, FIA is a corrupted, lying, incompetent bunch and F1 is Hulk Hogan wrestling pseudo sport. You know, for the show.

- Same as Verstappen's illegal defending last season they can put their heads in the sand when they want, add clarifications and remove them just like that #-o . Why wasn't Magnussen penalised in Aus, they didn't have clear rules to do it either? How on earth were other drivers penalised ever for similar transgressions since there are no rules? BS.
True and I would lay good money that if someone from a lower team saw what Vettel did and then they try it themselves they will get a penalty.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

notsofast wrote: ↑
09 Apr 2017, 22:18
Can we discuss the inability of Verstappen to pass Grosjean in the closing laps please. Sure, it's possible that Verstappen went to Red Bull whining school. Sure, it's possible that his tires were shot. But let's assume that he was right, that he was indeed impeded by Grosjean's dirty air. In another topic on this forum we discussed that the new aero rules may cause different cars to create different wake structures, which in turn may impact different trailing cars differently. If it is indeed true that these wake structures can impede a car that is trailing 2 seconds or so, doesn't that mean that the FIA should take a look at the "blue flag" rules? I mean, why should it make a difference HOW a car is being impeded by a competitor who is effectively one lap behind? If the intent is for almost-lapped cars not to influence racing between the lead cars, then lead cars should not be impeded by the wake of an almost-lapped car. Thoughts?
thoughts are you're talking absolute nonsense in cheap shotting 'whining school'.

Verstappen overtook a huge amount of cars in the first laps, had a absolutely stunning pass on Danny Ric and repeated such many times on-track. There's a reason he was 'driver of the day'. Verstappen had DannyRic tailing him like crazy. The problem was not neccesarily not being able to overtake because of some wake, but there were multiple reasons. Obviously the dirty wake has an effect, and causes him to be hampered, but thats with any car in the field. Difference is, it was not for position, and now he deals with the wake of a non-batteling car, which he doesn't want when he's in danger of losing P3 to his teammate. second of all, DannyRic was within DRS range, Max wasn't compared to Grosjean, so Max has to battle Grosjean like he would battle Vettel not to gain a place, but only get a blockade out of his way.

Also, Grosjean was not really being a 'gentleman' about it, driving the racing line that made him similarly an opponent to overtake despite being lapped. You can argue he has his right to do so because of the rule change, but likewise, he had no opponent around him, and he would not gain nor lose anything. It rather makes him a annoying little *** that is living only for his own d*mn space. It would have been a 'gentleman's thing, or, the 'correct' thing, to simply move aside so the RB's could pass. he would have lost NOTHING.

Taking on Grosjean would put Max too much at risk to lose his position to DannyRic, which he had a hard time covering off. Despite having a DRS advantage and arguably faster car at that point in the race, DannyRic could not pass. Overtaking Grosjean could put that in danger.

Max was complaining because of a simple fact; up until this year, backmarkers/lapped cars need to get blueflagged for the faster cars so they can easily pass and not affect their race, which they are not involved into directly. Instead, the blue flag rule is dropped for this year and now the backmarkers have the right to stay on line. Essentially, they screw up the guys behind them. They don't benefit themselves from it, they only negatively impact the cars that lap them.

Verstappen was being political there, and that's the smart thing to do to hope getting the blue flags reinstalled. Remember vettel constanly crying over the board radio 'blue flag, blue flag, blue flag, blue flag!' 'this is rediculous'! 'come on!'. was it impossible for Vettel to overtake them? Hell no, but he's got every g***amn right to complain that a slow backmarker who isn't even fighting for a single point could be the reason that all his hard work goes down the drain when he must slow down for somebody and the competition can take advantage and pass.

is that racing? perhaps it is. is it annoying for the driver? definately yes. Would the driver prefer to see otherwise? most definately. Would they thus call for change in that? offcourse.

Nothing more, nothing less. No need to go tabloid crazy and turn this into some rediculous theory that he can't overtake, and the new design is a 'problem', whilst of anybody in China, Verstappen was THE example of overtaking.

Apart from that, i do agree that backmarkers should not negatively influence the cars they are not racing with, which is exactly the reason why the blue flag should be re-installed.

If a backmarker is hampered because they need to move aside for a frontrunner, then tough luck. To be fair, at the very best, it's only about a meager point. For the frontrunners, it's all about the WDC and the WCC. The frontrunners MIGHT ruin a meager point if that same backmarker doesnt act accordingly towards their competitor closeby. But the backmarkers WILL destroy WDC outcomes like this, which is really not done imho.

Also seriously impressed with Sainz, despite the clumsy and unnessecary start.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Manoah2u wrote: ↑
10 Apr 2017, 09:55

If a backmarker is hampered because they need to move aside for a frontrunner, then tough luck. To be fair, at the very best, it's only about a meager point. For the frontrunners, it's all about the WDC and the WCC. The frontrunners MIGHT ruin a meager point if that same backmarker doesnt act accordingly towards their competitor closeby. But the backmarkers WILL destroy WDC outcomes like this, which is really not done imho.
For a backmarker, that single point can be the difference between the team surviving or not. The prize money that the single point might bring is a significant part of their finances.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

F1NAC

why was grid scattered after SC came in?

nevill3

The blue flags have not been discarded for this year, the lead drivers do have to be closer to the potentially lapped cars though. Max was not close enough to Grosjean to trigger the blue flags when he first started to call for them to be waved. He did get closer at one point and a couple of flags were waved but then he dropped back before Grosjean had the chance to let him by. Max's tyres were worn and he had been complaining of under steer so when he encountered the disturbed air coming from Grosjean he was unable to maintain his closing speed. I think it was handled correctly, the use of blue flags should be banned but that is just my own opinion, Max was unable to catch Grosjean and Ricciardo tried to use the fact that Max had older tyres and couldn't catch Grosjean to try and steal his podium. Quality racing not hampered by stupid blue flag rules.

I think perhaps the blue flags should only be waved when the drivers are within a second or two and have been so for at least a lap or two and are obviously being blocked. The more skillful drivers will still be able to pass slower cars if they have the tyres and fuel to do so but this would become part of the strategy of racing, ensuring you have enough performance left to pass back markers quickly, else you are blocked for a couple of laps giving the racers behind a chance to close any gaps that have opened up, but then they would come across the same blockage.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

wickedz50
wickedz50

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
10 Apr 2017, 02:37

I'm +1 for not keeping Kimi (even said they should've hired Bianchi instead 3 years ago *sigh*), but to be perfectly honest they compromised his race by delaying his pit stop on the off chance that Lewis would run out of tires, pit and fall behind Kimi so he could be held up for Vettel. He was basically calling for a pit stop many, many laps in advance. If not for the intentional delay, he'd have finished ahead of the bulls.
He would fall back behind the bulls and worst case, Bottas. If he couldn't pass Dan earlier how would he pass three cars then? I can't see it. I was for Kimi staying out and defending.
Wish Alonso partnering Vettel at Ferrari. WCC 2017 Ferrari without doubt. [-o<

Schuttelberg

wickedz50 wrote: ↑
10 Apr 2017, 11:10
PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
10 Apr 2017, 02:37

Wish Alonso partnering Vettel at Ferrari. WCC 2017 Ferrari without doubt. [-o<
Sorry, but there's always some sort of excuse for Raikkonen not performing. There were people on these boards jumping around saying Raikkonen out qualified Vettel and while that was true statistically, Vettel had more technical trouble than Raikkonen. Kimi was better in 2016 than 2015, which in my opinion isn't some big feat because he was truly awful in 2015. After every race, there's some theory on the set up, the tyres, the circuit, other drivers or his team about why Kimi couldn't do a good job. Fact is, inspite of Vettel losing track position to Raikkonen through no fault of his own, he still mauled Raikkonen. He not only beat him but also put the Ferrari where it belonged.

For Raikkonen to be a threat, the car needs to be in a 'window' for him to find peak performance, which in all honesty every driver that takes the grid can do. Kimi was a special driver and is a deserved world champion, but he has overstayed his welcome a long time ago.

Alonso to Ferrari? Well, he went back to McLaren and I thought that would never happen. However, it's unlikely. I see at least 3/4 better options for Ferrari in terms of hiring. For all you know, they might give Raikkonen an extension.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Schuttelberg

I was for Kimi staying out and defending.
Outstanding point that. Hamilton only did another stop to cover Vettel who in turn did that stop to cover the Bulls! IMO, both Ham and Vet could have avoided one stop altogether.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

fiohaa
fiohaa

I do wonder why Ferrari didn't get kimi out the way and let vettel through. You'd think they'd tell kimi "u got 3 laps to pass him, or let vettel try ". That potentially cost vettel the win, as ham said on the podium he was having to push and trade fastest laps. Ferrari strategy still gives me concerns. It was such an obvious thing to do.

JonoNic

All these weird theories being shared on this forum. Next we will hear that Nico 6 will replace Kimi.

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.