2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
proteus

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

If they really clipped the wings as much as possible to provide atleast some kind of speed, and they are still arround 15kmh slower on the straight, than tomorrow they will be losing the positions and end up fighting with the Saubers.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

diffuser

I think Q3 was possible. If ALO would have matched his best in S3 (29.741) he would have made a 1:13.461. He would have needed an extra 6 100th to make .

He's better off in 12th and starting on Fresh tires.

Sonador
Sonador

So if Honda has half the budget and manpower, how on earth do they want to get ahead of their competitors?
I mean Honda is a great company with a great philosophy towards its employees, but this is no recepy for succes?
I am by no means a expert on what is needed to win a championship, but that seems over ambitious to me.

Do they feel that the quality of people working are better than the competitors?
It frightens me to be honest, they have had way less time to develop when they came back to F1.
Considering those things you could argue that they did an outstanding job ....

I also wonder why Zak Brown has changed his attitude (in the media) towards Honda.
Maybe pressure from the stockholders?

Was Mclaren unreasonable towards Honda? Was language/culture a hindrance

The chassis now is good, it was reasonable last year so that in itself is encouraging, and back to were Mclaren belongs.
I remeber they were Always very strong towards the end of the season with development.

mrluke
mrluke

proteus wrote:
10 Jun 2017, 19:45
If they really clipped the wings as much as possible to provide atleast some kind of speed, and they are still arround 15kmh slower on the straight, than tomorrow they will be losing the positions and end up fighting with the Saubers.
But have they? Are Mclaren running noticeably skinnier wings than the other teams?

proteus

mrluke wrote:
11 Jun 2017, 01:08
proteus wrote:
10 Jun 2017, 19:45
But have they? Are Mclaren running noticeably skinnier wings than the other teams?
Vandoorne said they did, after getting eliminated in Q1.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

McL-H
McL-H

SameSame wrote:
10 Jun 2017, 19:25
diffuser wrote:
10 Jun 2017, 19:22
Wow, 6 10th between ALO and Van
I wonder where Alonso would have qualified in Monaco, P4/P5?
I think this is a fair estimate.

the EDGE
the EDGE

McL-H wrote:
11 Jun 2017, 12:06
SameSame wrote:
10 Jun 2017, 19:25
diffuser wrote:
10 Jun 2017, 19:22
Wow, 6 10th between ALO and Van
I wonder where Alonso would have qualified in Monaco, P4/P5?
I think this is a fair estimate.
its a real pity we will never know

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Soichiro
Soichiro

As bad as Honda is in relation to peak power/consumption, how can they be sure that Mercedes engine would flatter the chassis in the same way as Honda is? Is it as tight, light and with equal or better COG? If not, can they calculate in the difference and how would that affect the S1 and S2 times?

I know McLaren has done the better (very good indeed) job this year, but I think some credit on that part should be given to Honda too.

HPD

A great driver with a bad mouth.

I hope things improve,

diffuser

thanks for that GoranF1 ..

The head of Honda’s formula one project, Yusuke Hasegawa, did express feelings of disappointment.
“Of course we can not be satisfied with this result. But it would be wrong if we had brought the engine upgrade to Canada already. It is not completely ready. We would’ve loved to bring it here, because Montreal is a high power track, but it would’ve been a mistake. I can’t give you a date as to when it will come, but we are working hard on it. I hope it will be ready for the race in Baku. And in the mean time we’ll make small adjustments to the current engine.“

Sounds like they want the "UPGRADE" to be a sure thing when they do bring it.

etusch

diffuser wrote:
11 Jun 2017, 16:48
thanks for that GoranF1 ..

The head of Honda’s formula one project, Yusuke Hasegawa, did express feelings of disappointment.
“Of course we can not be satisfied with this result. But it would be wrong if we had brought the engine upgrade to Canada already. It is not completely ready. We would’ve loved to bring it here, because Montreal is a high power track, but it would’ve been a mistake. I can’t give you a date as to when it will come, but we are working hard on it. I hope it will be ready for the race in Baku. And in the mean time we’ll make small adjustments to the current engine.“

Sounds like they want the "UPGRADE" to be a sure thing when they do bring it.
Yes. I hope the updated engine says shut up to all haters

etusch

Soichiro wrote:
11 Jun 2017, 15:52
As bad as Honda is in relation to peak power/consumption, how can they be sure that Mercedes engine would flatter the chassis in the same way as Honda is? Is it as tight, light and with equal or better COG? If not, can they calculate in the difference and how would that affect the S1 and S2 times?

I know McLaren has done the better (very good indeed) job this year, but I think some credit on that part should be given to Honda too.
They are talking very rude. Producing this kind of PU is much harder than making chassis and Mclaren couldn't do a winning chassis for a long time that gives Honda still a few years of tolerance if we give both side same amount of time

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

Qualifying P12 in a power circuit is pretty impressive from Alonso. We know the power deficit and reliability issue but ...... except for the straights the package is very very good. Let's see what the race brings.

If Honda can make a good step in terms of outright performance from next engine update (Baku hopefully) then polish it gently over next few races, they have a chance of being on par with Red Bull and in with a shout at podiums by the time Alonso decides his future.

GoranF1
GoranF1

HPD wrote:
11 Jun 2017, 16:30
A great driver with a bad mouth.

I hope things improve,
I think Alonso and Vandoorne do not criticize Honda as much as Honda deservs...they are to mild to Honda.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."