Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ripper
ripper

Re: Ferrari Power Unit

gruntguru wrote:
ripper wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 14:59
addictive manufacturing
:lol:
I like that.
Hahahaha I realized only now, but I won't edit that :D
Thunders wrote:
29 Jun 2017, 07:12
Weren't there Talks of these 3D Printed Pistons before the Season already?
Yes, but as far as I remember rumors said that 3D printing machines just arrived and Ferrari team was making calibrations and so on.

Big Mangalhit

Thunders wrote:
29 Jun 2017, 07:12
Weren't there Talks of these 3D Printed Pistons before the Season already?
And of the double anchor injector as well. But maybe they are still to be introduced?

PlatinumZealot

Its all circular rumours.
The information given on that page was likely scraped off the floors of forums like this one.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

djones
djones

Quick question about the second oil tank:

Would this hold different oil to the engine oil?

By that I mean, a different chemistry specifically for burning etc.

Because if not.... why not hide the system better and just use the main 'sump'.

etusch

I wonder that can that oil be used for more gas pressure on turbo rather than direct power on ice?

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

djones wrote:
30 Jun 2017, 12:34

There is no second oil tank and no sump. The crankcase is probably divided into chambers with minimal volume for each cylinder pair.

Is there a new FIA rule mandating maximum oil consumption now ?

amho

djones wrote:

I've heard in another from that oil burning is illigal and oil amount is regulated. I guess that second oil tanker is used for just better packaging.
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

roon
roon

Mudflap wrote:
01 Jul 2017, 17:28
djones wrote:

There is no second oil tank and no sump. The crankcase is probably divided into chambers with minimal volume for each cylinder pair.

I don't disagree, but what makes you sure of this?

If the floor bulges were oil tanks, they would have offered a CoG advantage. Two low flat tanks instead of a tall central tank in front of the engine. Polar moment perhaps similar or worse.

A thin flat tank with a pipe around the perimeter would be able to pull oil regardless of acceleration direction & sloshing.

How much oil can they carry? How much would this weigh? Could they have been pumping oil from one tank to the other as active ballast?

Stargazer
Stargazer

roon wrote:
02 Jul 2017, 23:07
If the floor bulges were oil tanks, they would have offered a CoG advantage. Two low flat tanks instead of a tall central tank in front of the engine. Polar moment perhaps similar or worse.
In the beginning of this season I've heard an interview from one of former F1 car designers (don't remember who it was) that the oil tank in the floor just doesn't make sense. I.e. that CoG advantage is just not worth the value given other issues that arise with such design. Maybe he meant either aero disadvantages or extra weight of pipes of packaging issues, etc.

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

roon wrote:
02 Jul 2017, 23:07
Mudflap wrote:
01 Jul 2017, 17:28
djones wrote:

I don't disagree, but what makes you sure of this?

A thin flat tank with a pipe around the perimeter would be able to pull oil regardless of acceleration direction & sloshing.

How much oil can they carry? How much would this weigh? Could they have been pumping oil from one tank to the other as active ballast?
I believe djones was asking about a second tank for 'fuel-like' oil. This is specifically forbidden.

I suspect that the weight of any extra oil and tanks combined with the higher pumping losses would probably negate any performance gain. Plus oil aeration increases with oil capacity although I suspect they run centrifuges anyway.

On the other hand the water is a better candidate for ballast as it has a higher density and the losses are minimal throughout the race. But then again it takes more power to pump so who knows?

Vortex Motio
Vortex Motio

PlatinumZealot wrote:
30 Jun 2017, 01:03
Its all circular rumours.
The information given on that page was likely scraped off the floors of forums like this one.
Both stories (the original from the end of January and this recent one) are by the well experienced and respected Italian journalist Franco Nugnes (formerly of OmniCourse, now at it.motorsport.com).

For easy reference here is the link to the original January 31st story (in English):
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... ng-870008/

Compare that first one to this update of June 28 (thank you very much ripper for the translation, btw) :
ripper wrote:
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... ra-924343/

Short summary:

- ICE number 3 in Silverstone for both Ferrari cars
- Hamilton in Baku Q3 used the "overboost" on a scale of 8 on 10 (10 max power) and the Mercs used a special fuel on qualy, that wasn't used for the race because they feared that during SC temperatures might rise too much
- New Ferrari ICE should have changes in combustion chamber, it should have 400 bar pressure in the combustion chamber and a compression ratio of 16:1
- There are rumors about steel pistons done with addictive manufacturing with more resistance than aluminium ones, but only slightly heavier, due to honeycomb structure that helps also with heat dispersion
- This ICE should have also changes in the TJI system and should adopt also a new Magneti Marelli's double anchor micro injector that should be able to do multi injections (pre-combustion, combustion, cooling).
- New Shell fuel should be used with this ICE
- From first 062 PU to this evolution there are rumors about 50 hp gain

Juzh

ripper wrote:
- From first 062 PU to this evolution there are rumors about 50 hp gain
This just seems way too much.

ripper
ripper

That's what I think too, it would be really a big midseason step. If I remeber correctly EVO1 PU had 10 more hp plus some gains for a new fuel. Other 30 hp, on top on that, seems too much... but I just translated.

kalinka
kalinka

Special qualy fuel is also forbidden by the rules as far as I'm aware...

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

I think 400 bar peak cylinder pressure is a bit unrealistic. Maybe with moderate detonation.

The v8 had 13-14 CR and that was a geometrical limitation. I don t see how you can get 16 without reducing valve lift considerably or designing a piston with massive recesses.

I still think honeycomb structures are rubbish at dissipating heat. Unless you fill in the gaps with a more conductive material (which is not allowed).

Pretty sure it's recycled news.