[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Hi, I am back in the office, in the next days I will release some picture of the car I will use for the first two races.

About the intro class car that I see in the CAESES web utility: I can't see any suspension cover. The original CAD model included them (they are important for the performances of the cooling ducts). Are you sure that the geometry is up to date?

LVDH

Hi,
the car in the CAESES geometry tool is indeed an old version of the car. Changing it takes a lot of time and Friendship Systems focused more on getting the app stable.
The car is more or less only in there for visual reference. You only export the wings and floor from the app.
They are working and more features and I am sure with the next update a mre up to date car geometry will be in there.

CAEdevice

Here is the car that will run in Monaco and Nurburgring, its name is MP005A.

It is just an evolution of the 2016 car (compliant with the 2017 rules) because I did not have much time to develop a new concept: the "real" 2017 design will be ready only in September.

Can't wait to see the other cars, especially Variante, JJR and TF :D
Last edited by CAEdevice on 17 Jul 2017, 16:02, edited 3 times in total.

garyjpaterson

CAEdevice wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 15:42
Here is the car that will run in Monaco and Nurburgring, its name is MP005A.

https://photos-5.dropbox.com/t/2/AAC2Ms ... ize_mode=3

Can't wait to see the other cars, especially Variante, JJR and TF :D
I'm seeing no image, Matteo ;)

CAEdevice

I'm seeing no image, Matteo ;)
I think it is a problem with DropBox... Let me try something else

EDIT: It should work now

RicME85

RicME85 wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 04:52
AratzH wrote: On the software bug side, I have the same problem as with last years GUI. All seems to work but when I try to launch a simulation from the GUI I get the "case folder is not in shared folder with OpenFoam" message. The strange thin is that the case is in the shared folder (I can launch it from the OF terminal...). No big deal, but I thought I should mention.
I have a clean Win7 install with just drivers and the required software for MVRC. I have just tried to do a test run with the intro class car but I have encountered the same "case folder is not in shared folder" error BUT when I tried to get around it by doing everything in the OF terminal it didn't find my case folder after typing cd workingDir and then cd test (name of folder with case in it). It changed to the working directory fine but found nothing in there. Is there a command I can use to list the folders in the working directory to figure out which folder is apparently workingDir?
I have tried going back into Virtual box and double checking the shared folder and cross referenced last year's MVRC OF PDF instructions to no avail, I even tried a completely different location but nada.
My working directory is supposed to be c:\CFD.....
I ran the OF environment shortcut and even got the username folder inside (c:\CFD\Richard) which I then put the test folder in.
Seems odd that VirtualBox/OpenFOAM created the folder with my username inside CFD directory but then doesn't see it as the working directory.
When I did this for last year's competition this bit worked fine every time so am really confused by this.
Well, I have it working now. I uninstalled OF/VB/Docker with Revo, rebooted then reinstalled and OF now recognises the working directory. How odd. MantiumFlow however doesnt. Then when I close MantiumFlow and go back to OF in terminal the workingDir doesnt work again. That seems really odd but explains why workingDir worked after uninstalling OF/VB/Docker.

RicME85

Any idea what is going on here?

rjsa
rjsa

Something like this happens to me when the control surface is locked inside the car's body, without access to the external airflow

RicME85

At this rate I am going to just throw together whatever car I can from the CAESES geometry tool with ZERO testing and hope to score a point or two. Not ideal but I guess with the official results I will have a baseline for race two!

LVDH

You can send me your case and I will have a look. Also please take note of the Q&A section on the challenge page.

LVDH

OK, I solved it. Please head over to the Q&A section on the page and ask your question there. That way the answer will be preserved for the others, so they do not have to repeat or at least find a solution to this mistake.

RicME85

rjsa wrote:
07 Jul 2017, 20:58
Ft5fTL wrote:
07 Jul 2017, 18:47
It seems that the new software doesnt give the cop results. What is the formula?
=(3/(1+(ClFwd/ClRwd)))
That means nothing to me. I am not very good at maths so can that be written in a more basic/easy to understand manner please :D And can we get CoP calculation in the post processing thanks :)

rjsa
rjsa

Try this : COP=(3/(1+((cl(F))/(cl(R)))))

Here: http://asciimath.org/

PS: Is there any kind of math markup available here at F1T?

LVDH

I have already included it into the post-processing again. The next release of software will be after the submission for the first race. It contains very minor bug fixes. Maybe Friday I can include the stream lines as well.

LVDH

Hi,
I received nervous emails about one of the teams not shown on the team section of the challenge page. No need to worry, TF is back.
As I can now add sliders for the car images I updated Idadox. I think he could be very strong this year, so try and have a good look at what he submitted.