2017 F1 general testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
f1316
102
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: 2017 F1 general testing thread

Post by f1316 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:54 pm

Gerhardsa wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:10 pm
Manoah2u wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:04 pm
I know, but that doesn't matter. he passed the 5-sec escape test today. He needs to do that because he's participating tomorrow in the test.
And race from Spa onwards... :mrgreen:
Hopefully :)

From following the test here https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/live ... rn-937643/ he seems to be on a long run but don't think it's a race sim.

Hopefully they'll give him a quali sim before end of the day as track conditions apparently not much different from the weekend and will be an easy to read comparison.

Gerhardsa
6
User avatar
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: 2017 F1 general testing thread

Post by Gerhardsa » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:37 pm

Just saw this in terms of laptimes on a longer run from Kubica.

Kubica's last run: 1:21.2, 1:21.4, 1:21.3, 1:21.3, 1:21.5, 1:21.1, 1:21.5, 1:21.0, 1:21.6, 1:21.5, 1:21.3, 1:21.3.

Whats the chance of this being a comparison with the pace during the race ?

Seems pretty close to the speeds from about the middle to the last quarter of the race. (generally speaking)

If it is, I find it astonishing, seeing that he basically has 1 working hand, doing up and down shifts on left hand side, clutch, etc.
Wonder if there is enough mobility in his right hand to adjust the steering wheel settings on the fly?
Last edited by Gerhardsa on Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cplchanb
0
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:13 pm

Re: 2017 F1 general testing thread

Post by cplchanb » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:41 pm

Gerhardsa wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:37 pm
Just saw this in terms of laptimes on a longer run from Kubica.

Kubica's last run: 1:21.2, 1:21.4, 1:21.3, 1:21.3, 1:21.5, 1:21.1, 1:21.5, 1:21.0, 1:21.6, 1:21.5, 1:21.3, 1:21.3.

Whats the chance of this being a comparison with the pace during the race ?

Seems pretty close to the speeds from about the middle to the last quarter of the race. (generally speaking)
it is quite difficult to tell...no traffic, no tire, fuel and engine saving, new parts. At least theres competitive consistency which at this time is key

f1316
102
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Re: 2017 F1 general testing thread

Post by f1316 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:35 pm

"That lap puts Kubica just half a second down on Jolyon Palmer's Hungarian GP qualy time (1:18.415)"

If it's a proper quali sim, you'd really want to see Palmer's time beaten, given how far off Hulk he was.

I know, under the circumstances it's still very good, but if they're to be convinced to get rid of Palmer, you'd hope this isn't quali fuel level and/or track conditions are very different.

TAG
48
User avatar
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:18 pm
Location: in a good place

Re: 2017 F1 general testing thread

Post by TAG » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:42 pm

djos wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:12 am
oh rubbish, you rarely get to the top of F1 with a customer engine, Mclaren did the right thing bringing Honda back into the sport - unfortunately Honda have made a lot of mistakes along the way ... however if they can eventually produce a competitive PU, then it all the pain will make the victories that much more satisfying for Mclaren.
Rarely except with Brawn and Red Bull winning five of the last 8.

It would be the right thing if it worked. It was a gamble that Dennis was willing to make and it didn't pay off. I should say hasn't paid off. At this point the conversation has been had as to why their best option is to stick with Honda but when you say they can "eventually produce a competitive PU"; Even under the most optimistic conditions, they'd get maybe two seasons of being a bonafied competitor for a championship before the new PU regulations kick in 2021. At best this can be described as a failure at worst a catastrophe. The ship of ever being able to call this a success has long sailed.

In 2021 with PUs being made less complex, we're likely to see more manufacturer options on the PU market and therefore no real reason to stay with Honda long term.
When you are torn between choices, always pick the one that will make the best story. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ennis
4
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:47 am

Re: 2017 F1 general testing thread

Post by Ennis » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:01 pm

TAG wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:42 pm
djos wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:12 am
oh rubbish, you rarely get to the top of F1 with a customer engine, Mclaren did the right thing bringing Honda back into the sport - unfortunately Honda have made a lot of mistakes along the way ... however if they can eventually produce a competitive PU, then it all the pain will make the victories that much more satisfying for Mclaren.
Rarely except with Brawn and Red Bull winning five of the last 8.

It would be the right thing if it worked. It was a gamble that Dennis was willing to make and it didn't pay off. I should say hasn't paid off. At this point the conversation has been had as to why their best option is to stick with Honda but when you say they can "eventually produce a competitive PU"; Even under the most optimistic conditions, they'd get maybe two seasons of being a bonafied competitor for a championship before the new PU regulations kick in 2021. At best this can be described as a failure at worst a catastrophe. The ship of ever being able to call this a success has long sailed.

In 2021 with PUs being made less complex, we're likely to see more manufacturer options on the PU market and therefore no real reason to stay with Honda long term.

Red Bull weren't a normal customer. I think perhaps the better thing for him to have said is "you rarely get to the top of F1 with a customer engine, whilst the supplier has a fully-fledged team".

McLaren could not have competed with Mercedes.

djos
83
User avatar
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 5:09 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: 2017 F1 general testing thread

Post by djos » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:40 pm

Ennis wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:01 pm
TAG wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:42 pm
djos wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:12 am
oh rubbish, you rarely get to the top of F1 with a customer engine, Mclaren did the right thing bringing Honda back into the sport - unfortunately Honda have made a lot of mistakes along the way ... however if they can eventually produce a competitive PU, then it all the pain will make the victories that much more satisfying for Mclaren.
Rarely except with Brawn and Red Bull winning five of the last 8.

It would be the right thing if it worked. It was a gamble that Dennis was willing to make and it didn't pay off. I should say hasn't paid off. At this point the conversation has been had as to why their best option is to stick with Honda but when you say they can "eventually produce a competitive PU"; Even under the most optimistic conditions, they'd get maybe two seasons of being a bonafied competitor for a championship before the new PU regulations kick in 2021. At best this can be described as a failure at worst a catastrophe. The ship of ever being able to call this a success has long sailed.

In 2021 with PUs being made less complex, we're likely to see more manufacturer options on the PU market and therefore no real reason to stay with Honda long term.

Red Bull weren't a normal customer. I think perhaps the better thing for him to have said is "you rarely get to the top of F1 with a customer engine, whilst the supplier has a fully-fledged team".

McLaren could not have competed with Mercedes.
The reality is that RedBull where the Renault works team in everything but name, they even had Renault-Nissan alliance infiniti backing which included a technical partnership.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.

NathanOlder
34
User avatar
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am
Location: Kent

Re: 2017 F1 general testing thread

Post by NathanOlder » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:22 pm

Yup, so just Brawn. Red Bull, Like Mclaren in 2008 and the late 90's had full factory support.

So I agree Mclaren were right to go for Honda. And even now wouldn't regret it.

avatar
5
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:01 pm

Re: 2017 F1 general testing thread

Post by avatar » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:23 pm

f1316 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:54 pm

From following the test here https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/live ... rn-937643/ he seems to be on a long run but don't think it's a race sim.
RK ended p4 in the timings on ultras. Without knowing what kit or program they were running, it seems like a decent showing with some really consistent times thrown in.

More impressive for me was the McHonda <0.25s off the lead Ferrari (that's 0.25, not 2.5). Ferrari may not have been running full engine modes, but the rest of the teams barely made a dent (though who knows what programmes they had - Merc and RBR conspicuously low key in headline times - maybe no qually sims).

p.s.
Some of the user comments on that link are kinda funny things like:
* "almost faster than Palmer" (so... ... slower than?)
* and a massive long argument about how "omg Norris might be faster than Vandorne or Alonso" (different tyres) despite running a different spec car, in a test session, in different track & traffic conditions, without a second car or one of the race drivers as a benchmark etc.

netoperek
3
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:06 pm

Re: 2017 F1 general testing thread

Post by netoperek » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:54 pm

RK did not do any qually sim laps according to Renaul engineer Ricardo Penteado (source: http://globoesporte.globo.com/motor/for ... bica.ghtml ). He was supposed to, but red flag fever at the end of the test prevented it. So it seems, that his best lap was made on "race trim" with a bit more of a fuel load. Anyways, how good or bad were his times, only Renault team would know. Think of it that way, if You were in Renault's shoes, would You show all the cards?

Mandrake
12
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 12:31 am

Re: 2017 F1 general testing thread

Post by Mandrake » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:24 pm

Ferrari just with SuperSoft and not Ultra Soft in the fastest lap, right?

avatar
5
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:01 pm

Re: 2017 F1 general testing thread

Post by avatar » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:22 pm

netoperek wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:54 pm
RK did not do any qually sim laps according to Renault engineer Ricardo Penteado (source: http://globoesporte.globo.com/motor/for ... bica.ghtml ). He was supposed to, but red flag fever at the end of the test prevented it. So it seems, that his best lap was made on "race trim" with a bit more of a fuel load. Anyways, how good or bad were his times, only Renault team would know. Think of it that way, if You were in Renault's shoes, would You show all the cards?
From that report - RK basically, was at the very least, no worse than they'd have expected from any active race driver on the grid. Can't judge outright driver (or car) performance, but definitly impressed.

p.s. I put the article through Google Translate as I don't know Portuguese - I was wondering why it kept mentioning "Hairstyle" - apparently, that's a translation of Penteado!

avatar
5
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:01 pm

Re: 2017 F1 general testing thread

Post by avatar » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:28 pm

Mandrake wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:24 pm
Ferrari just with SuperSoft and not Ultra Soft in the fastest lap, right?
Yes, took me a while to find a sheet with tyres shown (probably already posted in here, but just in case:
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/testresults/ ... gust-2017/

ChrisDanger
38
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:59 am

Re: 2017 F1 general testing thread

Post by ChrisDanger » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:13 pm

avatar wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:28 pm
Mandrake wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:24 pm
Ferrari just with SuperSoft and not Ultra Soft in the fastest lap, right?
Yes, took me a while to find a sheet with tyres shown (probably already posted in here, but just in case:
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/testresults/ ... gust-2017/
That was a live ticker, so the tyres are most likely what they ran on their final stint, not necessarily what they wore for thier fastest time.



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CCBot [Bot] and 0 guests