Silly Season 2017/2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FrukostScones

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

Driverless SC ... I m c rying laughing. :lol:
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

FrukostScones wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 17:09
what?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

FrukostScones

Manoah2u wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 20:33
FrukostScones wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 17:09
what?
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13133 ... safety-car
"Let me give you an example, but it is not the only one: we have spoken about an unmanned safety car," Budkowski told Autosport.

"It would promote a technology about which there is a bit of scepticism and, instead, it could be shown that it works.

"The safety car driver would no longer be essential, because it would leave the controls to the computer.
"Autonomous driving will have a very strong impact on safety and we know how the FIA and [president] Jean Todt are engaged in the Action for Road Safety campaign."
bahahaha, all that autonomous driving bullcrap. soon free driving will be banned! what's the point...! What is next? autonomous driving motorcycles... hahaha also in the pipeline, give it a rest! shoot me, or get me a horse!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

GPR-A duplicate2

Why do they even need a physical safety car? They can have an elevated version of VSC and call that as SC. Even today, drivers are supposed to maintain a slow speed and they can achieve that without having a physical car running in front of the field. Why do they need a DRIVER-LESS car? Stupidity.

AngusF1
AngusF1

There are very good reasons for the existence and continued use of the physical safety car. It's main purpose is not to slow the drivers down (which can be achieved through other methods), but to place an actual human driver who is not distracted by racing, and a separate human observer, physically on the track to determine when it is safe for racing to resume. Actually driving on the track gives two pairs of eyeballs a better view of the track than anywhere else possible, as well as the ability to feel for any problems with the track (oil, debris etc). The safety car is used in this functionality before the start of every race on an F1 weekend when it performs its inspection lap.

dodds_turbo

One driver confirmed for next year:

Raikkonen retained by Ferrari for 2018
Ferrari have announced that Kimi Raikkonen is to remain with the team for another year, and will race for them until the end of the 2018 FIA Formula One World Championship.

It will be Raikkonen’s fifth consecutive season with the Italian squad, whom he rejoined for their 2014 campaign, having previously raced for them between 2007 and 2009, winning the world title in his first year with the Scuderia.

It means the Finn’s driver partnership with Sebastian Vettel will continue for a fourth season, assuming Vettel also stays on with Ferrari for 2018 – something considered highly likely, especially in light of Raikkonen being retained.

The pair have formed a strong bond at Maranello, and though it is Vettel currently leading the drivers’ championship, Raikkonen has also been very much on form of late, finishing on the podium at the last two rounds.

Despite his recent upswing in performance, however, Raikkonen has not won for Ferrari during his current stint with the team, his last victory in red coming at the 2009 Belgian Grand Prix.

In total, nine of his 20 F1 career victories have been with Ferrari. He won another nine with McLaren early in his career, and two with Lotus in 2012-13.

Raikkonen's 122 starts for the Prancing Horse, meanwhile, place him third on the team's all-time list, behind only Michael Schumacher (179) and Felipe Massa (139).
SOURCE: www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/20 ... -2018.html

PlatinumZealot

Nice work sebastian! NOT!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

RedNEO

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 13:26
Nice work sebastian! NOT!
He doesn't want to get a Ricardo type spanking again so will only sign one year extensions with his favourite number two driver incase a stronger team mate comes in the future lol

Phil

So this will get the ball rolling then. Looks more likely then that Seb will stay another year at Ferrari and Bottas will remain at Mercedes...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

dren

Could see a Bottas - Leclerc pairing at Ferrari in 2019.
Honda!

jonas_linder
jonas_linder

I think you are paying too large attention to the rumors that VET required RAI to sign a new contract. It is easy to say that RAI is 5th in the standings and totally ignore what has happened so far in the season. Sure, Kimi has underperformed at some races but there are also other circumstances. Based on the same reasoning, I guess Max should be sent back to TR (both of them have scored 57% of their team-mates scores)? Considering that a F1 team basically is a non-profit (i.e. they will use all the money they get) organization it makes total sense from a commercial perspective to re-hire one of the most-liked drivers on the grid who also happens to be their last WC.

RedNEO

jonas_linder wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 15:01
I think you are paying too large attention to the rumors that VET required RAI to sign a new contract. It is easy to say that RAI is 5th in the standings and totally ignore what has happened so far in the season. Sure, Kimi has underperformed at some races but there are also other circumstances. Based on the same reasoning, I guess Max should be sent back to TR (both of them have scored 57% of their team-mates scores)? Considering that a F1 team basically is a non-profit (i.e. they will use all the money they get) organization it makes total sense from a commercial perspective to re-hire one of the most-liked drivers on the grid who also happens to be their last WC.
Comparing Kimi to Max is ridiculous. Kimi has just been bog slow while with Max it's the complete opposite. Just go look at the qualifying head to heads. Any argument to keep Kimi is total nonsense now, he's clearly passed it.

iotar__

dren wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 14:29
Could see a Bottas - Leclerc pairing at Ferrari in 2019.
- So it's not Giovinazzi anymore, what happened to him =P~ ? At least he had some competition.
- BTW is Leclerc better than Vadoorne?

Zynerji

Team harmony is priceless, and having 2 drivers with a shared development vision (that are also good friends off track) is most likely why Ferrari have resurged.

Why is anyone bothered by this? If I was Ferrari, I wouldn't change what is currently working either...

RedNEO

Zynerji wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 15:42
Team harmony is priceless, and having 2 drivers with a shared development vision (that are also good friends off track) is most likely why Ferrari have resurged.

Why is anyone bothered by this? If I was Ferrari, I wouldn't change what is currently working either...
I'll take verstaphen in a Ferrari over this fake team harmony nonsense. This is f1 not friends.