Silly Season 2017/2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FrukostScones

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

so PER 2nd driver at Ferrari?

(little joke)
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

SR71

Isn't it possible that in a technical sport you might just want to keep one of the best development and feedback drivers around (kimi) in your car?

People attribute too much of Ferraris recent success to Vettel (who also works very hard from a technical and feedback point of view).

Ferrari is doing something they've failed to do with previous star drivers - move forward.

Why would they rock the boat from a technical side?

Both Red Bull drivers are gaining a reputation for weak feedback. Put a Ferrari young driver in the car is equally risky from a technical feedback perspective.

If you want your car to dominate Kimi is the guy you need giving feedback every weekend. Kimi has shown speed this year and the only way for that to be possible is the car is being developed to his preference - something Seb benefits from due to similar styles.

F1NAC

dren

iotar__ wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 15:33
dren wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 14:29
Could see a Bottas - Leclerc pairing at Ferrari in 2019.
- So it's not Giovinazzi anymore, what happened to him =P~ ? At least he had some competition.
- BTW is Leclerc better than Vadoorne?
I haven't been impressed with Vandoorne other than he keeps out of trouble on the track unlike other newcomers. People seem to rate Leclerc high. I'm curious if we'll see him in a Sauber next year.
Honda!

Jolle
Jolle

SR71 wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 16:59
Isn't it possible that in a technical sport you might just want to keep one of the best development and feedback drivers around (kimi) in your car?

People attribute too much of Ferraris recent success to Vettel (who also works very hard from a technical and feedback point of view).

Ferrari is doing something they've failed to do with previous star drivers - move forward.

Why would they rock the boat from a technical side?

Both Red Bull drivers are gaining a reputation for weak feedback. Put a Ferrari young driver in the car is equally risky from a technical feedback perspective.

If you want your car to dominate Kimi is the guy you need giving feedback every weekend. Kimi has shown speed this year and the only way for that to be possible is the car is being developed to his preference - something Seb benefits from due to similar styles.
I don’t think the (racing) drivers these days deliver so much feedback anymore. The whole design is much more scientific then trail and error these days. A good sim driver (where Ferrari stands out with a whole bunch of them) is where the real tinkering is done I guess.

I don’t think Kimi has ever seen the inside of the sim 😂

As long as he challenges Vettel a bit during race weekends (not too much!!) they are happy, especially because he’s got a steady following. PM likes him.

FrukostScones

FrukostScones wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 16:50
so PER 2nd driver at Ferrari?

(little joke)
but what if VET retires after the title? O.o
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

djos

RedNEO wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 13:52
PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 13:26
Nice work sebastian! NOT!
He doesn't want to get a Ricardo type spanking again so will only sign one year extensions with his favourite number two driver incase a stronger team mate comes in the future lol
yep, he's totally doing a Shuey + Barrichello / Massa. Cant say I blame him tho, from a selfish pov it makes sense. However if you look at RBR, they imo will be able to develop their car faster with two mega quick drivers - they are only being let down by the Renault PU atm or imo they'd be competing for wins every week.
"In downforce we trust"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Yes, but facts are that @ RedBull, Vettel and Webber had multiple fallouts and DNF's due to contact with eachother.
The same happened @ Mercedes with Rosberg and Hamilton.

@ Ferrari, this doesn't happen due to the simple fact that Ferrari has a NR1 driver and a NR2 driver.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

RedNEO

djos wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 01:36
RedNEO wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 13:52
PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 13:26
Nice work sebastian! NOT!
He doesn't want to get a Ricardo type spanking again so will only sign one year extensions with his favourite number two driver incase a stronger team mate comes in the future lol
yep, he's totally doing a Shuey + Barrichello / Massa. Cant say I blame him tho, from a selfish pov it makes sense. However if you look at RBR, they imo will be able to develop their car faster with two mega quick drivers - they are only being let down by the Renault PU atm or imo they'd be competing for wins every week.
Yeah it's a good strat if you were in his shoes. But you're also right about how two drivers pushing each other will make the car improve quicker and at least give them a big chance of bagging the wcc while also being exciting to watch.

Vet doesn't strike me as a driver that will hang around for long, I can see him doing a nico rosberg if he bags the championship with Ferrari.

Zynerji

RedNEO wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 16:39
Zynerji wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 15:42
Team harmony is priceless, and having 2 drivers with a shared development vision (that are also good friends off track) is most likely why Ferrari have resurged.

Why is anyone bothered by this? If I was Ferrari, I wouldn't change what is currently working either...
I'll take verstaphen in a Ferrari over this fake team harmony nonsense. This is f1 not friends.
And that's why you are not in charge of an F1 team...😂😂

RedNEO

Zynerji wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 02:57
RedNEO wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 16:39
Zynerji wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 15:42
Team harmony is priceless, and having 2 drivers with a shared development vision (that are also good friends off track) is most likely why Ferrari have resurged.

Why is anyone bothered by this? If I was Ferrari, I wouldn't change what is currently working either...
I'll take verstaphen in a Ferrari over this fake team harmony nonsense. This is f1 not friends.
And that's why you are not in charge of an F1 team...😂😂
Because I'd pick the best drivers available?

Redbull don't seem to have a problem running two equal drivers but what do I know

Phil

jonas_linder wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 15:01
I think you are paying too large attention to the rumors that VET required RAI to sign a new contract.
I am not assuming that Vettel required anything.

I'm saying that with Vettels contract still not confirmed for next year, it makes things a little more predictable for him.

1.) he will retain his team-leader position

2.) has a team-mate he can beat

3.) good harmonic team that caters around him.

These are important variables. Lets assume Vettel has an opportunity to go to Mercedes next year. Will he be a team leader there? Not a chance, under that management with another star driver there. Will he beat and be better than Hamilton? Will the team be as harmonic?

Retaining Kimi at Ferrari has made Vettels contract extension a formality IMO. The big question I assume they are negotiating is, at what price and how long. Vettel may want have an opportunity to go to Mercedes if Hamilton leaves at the end of 2019. The question is, will Ferrari give him an easy out?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

McLaren officially confirms Vandoorne for 2018.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/team/st ... t-3165489/

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

A little surprised to see Kimi retained another year, but thinking what can they gain taking another driver. Only Perez and Sainz would be options, but would they be faster? And if they ware f aster than Kimi, they could compete with Vettel, a situation Ferrari does not want.

Kimi is the logical choice afteral. Slow enough to let Vettel storm for the title. Just fast enough to steel some points from Mercedes on a good day.

PlatinumZealot

Kimi logical choice? I think he is Vettel's choice. Kimi single handedly losing Ferrari the constructors and for once in a long time they have the fastest car for the first half of the season.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏