Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
godlameroso

Re: Honda Power Unit

7.8 Main oil tank level measurement:
The measurement of the oil level in the main oil tank must be supplied to FIA at all times. The main oil tank is the oil tank directly connected to the engine oil feed at the inlet of the oil pressure pump.
7.9 Oil injection
The use of active control valves between any part of the PU and the engine intake air is forbidden.

These are the relevant regulations, they are in fact quite interesting, and sort of gives away the game. Platinum Zealot was right on the money. Does this mean that one is no longer allowed to route PCV to the intake even for EGR purposes?
Saishū kōnā

MrPotatoHead

godlameroso wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 00:03
The measurement of the oil level in the main oil tank must be supplied to FIA at all times. The main oil tank is the oil tank directly connected to the engine oil feed at the inlet of the oil pressure pump.
7.9 Oil injection
The use of active control valves between any part of the PU and the engine intake air is forbidden.

These are the relevant regulations, they are in fact quite interesting, and sort of gives away the game. Platinum Zealot was right on the money. Does this mean that one is no longer allowed to route PCV to the intake even for EGR purposes?
There are other new rules that are very specific and very relevant to how the engines work also. 8)
But yes 7.9 gives away some of what is being done. Not burning oil but the vapors of "things" in the oil.
But as I have mentioned this makes a small difference overall compared to what has been extracted from the fuel itself.

And they can still route PCV the rule specifically states "active". They can use passive / mechanical systems.

MrPotatoHead

ARTICLE 20 : ENGINE OIL
20.1 Each competitor must declare, prior to every Event, which oil will be used in each of their
engines during the Event
20.2 For reference purposes, before any oil may be used at an Event, a sample must be submitted
to the FIA together with the oil reference number and its detailed specification.
20.3 No competitor may use more than one oil in a given engine during an Event.

MrPotatoHead

This one is by far my favorite new rule for 2018 though :D

5.1.11 An insert within a PU component is a minimal, non-dismountable part whose function is solely
to locally support a function of this component. The total volume of inserts within the
component cannot be more than 10% of the total volume of the component.

godlameroso

MrPotatoHead wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 03:25

5.1.11 An insert within a PU component is a minimal, non-dismountable part whose function is solely
to locally support a function of this component. The total volume of inserts within the
So the pre-chamber is less than 10% of the total chamber volume? Or is the insert part of the fuel injector?
Saishū kōnā

JonoNic

MrPotatoHead wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
7.9 Oil injection

There are other new rules that are very specific and very relevant to how the engines work also. 8)
But yes 7.9 gives away some of what is being done. Not burning oil but the vapors of "things" in the oil.
But as I have mentioned this makes a small difference overall compared to what has been extracted from the fuel itself.

And they can still route PCV the rule specifically states "active". They can use passive / mechanical systems.
Could applying a strong electromagnetic field just before combustion increase the miniscule increase in effiency that oil burning affords?
Always find the gap then use it.

MrPotatoHead

godlameroso wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 04:30
MrPotatoHead wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 03:25

So the pre-chamber is less than 10% of the total chamber volume? Or is the insert part of the fuel injector?
If I were to speculate for a minute I would suggest the reason they can use a “pre chamber” is because it is a part of the direct injector assembly.
Hence the new rule limiting insert volume of a component to 10%.

MrPotatoHead

JonoNic wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 05:43
MrPotatoHead wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
7.9 Oil injection

Could applying a strong electromagnetic field just before combustion increase the miniscule increase in effiency that oil burning affords?
I still take offense to the term “burning oil” if they are not burning oil directly.

And I am not sure about your question. I have never really thought about that.

My idea of how the "oil burning" works was/is that there is the oil itself and then there is the component of the oil that vaporizes out and can be burned. Wording of Wazari's post seems to suggest this is how it works.

I'm guessing the trickiest part comes down to how and when these vapors become available to be used for additional power.

Just an idea but the vapor pressure of the combustible compounds would be the key to keeping their supply available for use over an extended period of time without creating excessive crankcase pressure. I'm guessing this can be tuned by the lubricant provider. Again, that's just a guess and I'm far from an expert on this stuff. Just throwing an idea out there. I would love to delve more into it. I don't think it's a magic bullet but I think it's a piece of the complex puzzle.

MrPotatoHead

There is always negative pressure in the crankcase from the Dry Sump system.
This helps with piston ring sealing.
Further complicating things.

JonoNic

MrPotatoHead wrote:
I still take offense to the term “burning oil” if they are not burning oil directly.

And I am not sure about your question. I have never really thought about that.
I used the term just to give it a name. However, I remember reading an article in the early 90s about applying an electromagnetic field to the hydro carbons helps with combustion. I wonder if that could help with fast burn
Always find the gap then use it.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

MrPotatoHead wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 06:50
There is always negative pressure in the crankcase from the Dry Sump system.
This helps with piston ring sealing.
Further complicating things.
Lubricant also "...helps with with ring sealing."
& introduction to the rings may be from above ( by inlet) &/or below ( via a minimalist 'oil ring' - to also reduce friction).

As for "oil burning" - well, internal consumption - which does not spread/spray liquid lubricant out of the ICE, really is..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

The easiest thing would be to route the 'oily air' coming out of the centrifuge back into the intake. Unlike the crankcase this has slightly higher pressure than ambient. Or at least higher than the pressure at the turbo inlet.

Singabule
Singabule

Remember Giles Symond resignation because of different view of PU approach? Could it means that he also disappointed with management decision to drop Spec 4? Could it be illen and team give honda wrong suggestion? Hmmm, i believe him and wazari san is pretty disappointed.

restless
restless

IIRC, it was claimed that Simon wanted slower approach - eg not developing to last moment possible... altho it was his design which was chosen.

What makes me wonder:

- Wazari claims 3 variants were scaled to 6cyl on dyno... by then it was obvious the chosen variant has vibration problems (at least Honda claimed so - that 1cyl was fine, 6cyl had issues from the start). Then why was this variant chosen?! They tried to fix it for 6 months and failed ?!
But if 2nd variant had less issues from the start - why didn't they switch faster?!
Maybe due to different weight/distribution, the chassis would not work without major redesign?
So time was lost revamping that other engine to fit current chassis?

Either way. The responsibility lies on Honda management (as for size-zero concept)
The chassis maker may want fairy dust, the engine maker should know what is possible and what not... ( I guess thats why Wazari had said that some Honda management should quit... they "bended" too mcuh)