USF1 -- F1's All-American Challenger

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: USF1 -- F1's All-American Challenger

I was just about to post that first part of Windsor's statement, Richard.

Quite a remarkable comeback don't you think, all of a sudden Cosworth is the limiting parameter in USF1's progress?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

cooper-climax

They've really been having a go at Cosworth recently. Peter Windsor twice, in that last interview and the one he gave to Corsa? (the spanish one I posted a little while back).
There is also a "letter" from Bob Varsha floating around the forums. I can't find the original source for it so take it with a pinch of salt, but here's a copy.
I had dinner with Peter Windsor last weekend (Dec 12), and he said things are moving along on schedule. They are completing the jigs and molds, and finishing the first car, which gets written off in crash testing. Once the jigs are ready they can build cars at the rate of one every ten days or so, says Peter. The biggest problem they face right now is that things are apparently not going well at Cosworth in the UK. That is bad news for everyone, since Cosworth is building engines for at least four teams, including all three new ones plus Williams.

I'm certainly not the man to speak for the team, but let's remember that they're trying to compete in F1 on a very small budget. They don't have money or time to invest in fancy facilities and cosmetic attractions. In fact, the current building is an interim, until they get on their feet, when they plan to break ground on a purpose-built facility that will better suit the needs of both the team and the fans. According to Peter, they're all working 80-hour weeks, and will be for the forseeable future, even if all goes well. That doesn't leave much time for shmoozing fans and writing press releases. I'm not saying it's the right way to do this, but there are no instructions for starting an F1 team, and this is they way they chose to do it.

I know the team has been quiet, but that is deliberate. Like everything else they are doing, they have to prioritize. Instead of 100 engineers in the design office, they have 35. Rather than spend time on press releases, they are putting their heads down and getting on with the job, which is enormous when you consider that the first four races of next year are fly-away events, so they'll be working out of boxes rather than their transporters (which have been purchased). Here's what I can tell you: the drivers have basically been decided on, along with a group of young Americans who will be spread out across a development program starting in F2000 and working up to GP2. They also have additional sponsors, and all of this will be presented in a single announcement sometime after the first of the year.

We'll all have to be patient, and in the meantime, have a great holiday season.

BV

(My Emphasis)
Murray: "And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool."
James: "Well, that should put them out then."

Richard
Richard

cooper-climax wrote:They've really been having a go at Cosworth recently.
Curious. I'm not aware of the other teams making comments about delays with Cosworth, or have I missed something?

xpensive
xpensive

If you ask me Richard, this is just the latest of a long string of Windsor's xcuses. P**t.

cooper-climax

richard_leeds wrote:
cooper-climax wrote:They've really been having a go at Cosworth recently.
Curious. I'm not aware of the other teams making comments about delays with Cosworth, or have I missed something?
Other than a little bit of rumbling on the forums, and that was mostly about performance. The most worrying thing I've seen was that the News Of the World did a fluff piece on the 19th about a factory tour http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/v ... ctory.html
Murray: "And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool."

carnalsupply

I have to admit, my feeble attempt at humor was no doubt influenced by the series of USF1 vids I'd just watched on "Tube", but as a current team owner (part owner and sponsor of a USAC Pavement Sprint Car) I've learned to take my racing with all the fun and humor I can get, even if it's self-deprecating.

Granted, USF1 doesn't have a lot to show as of yet but I am still an ardent fan. If they show up at the first race with a trike I'd still be pulling for them: I can't help it, I like underdogs.

Richard
Richard

carnalsupply wrote:If they show up at the first race with a trike I'd still be pulling for them
Why? Do think they'll still be waiting for a Cosworth engine?

carnalsupply

Somewhere on the forum it was mentioned there's a fitment issue with the engine, but if my memory serves me correctly Cosworth were shopping their F1 program around two years (maybe more)ago so doesn't it stand to reason Cosworth would already have the design, layout, and mounting points in place?

If USF1 doesn't make the grid, and I certainly hope they do, I personally can't imagine the problem being down to the Cosworth.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Windsor isn't blaming Cosworth nor are they having any problems, read...
[url=http://www.f1technical.net/news/13924]USF1 and Campos reassure doubters of presence in Bahrain in March - F1Technical[/url] wrote:We're in good shape. Everything is going well and we are looking forward to the year," Windsor told the 'BBC', adding, "We've just finished the chassis and are now in the hands of Cosworth."
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

cooper-climax

mx_tifosi wrote:Windsor isn't blaming Cosworth nor are they having any problems, read...
[url=http://www.f1technical.net/news/13924]USF1 and Campos reassure doubters of presence in Bahrain in March - F1Technical[/url] wrote:We're in good shape. Everything is going well and we are looking forward to the year," Windsor told the 'BBC', adding, "We've just finished the chassis and are now in the hands of Cosworth."
When read in the context of the rest of USF1's recent comunications.

"Our car will be built when we say that Cosworth engine is ready and so we have no date, but hopefully it's before the first race in March. The virtual development is nearing completion and we are using the time to continue working on some elements, such as diffuser." (P. Windsor to ESPN Desportes on 10 Dec.)

"The biggest problem they face right now is that things are apparently not going well at Cosworth in the UK. That is bad news for everyone, since Cosworth is building engines for at least four teams, including all three new ones plus Williams." (Bob Varsha in a "letter" citing a conversation with Windsor on the 12 Dec.)

"We are now in the hands of Cosworth." Sounds like an attempt to shift responsibility onto a third party.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Good stuff, thanks.

I had forgotten about that. But it does sound like USF1 is using Cosworth as a scapegoat for being behind in development.

BTW, you messed up my quote in your post. [-X :mrgreen:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Richard
Richard

Pandamasque wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjjgS8AATd4[/youtube]
I love the way the computer inserts those odd gaps in the sentences. Especially....

Windsor - "I'd like to give you one"

:?

xpensive
xpensive

I cannot possibly see why Cosworth would have any issues with engine-deliveries, when they were elected "preferred supplier" by the FIA a year ago and the new teams were picked more than six months back.

The 18k Rpm CA2010 engine is obviously based on the 20k+ CA2006, which was one of the more powerful engines of the 2006 season. Moreover, Cosworth is not xactly rookies at supplying more than one team at a time, when they took on the entire CART-field some years back with rather short notice.

cooper-climax

BTW, you messed up my quote in your post. [-X :mrgreen:

I did too, sorry about that :oops:
It's been said before that I shouldn't use a computer un-supervised :roll:

dp35
dp35

This photo was posted on another forum and is rumored to be USF1's work.