Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

cplchanb wrote:
clipsy1H wrote:Nothing spectacular, it's a basic car from last year
Wow.....are you already dismissing them based off of launch spec and before testing has begun? Remember back in 2002 when Ferrari launched their car...looked rather plain with none of the winglets from in season and look how that performed.....

Imo I would wait until at least after Bahrain to start drawing conclusions on the car...
He's trolling. Ignore him. Lots of trolls out today it seems.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

GPR-A duplicate2

How the car would have looked, minus the extra length.

(Image courtesy: Gianlu D'Alessandro)
Last edited by GPR-A duplicate2 on 23 Feb 2017, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipM
PhillipM

SparkyAMG wrote:It's unlike Mercedes to hold back on studio images when launching their new cars, so I suspect that what we've seen so far is going to be quite different from what turns up throughout testing.

Like last year, I think we'll see a new nose introduced on the W08 towards the end of testing, as well as the rumoured 'shark fin' and changes to the front wing.
Well, the bargeboards in particular look like a mock-up item, I'd expect some 'real' ones to arrive at the first race - they look like they've quickly printed some cores and/or moulds for them as you can see the vertices on some of the flats from a rough low-poly model.

I'm not sure what to think on the rear rake/wing thing, I thought it was for testing originally, perhaps to check something they didn't want to show their hand with upstream, but then I noticed it's pretty well integrated with the engine cover...

Quantum

WaikeCU wrote:So can we officially say, Merc have invented the T-Fin? =D>
The Dol-fin?

I thank you :D
"Interplay of triads"

atlantis
atlantis

atlantis wrote:
bosyber wrote:https://twitter.com/f1talks/status/834755405171531776
... that is interesting too, hadn't noticed it yet.
Hot air chimney?
Oh, it's the pivot for the suspension :O

bucker
bucker

GPR-A wrote:How the car would have looked, minus the extra length.

(Image courtesy: Gianlu D'Alessandro)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5Wb68-WAAAlu-I.jpg
FIA please limit wheelbase dimesion. Short wheelbase car looks amazing!

michaelclarke

What's going on with the mirror? Is it just shrouded or is something more interesting going on?
“Keep learning, you’ll never know everything… Never think you’re the best, because you probably aren’t. And always strive to be the best; that is working hard and keep learning.” – Jensen Button.

GPR-A duplicate2

W09 be like....

wesley123
wesley123

PhillipM wrote: Well, the bargeboards in particular look like a mock-up item, I'd expect some 'real' ones to arrive at the first race - they look like they've quickly printed some cores and/or moulds for them as you can see the vertices on some of the flats from a rough low-poly model.
Those triangular edges were very common pre-2009
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

dren

michaelclarke wrote:http://i.imgur.com/5BMRvXh.jpg

What's going on with the mirror? Is it just shrouded or is something more interesting going on?
The mirror is recessed.
Honda!

Sevach
Sevach

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Thought about the T fin: isn't it just a way of showing where the old rear wing was? That could be why it's on the shakedown/film car - they're doing something to show how the car has changed with new regs.

I doubt it's so simple as that, though, as this is F1...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Mangalhit

Good point, that seems to be where the leading edge of the old wing was. Maybe they use it to have reference points for some sort of video editing overlaying both?

Seems strange they would show their hand so early on especially since they didn't seem to be measuring any aero data there. but who knows

PhillipM
PhillipM

wesley123 wrote:
PhillipM wrote: Well, the bargeboards in particular look like a mock-up item, I'd expect some 'real' ones to arrive at the first race - they look like they've quickly printed some cores and/or moulds for them as you can see the vertices on some of the flats from a rough low-poly model.
Those triangular edges were very common pre-2009
I'm not talking about the edges, you can see the modelling artifacts on the flats.

SectorOne

So just to be clear, this is a launch spec aeropackage...
We´ll have spaceships at the end of these aero-regs.

Front suspension i have no idea whats going on there, all i know is i have never seen anything like it.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"