Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
lio007

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

carisi2k wrote:Didn't Red Bull put a new engine in the cars this weekend?
Yes, RIC got a whole new PU.
But when the update is on the injection-system he propably doesn't need a new ICE. (Like the Bahrain-udate)

ReoPTy
ReoPTy

hardingfv32 wrote:Renault lack of coin usage. Does that indicate they are working on an engine that does not fit in the current cars?

Brian
the PU shape will not be the same for 2017, it is beleived renault should slip turbo aka mercedes , so less space and new design of PU bed !

yener

How many tokens would it cost/take if they go like the Mercedes turbo solution? Are they allowed to make such a big change?

I just can't believe that it takes 3 years to build an engine like Mercedes did. Even Ferrari's engine lacks power compared with the Merc's engine.

Why are they not "investing" some money on a Renault Road car with this technology, test a lot, sort out the problems and put all the experience in their F1 engine?

Am i missing something?
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

lio007

yener wrote:How many tokens would it cost/take if they go like the Mercedes turbo solution? Are they allowed to make such a big change?

I just can't believe that it takes 3 years to build an engine like Mercedes did. Even Ferrari's engine lacks power compared with the Merc's engine.

Why are they not "investing" some money on a Renault Road car with this technology, test a lot, sort out the problems and put all the experience in their F1 engine?

Am i missing something?
Token aren't a problem any more in 2017. So they don't have to take them into consideration for their new PU with whatever layout they want.

And it also took Merc 3 years to build this PU and they could use all the ressources and knowledge from the Daimler company, even from the truck division.

From my POV it's not necessary to put a F1-PU into a roadcar to get test time.
Renault can use RB's Full-chassis-dyno.

yener

I see. I didn't know that we were getting rid of the token system... Let's see how that will work out.
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

ReoPTy
ReoPTy

well, it's been leaked Renault would use a different Pu split turbo than mercedes , allowing more compact space and CoG arrangement

hurril
hurril

ReoPTy wrote:well, it's been leaked Renault would use a different Pu split turbo than mercedes , allowing more compact space and CoG arrangement
Has it really though? The only thing I've heard about that is that they'd base their 2017-car on the 2015 one. The reason for that is speculated to be the fact that the engine bay would be more conducive to such a layout on the basis that it used to house a Macca unit.

Is there any substance to this though?

Jolle
Jolle

hurril wrote:
ReoPTy wrote:well, it's been leaked Renault would use a different Pu split turbo than mercedes , allowing more compact space and CoG arrangement
Has it really though? The only thing I've heard about that is that they'd base their 2017-car on the 2015 one. The reason for that is speculated to be the fact that the engine bay would be more conducive to such a layout on the basis that it used to house a Macca unit.

They are racing the 2015 car now... :P I read that article too, it was a weird one.

But for the Renault PU, I think we can expect a major overhaul of them, from everybody actually....

ReoPTy
ReoPTy

hurril wrote:

by some french pundits close to viry, the 2017 engine was put on the dynos this august , seems promising, but we'll wait official statements on it!

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Mercedes will be very hard to beat, since they are also improving. In 2015 Merc and Ferrari were almost the same, the last race Ferrari was faster then the first race Merc. Somehow in the back of the Torro Rosso, that same 2015 Ferrari is now the slowest on track.

So 2016 Honda/Renault > 2015 Ferrari > 2014 Mercedes

but 2016 Mercedes > 2016 Ferrari > 2016 Renault/Honda

lio007

To make things easy they use tokens (because they have fair enough left :wink: ):

http://en.f1i.com/news/70704-no-revolut ... mance.html

carisi2k

lio007 wrote:To make things easy they use tokens (because they have fair enough left :wink: ):

Watching how easy it was for Hamilton to pass Daniel on the front straight before Daniel braked late and then complete the pass at the start of curve grande while on the hard tyre suggests that the Renault is still significantly down on power. Not quite as bad as 2015 but still Renault have got a long way to go to reach Mercedes for performance.

TzeiTzei
TzeiTzei

carisi2k wrote:
lio007 wrote:To make things easy they use tokens (because they have fair enough left :wink: ):

Watching how easy it was for Hamilton to pass Daniel on the front straight before Daniel braked late and then complete the pass at the start of curve grande while on the hard tyre suggests that the Renault is still significantly down on power. Not quite as bad as 2015 but still Renault have got a long way to go to reach Mercedes for performance.
On the front straight Hamilton had DRS, didn't he? The pass at Curva Grande though, no doubt about pure power advantage.

FW17

It may be with the MGU-K map

Merc uses the MGU-K to get a good exit out of the corners uses the battery, self sustain mode takes care for rest of the straight

Renault uses it to bridge the gap in the top speed so uses both battery and self sustain on the straight, not much left in the battery for the drive out of all corners

ME4ME

FW17 wrote:It may be with the MGU-K map

Merc uses the MGU-K to get a good exit out of the corners uses the battery, self sustain mode takes care for rest of the straight

Renault uses it to bridge the gap in the top speed so uses both battery and self sustain on the straight, not much left in the battery for the drive out of all corners
Do you have any data, article or quote to back that up at all, or is it mere your suspicion?