Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

I wonder why they don´t do their flow maps on the radiator core ...or maybe they do.
still the question is in the air to which extend you are modifying the flow field with these elaborate devices.. of course you could quntify this by sticking it to the car in the windtunnel....but.

ringo

myurr wrote: Yeah just ignore him - he's nothing but a Red Bull fan boy slagging off the opposition. Even Red Bull have commented that McLaren and Ferrari look quick.

In his 'detailed' reply to me he also conveniently skipped over the bit that gave the logical reason for McLaren's programme that he then said I hadn't provided :P

McLaren are a championship winning team with a proven track record. Last season they started with a dog of a car, but through an intensive development program they improved their car more than any other team on the grid, ultimately making it into a race winning car. Throughout that development process they will have learnt a lot and made adjustments to their procedures. I believe that all this aero testing is simply evidence that they have learned their lessons from last year.

Regardless of whether their car runs at the front, middle, or back of the grid, collecting all this data is only going to help with developing their car further. They will be constantly improving their understanding but just as importantly their tools and simulations. With such limited testing and another aero shake up for next year, this could well prove decisive over a long season.

If McLaren do well this year, expect other teams to copy their approach.
Well said; Allah help the other teams if Mclaren is truly a front runner and the team hasn't even looked at the data as yet!! May the blessings of Anubis be upon them!! [-o<
They're gonna need it :wink:

Mclaren really want the constructors this year, overkill leaves nothing to chance.
For Sure!!

horse

Restriction is back in the secondary airbox channel here. They're definitely playing around with this and, at the moment, it appears to have two modes of operation.

Could they be worried about it taking on water???
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

f1rules
f1rules

Theres been much talk about stalling, dead zone etc. The reason they block the hole in todays practice. Could it be that. When its wet they want keep the downforce for stability, as opposed to when its dry where the mechanical grip helps. :?:
On the other hand i dont think they will reach the speeds, where it will make a big difference.

PlatinumZealot

Maybe they are just testing the effectiveness of the hole at different flow rates? Whether its drag, temperature or the effect of the speculated channel in the shark fin.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

They may be playing with the hole that feeds the rear wing bleed hole via that port that reminds me of "Aliens".

astracrazy
astracrazy

Hamiltons on it this morning, .9 ahead. Fuel loads are unknown

segedunum
segedunum

vasia wrote:Do you work for McLaren? Do you explicitly know what McLaren is or isn't doing right now during testing?
:lol: Pffffffff. No I don't work for McLaren. Do you work for McLaren? Can you add anything to the discussion beyond "I don't like what you've said?"

I'm afraid trying to make a point that someone doesn't work for McLaren doesn't stop them from wondering, and asking, what it is they're actually doing and why they're doing it at such a late stage. All we've got so far is defensive posturing. Interesting.

segedunum
segedunum

thestig84 wrote:Well said. Glad Im not the only one getting sick of hearing all those unfounded opinions made out to be fact.
[-X They're not opinions (I've offered no opinions on what McLaren are doing or even that they might be in trouble) and I've not made them out to be facts because I haven't made any. I'm simply wondering out loud what McLaren are doing and why they might be conducting what looks like a R and D project at such a late stage. People don't like it.

Giblet
Giblet

Pandamasque wrote:Image

move on... nothing to see here. It's planned normal testing.
=D> :lol:

The rectal thermometer is funny as heck, thanks.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

segedunum
segedunum

myurr wrote:In his 'detailed' reply to me he also conveniently skipped over the bit that gave the logical reason for McLaren's programme that he then said I hadn't provided :P
:P Which was what, exactly, beyond "It's all normal"? Acquiring terabytes of data at this late stage of testing when there are other things to concentrate on is rather overkill. The car is built and certainly hasn't gone as fast as it can go yet. Comparisons with their CFD and wind tunnel data is one thing so any improvements they make from one to the other will be relevant, but one is entitled to question what they're doing now. They're going to have to analyse that data and then act on it by manufacturing actionable new parts etc., which will take weeks if not months, by which time the whole window of data that they are operating with will have moved completely and will be heavily influence by the performance of other teams.

McLaren won't be the first organisation, or the last, to get bitten by the data overload bug because they think it gives them a warm and comfortable feeling. It also gives the legions of people in front of workstations in the back something to do I guess.
McLaren are a championship winning team with a proven track record.
De ja vu? I pointed out McLaren's 'championship winning record', over the last decade no less, which you don't dispute at all.........and you then tell us all over again that McLaren are a proven championship winning team because you feel that tells us that everything is OK and McLaren know what they're doing with the point under discussion. I fail to see the logic in that. It's 'proof' by association.
Last season they started with a dog of a car, but through an intensive development program they improved their car more than any other team on the grid, ultimately making it into a race winning car.
I fail to see what relevance that has here. Yes, they started with a dog of a car because that was their fault. You're the one playing on McLaren's track record here, so................. It's a major stretch to suggest that the improvements they made were down to acquiring a ton of data pre-season. Put simply, McLaren couldn't afford to be where they were, they got parts on to the car and KERS certainly masked quite a bit.

I love the 'intensive test program' and 'innovative test equipment' comments by the way. Loving the corporate speak. :lol:
Throughout that development process they will have learnt a lot and made adjustments to their procedures. I believe that all this aero testing is simply evidence that they have learned their lessons from last year.
I can certainly understand the logic of that as I've said before, but not at this late stage and especially not if they know the car is behaving as they want. You then concentrate on getting the speed out of the car, which is what testing now is all about, because only then can any data you collect actually be relevant.
If McLaren do well this year, expect other teams to copy their approach.
I don't doubt that many teams will start gathering more data to compare against what they think they should be getting on track, but that's exactly what it will be for. I don't think you're going to see many teams collecting data for the sake of it because a lot of teams are clever enough to know that when you collect data you have to analyse it for something useful, turn it into something you can change and even then you won't be able to change the central philosophy with which the car is built.

Data collection, acquisition and analysis is no substitute for thinking ahead and no solution for not doing that. :wink:

Giblet
Giblet

Mclaren are the best developers of a car out there, have proved it time and time again, and as recently as last year, and to me deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Putting a grid of sensors in an intake is not thought up on the spot, that is a carefully planned action. It might just be to correlate tunnel data about the intakes to the real world.

I see what you mean that it looks like last minute thinking, but each and every team needs to maximize their development and testing time, and few are as good at it as Mclaren have proven to be in the past.

Oh and they did it with no in season testing at all. Quite an accomplishment for any kind of HPE task.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

horse

I think you can also see the execution of the current testing plan in the design of the car. McLaren have some very new parts which they would like to gain a lot of data regarding their operation very quickly. These include the diffuser and possible rear wing mods (hence the flow viz) and the undernose splitter (hence the sidepod sensors). As far as I'm aware, non of these areas have been altered much (unlike last year where the took the whole rear wing off), so I assume they are working as expected and can now be tuned. That's my take on it anyway.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Roger the knife

Finally shown their colours 1m19.583s

horse

EDIT2: I write something stupid.

EDIT3: Seems like it was the final of a three lap run:
autosport wrote:15:50 Di Grassi and Hamilton are also out for some late laps.

15:52 Hamilton is the man on the move as he sets the best time of the day - 1m19.952s

15:54 Hamilton improves to a 1m19.684s. He's fastest of the whole test now.

15:55 There's even more on the next lap from Hamilton as a 1m19.583s extends his advantage at the top.
Last edited by horse on 13 Feb 2010, 18:23, edited 2 times in total.