Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Re: Ferrari F138

Mr.G wrote:
Hi I have few questions due to the first wideo

in 01:20 what is he doing with the left hand?
and in 01:40 is he correcting his car or is he sandbagging? His is going almost straight and then he twist the wheel.
at 01:40 he is working the tyres, not sure if it is to get more heat or just scrub them a bit more

Mr.G

OK, but such thing cost you some time from the lap and you don't do it when you on Q lap. (Just wondering).
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Kalsi
Kalsi

Mr.G wrote:
Hi I have few questions due to the first wideo

in 01:20 what is he doing with the left hand?
and in 01:40 is he correcting his car or is he sandbagging? His is going almost straight and then he twist the wheel.
at 1:20 i think is just a regulation of the brakes F/R
at 1:40 he is trying to keep both tyres and brakes in the temperature range..
Anyway looking at how Alonso is behaving in that installation lap, to me it's like they are testing and shaking down some brakes solutions and suspensions setups...

Pandabeer
Pandabeer

Mr.G wrote:OK, but such thing cost you some time from the lap and you don't do it when you on Q lap. (Just wondering).
It's no Q lap. He was not pushing in that lap. So, as the other people already said: He just kept his tyres in temp. range.

mkelly
mkelly

Just a quick question, as I am no expert here. Why would they keep opening/closing the opening (shark mouth) under the nose if it is just there for driver/KERS cooling reasons? :?:

steh2o
steh2o

Hello,
I'm a novice here so excuse me if the question has been answered before: what is the carbon-fibre rod exiting the sidepods from the longer cooling exhaust seen in the free practice?
Thanks!

Redragon

Another technical question,
Does any one knows if the shark mouth/hole was opened on Massa's car?
On his engine cover and exhauts solution has the little hole introduced on latest exhauts at barcelona opened.
And I was wondering if the shark mouth/hole has something to do with the little holes around the exhauts?
Might sound crazy but sometimes ignorance can open eyer to the experts.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

steh2o wrote:Hello,
I'm a novice here so excuse me if the question has been answered before: what is the carbon-fibre rod exiting the sidepods from the longer cooling exhaust seen in the free practice?
Thanks!
The arms on the top & bottom that look to form a triangle are the suspension arms & the rod that goes through them is the pull rod itself.

steh2o
steh2o

Ok thanks, I did realize later that it was the pull rod, and it is attached below the cooling duct

F1.Ru

Redragon wrote:
Redragon wrote:Another technical question,
Does any one knows if the shark mouth/hole was opened on Massa's car?
On his engine cover and exhauts solution has the little hole introduced on latest exhauts at barcelona opened.
And I was wondering if the shark mouth/hole has something to do with the little holes around the exhauts?
Might sound crazy but sometimes ignorance can open the eye of an experts.
What i spot from the practices is that Alonso and Massa are using different engine cover, where most of the time Alonso is using new engine cover where as Massa is using the old [barca spec] engine cover.

I think they are evaluating the both spec and comparing their performance. we will definitely see the version they will use in the race in 3rd practices and quali. But like last year they can choose to use different configuration in the quali and race. :?
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

amouzouris

After watching some vids, I found out that the cars weren't off throttle blowing for the whole day... In some videos it is very distinctive, while in others they are not. The sound is very apparent on downshifting.

I want to ask Rob if I'm right. So Rob, did the car sound like they were off throttle blowing for the whole day or just some cases?

Forza

F1 Australian GP - Friday FP - 15/3/2013

Nando
Nando

New brakes again from Brembo?

I remember last year they introduced the "thousand-hole disc" or however many holes it was.
Now i can see the holes are more small rectangles. This is new for this year right?
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

The disc compound can be the same but the hole pattern can be infinitely different. So the hole patterns can change at every single circuit depending on the cooling needs, but it's nothing new. And adding to that, they can try different patterns throughout the day as they're setting up the car. It's as if they're setting up the suspension or something along those lines.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

jonaliew
jonaliew

There might be new parts for FP3. There were delivery boxes for the ferrari flying in last night before I left. Not to mention the rest of the teams got in stuff as well.