2014 Engines: Do they sound right?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Agerasia
Agerasia

Re: 2014 Engines: Do they sound right?

Go and watch all the 90's era engines then come back and listen to these castrated turbocharged hairdryers.
"badically pressuring rosnerg " Ringo 05/10/2014

munudeges
munudeges

The fact that Autosport amongst others have been frantically pumping out articles saying "They don't sound that bad" means that they do sound that bad. This is a turbo engine under no stress whatsoever.

SectorOne

munudeges wrote:The fact that Autosport amongst others have been frantically pumping out articles saying "They don't sound that bad" means that they do sound that bad.
That makes no sense. Do you base your subjectivity on what other people write?
Does news magazines really determine the collective thought process regarding the sound of new F1 engines?

And when V8´s came did they do a reverse and said they sounded like crap because they liked them?
I could probably write an A4 paper on your sentece alone.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

munudeges
munudeges

SectorOne wrote:That makes no sense. Do you base your subjectivity on what other people write?
When I see a handful of comments from people saying something, and they move on and leave it at that, then that's something. When I see a torrent of articles and comments, one after the other, telling us that they don't sound bad then that's overkill for a reason - and they simply do sound that bad. They're vacuum cleaners.

rscsr

munudeges wrote:
SectorOne wrote:That makes no sense. Do you base your subjectivity on what other people write?
Of course it makes sense you idiot.

When I see a handful of comments from people saying something, and they move on and leave it at that, then that's something. When I see a torrent of articles and comments, one after the other, telling us that they don't sound bad then that's overkill for a reason - and they simply do sound that bad. They're vacuum cleaners.
And when V8´s came did they do a reverse and said they sounded like crap because they liked them?
What are you talking about you twit?
I could probably write an A4 paper on your sentece alone.
Full of meaningless tripe, as per usual.
I like how the V6 engines sound. So they can't sound bad per se as at least one person likes it.

rich1701
rich1701

I like the sound of the deep throatier turbo v6. I think it's the single wide exhaust exit that gives it this tone. I think with two traditional small exhaust exists it will sound significantly worse. The only problem seems to be volume. It simply isn't loud enough is it?

personally I hated the tortured squeal of the v8s and on the tv at least the v6s will probably sound better. The v10s just blew me away though and I dearly miss them.

neilbah
neilbah

im on the No list then. F1 sounded right when there was diversity. When they pushed the limits of revs and and the materials. I also agree that development was costing manufacturers a lot and its not good for their image when they go pop on tv but it was more of a spectacle and awe inspiring. I dont think forcing the development of a whole new type of engine saved any money. I am at lest happy there will be a fourth engine manufacturer next year.

hollus

In the live testing ticker in AMUS, they quote Gerhard Berger saying that he likes the sound ("Geil") and that it reminds him of his own turbo days "Erinnert mich an meine eigenen Turbotage". A complete interview should come out later today.
I guess the answer to whether the sound is right will depend strongly on whether the person started watching F1 before or after 1988.
Rivals, not enemies.

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

To me all three engines sound distinctly different to each other. I like the Ferrari better as there's a more exotic scream at the top of the rev range.

The combination of several noises these cars are producing is quite interesting and suspect as they develop the control systems over the year that will significantly change. Overall I'll miss the N/A induction noise more than the exhaust noise. Probably why a BMW M3 CSL is my favourite road car.

theWPTformula

Maybe it's because I'm from another generation (and probably younger than most on this forum) but I quite like the sound. Unfortunately I was not around the last time turbos were in F1 but I really like the deeper tone and the various other noises that come from the turbo itself and ERS devices.

If it was louder I don't think anybody would really be complaining to be honest. Just my opinion...

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

Alexgtt wrote:To me all three engines sound distinctly different to each other. I like the Ferrari better as there's a more exotic scream at the top of the rev range.

The combination of several noises these cars are producing is quite interesting and suspect as they develop the control systems over the year that will significantly change. Overall I'll miss the N/A induction noise more than the exhaust noise. Probably why a BMW M3 CSL is my favourite road car.
They do sound slightly different, but they are so dull sounding.

Kiril Varbanov

Jordan from Wired think they have charm - http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/2014-f1-sound/
So do I. But that doesn't come from the "Can you hear the sound of the inevitable, Mr. Anderson?" but from the fact that this is the future. The right future, IMHO.

bhall
bhall

My problem with the sound of the new engines is not that there's something inherently wrong with it; it's that I can already hear a very close approximation of that sound from both other racecars and cars in the real world. There's nothing unique about it.

The high-rev wail of previous F1 engines, on the other hand, was an island unto itself. It made everything short of a Top Fuel dragster or the Space Shuttle sound weak and timid in comparison.

munudeges
munudeges

So, despite the best efforts of Autosport and the Formula 1 fraternity to tell us otherwise everyone has turned up to Australia to realise that the cars do indeed sound.....---.

Unstressed vacuum cleaners.