Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
astracrazy
astracrazy

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

Helios wrote:@ astracrazy

Let's hope Nicole won't ruin his form and focus. Hate that chick.
its strange because originally he performed better when she was at the race weekends (in fact most times won).

Harsha
Harsha

Helios wrote:@ astracrazy

Let's hope Nicole won't ruin his form and focus. Hate that chick.
Ah Dont remember that any one It just S**k's

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

NewtonMeter wrote:
rowano wrote:With Lewis being faster than nico and also nico using more fuel (from the new fuel graphic on the tv coverage) I wondered in maybe nico had issues with energy recovery not working as efficiently as Lewis?
From what I gather, Nico just struggled a bit more with the tyres than Lewis. Presumably this is setup related. I guess the extra fuel flow is due to consequently trying extra hard to get a way from Vettel.

So in effect, he tried to make up for lack of tyres with more power. But it's my theory based on gut feel.
I'm thinking the same. Nico will be back and it was probaly more related to setup.
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

gray41

So does Lewis keep the trophy or will Lowe be taking it back to base?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Ferraripilot

I believe MB are very much controlling the number of updates they are bringing to each race. There is no sense in them running every single upgrade they have at every race as they're not controlling the target for teams such as Red Bull to go after. This way, Red Bull will not specifically know exactly how capable Mercedes are at every race, and as long as Merc are winning by a healthy margin there is no reason for them to show their full hand. I believe this is much of a reason they aren't running their newer front wing and new nose which may or may not have passed it's frontal impact test now....

dans79

Ferraripilot wrote:I believe MB are very much controlling the number of updates they are bringing to each race. There is no sense in them running every single upgrade they have at every race as they're not controlling the target for teams such as Red Bull to go after. This way, Red Bull will not specifically know exactly how capable Mercedes are at every race, and as long as Merc are winning by a healthy margin there is no reason for them to show their full hand. I believe this is much of a reason they aren't running their newer front wing and new nose which may or may not have passed it's frontal impact test now....
pretty much how I see it as well, though I think we haven't seen the new nose (in practice at-least), because it hasn't passed the crash tests. I do think the bat wing upgrades we are seeing are preparatory updates for the new nose though.
197 104 103 7

Phillyred
Phillyred

I suppose I can see the logic in Mercedes not "showing their hand," but it would be quite risky to "sand bag" since every point is so precious and we see how later on in the season it's a mad dash to the finish when we all look back and seeing where points were lost etc.

dans79

Phillyred wrote:I suppose I can see the logic in Mercedes not "showing their hand," but it would be quite risky to "sand bag" since every point is so precious and we see how later on in the season it's a mad dash to the finish when we all look back and seeing where points were lost etc.
Right now, they appear to have over a second a lap in both qualifying & race trim. Based on the fact that Lewis turned the engine down for roughly half the race, I don't think they are even running at 100% of what they are currently capable of. The main benefit of not upgrading is your competition doesn't have a target to shoot for, or have any concepts they can copy to catch up. They are testing new parts though, as both Lewis & Nico tested the new front wing in Sepang.
197 104 103 7

myurr
myurr

Phillyred wrote:I suppose I can see the logic in Mercedes not "showing their hand," but it would be quite risky to "sand bag" since every point is so precious and we see how later on in the season it's a mad dash to the finish when we all look back and seeing where points were lost etc.
Completely agree. I can understand them not pushing the engine to maximum but at least having the option there if they need it, but on aero they'll be throwing everything at the car to test whether or not it works. They've had a steady stream of updates so far and I'm sure that will continue no matter how large or small their advantage, as it will all carry over into next years cars.

Ferraripilot

Toto mentioned something very curious yesterday in him stating they weren't sure if they were bringing particular upgrades to Bahrain or not. I suspect there are one of a couple reasons, either they indeed feel no need to show their absolutely capabilities at the moment, or whatever they're hiding is too easily duplicated so it's best to remain hidden. Small items such as the slotted bat wing or chimneys at the center of the diffuser gurney may very well be seen regularly, but the 'truckload' of upgrades as Red Bull shipped to Malaysia is not something I'm expecting out of Mercedes.

markn93

Ferraripilot wrote:Toto mentioned something very curious yesterday in him stating they weren't sure if they were bringing particular upgrades to Bahrain or not. I suspect there are one of a couple reasons, either they indeed feel no need to show their absolutely capabilities at the moment, or whatever they're hiding is too easily duplicated so it's best to remain hidden. Small items such as the slotted bat wing or chimneys at the center of the diffuser gurney may very well be seen regularly, but the 'truckload' of upgrades as Red Bull shipped to Malaysia is not something I'm expecting out of Mercedes.
Or they're subject to a crash test scheduled this week.

Ferraripilot

beelsebob wrote:There's absolutely no reason to not bring updates in order to "hide" them. If you do that, all that's going to happen is that you bring them in 5 races time when you do need them and then discover that they don't actually work.

Teams need to test new parts.

It's clear to me that the only reason you wouldn't bring parts is because you can't.

I agree testing them is very important, that's what FP1 is for, but if MB have found their wind tunnel to track correspondance is above 90% then I would only apply parts sparingly, enough to maintain the large gap they currently hold.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Ferraripilot wrote:
beelsebob wrote:There's absolutely no reason to not bring updates in order to "hide" them. If you do that, all that's going to happen is that you bring them in 5 races time when you do need them and then discover that they don't actually work.

Teams need to test new parts.

It's clear to me that the only reason you wouldn't bring parts is because you can't.

I agree testing them is very important, that's what FP1 is for, but if MB have found their wind tunnel to track correspondance is above 90% then I would only apply parts sparingly, enough to maintain the large gap they currently hold.
Why on earth would you do that? If you put better aero parts on the car, you can turn the engine down even more. There's no reason at all to not get the aero parts slapped on as quick as you can.

gray41

The W05 is testing straight after the GP this weekend, Lewis or Nico in the car?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

elf341
elf341

The trick is probably adding the upgrade, but not showing the additional speed from it.
Presumably, if an upgrade sheds drag, they can turn their engine down correspondingly, potentially helping the longevity of the engine.

There's clearly a golden feedback loop when you're the fastest: you only do one qualifying run, so you have better race tires; you speed off into the distance and run in clean air, etc..