Nose cone idea

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
manchild
manchild

Re: Nose cone idea

ben_watkins wrote:The ferrari is going to test a hole in the nose between the Fiat and Matini logos - as detailed here..

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65025

It will, according to Honda's Geoff Willis "..probably...use the central part of the front wing in a better way. You see, the way they're designed, the wings generate an area of very high pressure at that point. If you have an opening on the nose you can alleviate that pressure by letting the air get off upwards."

:idea:
Woohoo!

It means that it's like my design and that illustration of AS is silly since it still relies on cooling inlet at the tip of the nose! So it is a hollow nose, from bottom upwards at certain angle, fed by air from wing's upwash! \:D/

bar555
bar555

Manchild the fortuneteller 'Nostradamus'

Looking forward for a technical illustration of this ferrari nose cone hole .
I hope Scarbs could post one ...... ( am i asking too much ? )
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

shawness
shawness

From what I can see, the Ferrari concept being mentioned by Autosport is different to what has been bandied about in this thread so far. As Geoff Willis suggested, rather than downforce being generated by the vent itself, they'd be using the vent to bleed off some of the air deflected by the wing that normally creates a spot of high pressure under the nose. This would extend the area of useful low pressure under the nose forward slightly, marginally increasing downforce.

PNSD
PNSD

So exactly the same concept as the FW26 ? Remember that quote posted here by Patrick Head?

manchild
manchild

shawness wrote:rather than downforce being generated by the vent itself, they'd be using the vent to bleed off some of the air deflected by the wing that normally creates a spot of high pressure under the nose.
If they lower the pressure by letting it expand upwards than it is nothing but downforce generating (relative to same car with conventional nose).
PNSD wrote:So exactly the same concept as the FW26 ? Remember that quote posted here by Patrick Head?
Yes and it also means that Antonia Terzi made a good improvement of that design, so it was not the Williams aero that sucked but BMW engine.

modbaraban
modbaraban

manchild wrote:
PNSD wrote:So exactly the same concept as the FW26 ? Remember that quote posted here by Patrick Head?
Yes and it also means that Antonia Terzi made a good improvement of that design, so it was not the Williams aero that sucked but BMW engine.
Why then they got rid of it in mid season then? Both driver complained about apredictable behaviour of the front end, esp. at crosswinds. Maybe the idea is good indeed, but the implementation was clearly flawed in that case.

shawness
shawness

manchild wrote:If they lower the pressure by letting it expand upwards than it is nothing but downforce generating (relative to same car with conventional nose).
Yes, but it's fundamentally different to your original concept. I'm still not entirely convinced how much impact it'll have, but F1 aero these days is all about marginal improvement.
manchild wrote: Yes and it also means that Antonia Terzi made a good improvement of that design, so it was not the Williams aero that sucked but BMW engine.
The Walrus Nose was Antonia Terzi's pet concept, but Ferrari didn't believe it would work and so wouldn't run it. Williams did when she moved there, but it was so disastrous to performance they dropped both the nose and Terzi. After they redesigned the nose mid-season the car's performance picked up noticeably, to the point where they even picked up a win at the end of the season.

As I recall, the failure of her concept was such a blow to Terzi's credibility that she dropped out of motorsport and works in academia now.
Last edited by shawness on 08 Feb 2008, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.

manchild
manchild

shawness wrote:Yes, but it's fundamentally different to your original concept. I'm still not entirely convinced how much impact it'll have, but F1 aero these days is all about marginal improvement.
Fundamentally different? If it has a hole in the nose from bottom to top and air flowing in same direction where's the fundamental difference? Let's wait and see till it they present it to the world. :wink:

mini696

http://www.f1-forum.fi/vb/showpost.php? ... tcount=195

Not sure if this is in the thread somewhere.
Supporting:
Mark "It happens" Webber
McLaren

PNSD
PNSD

yeah, they are manchilds photoshops.

Metar

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but a '70s Lotus F2 car (here driven by Rindt) had something which looks quite similar to the concept:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... otusF2.jpg

jaho101

Metar wrote:I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but a '70s Lotus F2 car (here driven by Rindt) had something which looks quite similar to the concept:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... otusF2.jpg
I think its been discussed before, and the problem with that car was severe aerodynamic instability when the ride height changed. I think that's one of the major dangers of running such ground effects type deals. However, current F1 cars are a lot stiffer, so maybe they can compensate.

manchild
manchild

No that's completely different thing. That car had a radiator in that place. No aero gain.

RH1300S
RH1300S

manchild wrote:No that's completely different thing. That car had a radiator in that place. No aero gain.
Different thing - but not that different ;)

The air would move from a high pressure area ahead of the radiator to a low pressure area behind it. So, if there was lower pressure on top of the nose causing some lift, this solution will reduce that and at the same time encourage air through the rad..........

manchild
manchild

I still don't think it would be of any benefit since radiator can't let trough same amount of air that hits it. So you'd get higher pressure below the nose causing lift UNLESS the inlet is calculated to match sum of apertures on radiator grill (which was never done). :)