Ferrari F2013 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Hail22

Re: Ferrari F2013 (pre-launch speculation)

stefan_ wrote:According to good sources (F1 Zone, Jon Noble, ESPN F1) Ferrari will launch their 2013 challenger on Friday 1st February at Maranello. And it seems like Pedro de la Rosa joined Ferrari as a development driver.
Confirmed:

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 14193.html

Now considering all the new faces in differing roles etc, perhaps Ferrari's in Season development shall be more "competitive/reliable" in terms of correlating the data correctly from WT to track.

I'm very keen to see whether or not they will retain the current radiator layout...however I rather much doubt it (personal opinion).
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

Hail22 wrote:I'm very keen to see whether or not they will retain the current radiator layout...however I rather much doubt it (personal opinion).
Domenicalli did an interview today at Wroom today. Here is an extract:

"It is clear that with continuity in the regulations, you cannot make any incredible changes from an aesthetic point of view,"

"We will focus attention on trying to maximise the exhaust effect within the regulations, because that is where you can get some additional performance."

To me, this implies the radiator layout will remain the same.

dren

Gerhard Berger wrote:To me, this implies the radiator layout will remain the same.
That's how I read it too.
Honda!

Gridlock

From Wroom, via Joe Saward:

Domenicali:
We have some interesting changes in areas where we were not efficient in the past, in particular the aerodynamic effects of the exhaust.

Sevach
Sevach

dren wrote:
Gerhard Berger wrote:To me, this implies the radiator layout will remain the same.
That's how I read it too.
That doesn't tell me anything about the radiator layout honestly, aesthetically it makes the coke bottle a little different, but that isn't something that would make casuals say "this is "incredibly" different".

Ramped exhausts, a low nose, a "Williams" gearbox or one of those bladed airboxes are much more likely to catch peoples eyes than a change to the coke bottle area.

That said, will they change? I don't know, vertical does have it's advantages... perhaps they just try to make it a little less boxy in terms of frontal area.

Hail22

Hopefully more sources will "confirm" this further about a possible tweak to the Front pull rod suspension layout:

http://www.f1sa.com/index.php?option=co ... Itemid=157
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

mep

You can be quite sure they will use pull rod on the front. For 2014 many teams will consider pull rod due to the changes in regulations. Some might already switch to it for 2012, however it is more likely that most teams stick with their current design. For 2012 pull rod does not give a real advantage aero wise and creates disadvantages for the kinematics. This will look different with the lower noses in 2014.

FrukostScones

full Fry inreview regarding 2012 car and 2013 mods by automotorundsport.de:

http://translate.google.de/translate?sl ... ml&act=url
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=179965

Here for the translation

EDIT : This interview is very great. Not only for the F2012 or F2013, but for others car aswell. It's a shame we can't read these kind of interview more often.

timbo
timbo

Lorenzo_Bandini wrote: This interview is very great. Not only for the F2012 or F2013, but for others car aswell. It's a shame we can't read these kind of interview more often.
Agreed. Really good and we don't have those that often. Thanks for the link!

shelly
shelly

Fry in the interview suggests there will be an evolution of the fornt pullrod. Could that impy some visual changes (e.g., bulges - like double keels of early 2000s - on the lower outer edges of the chassis to widen the tunnel between the nose turning vanes?)
twitter: @armchair_aero

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

Would you have liked to change something fundamental on the car during the season, but couldn't due to time constraints?

Fry: Not really. The things we wanted to change, we changed. The fundamentals of the car were ok. After we had fixed the aero problems, the car behaved the way we expected. Not fantastic, but ok. There was nothing that stood in our way. Ok, we had problems on some tracks to get the weight distribution the way we wanted it, but everyone had that particular problem. But that was only a small compromise.
Is this another indicator that radiator layout won't change for this year?

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Gerhard Berger wrote:
Is this another indicator that radiator layout won't change for this year?
Sounds like it to me. So either Ferrari are missing the boat or they know better than Anderson and some of the other analyst.

Holm86

shelly wrote:Fry in the interview suggests there will be an evolution of the fornt pullrod. Could that impy some visual changes (e.g., bulges - like double keels of early 2000s - on the lower outer edges of the chassis to widen the tunnel between the nose turning vanes?)
It means they are running a low nose like McLaren did last year ;-) :-D

Spankyham

Two things I picked up on were Frys comments about RB getting away with 27 degrees and pushing the limits harder. I wonder if we are going to see pull rods become aeros in the same way brakes ducts did.
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari