RB Traction Control yin yang

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
oT v1
oT v1

Re: RB Traction Control yin yang

Kiril Varbanov wrote:
oT v1 wrote:Smoke and mirrors from Seb for some fun?
English language has a great phrase for that: Tongue-in-cheek.
bazikam se
The Power of Dreams

Juzh

917 wrote:The source is http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews ... 15032.html. It was a joke.
^This
Q: Sebastian, there was a lot of hype about the Red Bull ‘traction control’ in Singapore. Can you explain the state of affairs?

Sebastian Vettel: Well, of course, as everybody witnessed it worked in Singapore. We’d been working on it all Friday and Saturday, and yes, on Sunday it worked perfectly for the first time - when it mattered. I am sure for the races to come that we will be able to enhance the system even further - to profit even more.

Q: Will that mean that from now on you will lap all your competitors?

SV: Ha, probably not here in Korea, as the system is not that crucial here. But on other courses to come, my guess is that it will make a difference.
Sarcasm level over 9000. Now every single publication will take it completely out of context.

SectorOne

I don´t think it´s entirely sarcasm actually because it does not explain the various reported events.
It doesn´t matter which way you turn it, when Red Bull was on it they had no problems putting over a second on all other cars.
Get on the power way earlier then everyone else.

He´s probably joking with it but performance like that does not come from thin air, and he knows it.

Edit: on the other hand we can play with the Red Bull´s defense that there´s nothing on the car and that this was just Vettel finding a rythm during the race that was a second faster then everyone else.

I don´t think i need to explain the implications of such a theory.
Last edited by SectorOne on 03 Oct 2013, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

rssh

If I may I think AN has tested a 2014 part in RB9 and Vettel is all smiles praising about it with gleeee. May be they have developed new suspension component which helps in traction which other team couldn't even recognise.

SectorOne

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

SectorOne wrote:but performance like that does not come from thin air, and he knows it.
Actually performance does come 'thin air'.

SectorOne

Cold Fussion wrote:
SectorOne wrote:but performance like that does not come from thin air, and he knows it.
Actually performance does come 'thin air'.
ha....ha....ha... :)

Stradivarius
Stradivarius

SectorOne wrote:I don´t think it´s entirely sarcasm actually because it does not explain the various reported events.
It doesn´t matter which way you turn it, when Red Bull was on it they had no problems putting over a second on all other cars.
Get on the power way earlier then everyone else.

He´s probably joking with it but performance like that does not come from thin air, and he knows it.

Edit: on the other hand we can play with the Red Bull´s defense that there´s nothing on the car and that this was just Vettel finding a rythm during the race that was a second faster then everyone else.

I don´t think i need to explain the implications of such a theory.
Vettel didn't have over a second on all other cars. I am surprised by how many how jumps right on this conclusion without checking the facts. In the first stint, Vettel opened up an 8.275 s gap during the first 14 laps. That's an average of less than 0.6 s per lap and there was no reason why Vettel wouldn't push to the maximum at the beginning to get a comfortable gap, enabling him to respond to different strategies.

It can also be added to this, that the first couple of seconds will come automatically, without having a faster car, because of the disadvantage of following another car closely. On the first two laps, Vettel opened up a gap of 4.136 s to Rosberg. After that, the average difference in lap time was only 0.345 s for the next 12 laps. Vettel's fastest lap on the first stint was 1:52.756, set on lap 13. Rosberg's fastest lap in the first stint was 1:52.972 on lap 11, i.e. the difference was only 0.216 s. Alonso even did a 1:52.849 on lap 11, only 0.093 s slower than Vettel's best lap on the first stint.

After their first pitstops, Vettel was 8.042 s ahead of Rosberg, after 18 laps. This gap grew with 2.925 s in 6 laps, so that Vettel was 10.967 s ahead of Rosberg after lap 24, which was the final lap they completed before piting under safety car. This means that Vettel pulled away from Rosberg with less than half a second per lap after the first pitstops. In total, having pited once, Vettel had gained 10.967s in 24 laps, which is equivalent to 0.457 s per lap from the start of the race. If we exclude the first two laps, he only pulled away with 0.31 s per lap from lap 3 to lap 24.

The impression of dominance only appeared after the safety car came in and Rosberg was struggling with rubber in his front wing and was holding up the field. But if you take a deeper look, you will see that Vettel's lap times were following the same trend as before, dropping around 0.08 s - 0.09 s per lap. But Rosberg's lap times had a step up at lap 31. Until then, Rosberg's lap times had dropped at almost the same rate as Vettel's. The conclusion of this lap time analysis is that Vettel's performance was consistent through the race (he relaxed somewhat on his final stint). Vettel didn't suddenly get much faster after safety car, it was Rosberg that got slower. And we know that he had some problems that explains this.

What facts do we have that suggests the speed difference was more than one second? How do people reach this conclusion?

Another point I would like to repeat (I think it has been mentioned before) is that the difference in lap time will naturally be greater on a track where the lap times are around 110 seconds, when comparing to tracks where the lap times are only around 80 s. So if you use lap time as a measure of performance without thinking about this, you will automatically think that the differences are greater at a track like Singapore. Also, when the track has few long straights and many corners, the advantage of more downforce will count for more than when the track has few corners and many long straights. So I don't see anything special about the performance in Singapore when comparing to Monza. Vettel pulled away from Alonso by 6.435 s during the first 15 laps at Monza. As far as I know, that could be an even more impressive speed difference than what we saw in Singapore. Just to give an example of what I mean, at Monza, the 16 best drivers were within 2 seconds of the fastest lap of the race. In Singapore there were only 7 drivers within 2 seconds of the fastest lap. I realize that maybe Vettel's fastest lap on super softs late in the race isn't representative, so let's look at the second fastest driver: At Monza, Rosberg had the second fastest lap and there were 14 drivers (including Rosberg himself) who had a fastest lap witing one second of that time. In Singapore, Sutil had the second fastest lap, and only 7 drivers were within 1 second of that time. The 14th fastest driver was more than 2 seconds off that time. So lap time differences is definitely a relative measure of speed and cannot be compared directly between tracks. In other words, one second in lap time corresponds to a smaller performance difference in Singapore than at Monza and many other tracks.

Phillyred
Phillyred

Great FACTUAL analysis Stradivarius! Hats off to RB and Seb for being the best packaged team on the grid. My only gripes are with other teams for not being able to close the gap to make it more interesting.

SectorOne

Everyone is going yea yea yea.
Without actually thinking about what really happened during the race.
Lap times are worth looking at for a couple of things, qualifying, tire life, and when in the races you need to show your cards.
Stradivarius wrote:Vettel didn't have over a second on all other cars. I am surprised by how many how jumps right on this conclusion without checking the facts. In the first stint, Vettel opened up an 8.275 s gap during the first 14 laps. That's an average of less than 0.6 s per lap and there was no reason why Vettel wouldn't push to the maximum at the beginning to get a comfortable gap, enabling him to respond to different strategies.
I did check the facts. The average is there because Vettel backed of the pace he initially set (which everyone did)
You think Rosberg was having a sunday cruise? No he pushed like crazy to keep up only to realize it´s for nothing since Vettel pulled away with over a second per lap in the opening stages.

Basically you pull away showing your cards, back off, run at either Rosberg´s pace or slightly better to keep extending your gap.

Stradivarius wrote:It can also be added to this, that the first couple of seconds will come automatically, without having a faster car, because of the disadvantage of following another car closely.
Not true, we saw several cars staying close to each other at several points during the race.
There´s one high speed corner on the track, the rest has a minute effect on the bad wake left behind because the speeds are too slow to have any real impact. I´m amazed you get upvotes for saying that, unbelievable.
Stradivarius wrote:On the first two laps, Vettel opened up a gap of 4.136 s to Rosberg.
Yea exactly, 2,1 and 1,9.

So you theory of Rosberg always being at a disadvantage in the first lap is rendered useless since he´s over 2 seconds away from Vettel on the second lap. Or are you saying he´s still affected by Vettel? Come on now.
With that in mind, Vettel despite being 2 seconds ahead and not having any effect on Rosberg, still managed to pull out 1,9 seconds on pure pace from nowhere. You see what you want to see this is obvious.

If this was the Michelin era he would have lapped the whole field!
Stradivarius wrote:After that, the average difference in lap time was only 0.345 s for the next 12 laps. Vettel's fastest lap on the first stint was 1:52.756, set on lap 13. Rosberg's fastest lap in the first stint was 1:52.972 on lap 11, i.e. the difference was only 0.216 s. Alonso even did a 1:52.849 on lap 11, only 0.093 s slower than Vettel's best lap on the first stint.
Yea this is called taking it easy, making sure the options last to your designated pit lap.
The fastest laps mean nothing because Vettel is in cruise mode at this point. He´s on a sunday drive.

Fastest laps today are meaningless. They are affected by tire life and when you made your pit stop.
You should know this.

Stradivarius wrote:After their first pitstops, Vettel was 8.042 s ahead of Rosberg, after 18 laps. This gap grew with 2.925 s in 6 laps, so that Vettel was 10.967 s ahead of Rosberg after lap 24, which was the final lap they completed before piting under safety car. This means that Vettel pulled away from Rosberg with less than half a second per lap after the first pitstops. In total, having pited once, Vettel had gained 10.967s in 24 laps, which is equivalent to 0.457 s per lap from the start of the race. If we exclude the first two laps, he only pulled away with 0.31 s per lap from lap 3 to lap 24.
Again, taking it easy. You forgot to mention that Vettel was faster on his worn options then Rosberg on completely fresh tires!

Stradivarius wrote:The impression of dominance only appeared after the safety car came in and Rosberg was struggling with rubber in his front wing and was holding up the field. But if you take a deeper look, you will see that Vettel's lap times were following the same trend as before, dropping around 0.08 s - 0.09 s per lap. But Rosberg's lap times had a step up at lap 31. Until then, Rosberg's lap times had dropped at almost the same rate as Vettel's. The conclusion of this lap time analysis is that Vettel's performance was consistent through the race (he relaxed somewhat on his final stint). Vettel didn't suddenly get much faster after safety car, it was Rosberg that got slower. And we know that he had some problems that explains this.
He showed his pace at the start of the race and after the safety car.
The fact that Rosberg had stuff in his front wing is meaningless because he obliterated everyone, not just Rosberg.

And listening to Hamilton on press conference he said after safety car comes in, everyone is going flat out.
Stradivarius wrote:What facts do we have that suggests the speed difference was more than one second? How do people reach this conclusion?
The two most important points during the race. The start and when safety car came in.
That´s where Red Bull shows it´s true pace in the race. The rest is merely tire management while still pulling away every lap from everyone.

So you see the recurring factor here is tire management. With Michelin´s Red Bull would be able to show their true pace.
Just like the switch from the ----tires we had in the beginning of the season hampered them and when the better compounds came they started being on par with Mercedes in Qualifying as well.
The better tires allowed them to show more of their true pace. It´s very simple stuff.

Better tires = unlocks the true nature of the Red Bull machine.
Stradivarius wrote:Another point I would like to repeat (I think it has been mentioned before) is that the difference in lap time will naturally be greater on a track where the lap times are around 110 seconds, when comparing to tracks where the lap times are only around 80 s. So if you use lap time as a measure of performance without thinking about this, you will automatically think that the differences are greater at a track like Singapore. Also, when the track has few long straights and many corners, the advantage of more downforce will count for more than when the track has few corners and many long straights. So I don't see anything special about the performance in Singapore when comparing to Monza. Vettel pulled away from Alonso by 6.435 s during the first 15 laps at Monza. As far as I know, that could be an even more impressive speed difference than what we saw in Singapore. Just to give an example of what I mean, at Monza, the 16 best drivers were within 2 seconds of the fastest lap of the race. In Singapore there were only 7 drivers within 2 seconds of the fastest lap. I realize that maybe Vettel's fastest lap on super softs late in the race isn't representative, so let's look at the second fastest driver: At Monza, Rosberg had the second fastest lap and there were 14 drivers (including Rosberg himself) who had a fastest lap witing one second of that time. In Singapore, Sutil had the second fastest lap, and only 7 drivers were within 1 second of that time. The 14th fastest driver was more than 2 seconds off that time. So lap time differences is definitely a relative measure of speed and cannot be compared directly between tracks. In other words, one second in lap time corresponds to a smaller performance difference in Singapore than at Monza and many other tracks.
That´s great and all that but the fact is it was 1,2,3 tenths in quali but seconds in the race when Red Bull was force to show their cards.
Last edited by Richard on 21 Oct 2013, 14:02, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed personal comments

Mandrake
Mandrake

SectorOne wrote:
Stradivarius wrote:On the first two laps, Vettel opened up a gap of 4.136 s to Rosberg.

So you theory of Rosberg always being at a disadvantage in the first lap is rendered useless since he´s over 2 seconds away from Vettel on the second lap. Or are you saying he´s still affected by Vettel? Come on now.
With that in mind, Vettel despite being 2 seconds ahead and not having any effect on Rosberg, still managed to pull out 1,9 seconds on pure pace from nowhere. You see what you want to see this is obvious.

Come On, it has been established that the RedBull is very good at using the tires from the start and that Merc is weakest off the line with heavy fuel. So Vettel can easily get that much of a lead with Rosberg rather watching his back than attacking VET.

After lap 2 when ROS didn't have to worry about the drivers behind and with the tires up to performance, he was closer to VET.

That RedBull in combination with Sebastian is just that good at the moment. I do fully believe that of the top drivers he is the last one to leave the garages and the most technical guy too. Too put it in a more comical way: While Rai looks for icecream, Alo manages his twitter and Lewis is dealing with his on/off relationship, Vettel deals with his car and tries to understand everything to the last bit.

notApineapple
notApineapple

SectorOne wrote:
Stradivarius wrote:
Stradivarius wrote:
Stradivarius wrote:
Stradivarius wrote:
Stradivarius wrote:
Stradivarius wrote:
Stradivarius wrote:
Mr Sector,

You just answered to Stradivarius's methodically analysed post (containing laptime trends and all) with a bunch of hand waving, unquantifiable crap. It reads like a string of excuses...

luicchi
luicchi

Mandrake wrote:
SectorOne wrote:

Come On, it has been established that the RedBull is very good at using the tires from the start and that Merc is weakest off the line with heavy fuel. So Vettel can easily get that much of a lead with Rosberg rather watching his back than attacking VET.

After lap 2 when ROS didn't have to worry about the drivers behind and with the tires up to performance, he was closer to VET.

That RedBull in combination with Sebastian is just that good at the moment. I do fully believe that of the top drivers he is the last one to leave the garages and the most technical guy too. Too put it in a more comical way: While Rai looks for icecream, Alo manages his twitter and Lewis is dealing with his on/off relationship, Vettel deals with his car and tries to understand everything to the last bit.

"Come On, it has been established that the RedBull is very good at using the tires from the start" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Remember the beginning of the season????
" I do fully believe that of the top drivers he is the last one to leave the garages and the most technical guy too" :wtf: Do you really think soo??? Oh boy #-o
"Vettel deals with his car and tries to understand everything to the last bit." This can be my impression but ...Are you a Vettel fan????

SectorOne

notApineapple wrote:You just answered to Stradivarius's methodically analysed post (containing laptime trends and all) with a bunch of hand waving, unquantifiable crap. It reads like a string of excuses...
Only if you miss understood the message i´m trying to say.

I´ll give you an example. Silverstone 2008. Hamilton lapped the whole field almost.
Now if you looked at the laptimes you´d be utterly amazed and perplexed at how Hamilton could run 6 seconds a lap faster then Raikkonen and Alonso.
Or how Barrichello at the end ran i think 9 seconds per lap faster.

The "facts" say he that day was inhumanely faster then everyone else. But you see these are not facts, they are only facts in the sense of what the time trigger recorded.
They don´t explain the events that happened during the race like Raikkonen choosing the wrong compounds.

Hopefully now you can understand that dissecting the race based on just numbers is quite the useless activity with tires like this.
It´s 1% of what actually happened.

This is why i don´t read the "intelligent F1" article because it´s not very intelligent at all.

Minardi knows this, Racecar engineering knows this and that´s why they focused on what really mattered because they know Red Bull showed their real cards at various stages of the race.
They are trying to get to the real issue, not just looking at the race data over the whole race, averaged that out and assumed that´s the real performance of the car in the race.

You won´t learn much by doing what Stradivarius did. Except for knowing what laptimes were made during the race.
Last edited by SectorOne on 03 Oct 2013, 19:56, edited 2 times in total.

H2H
H2H

turbof1 wrote:Didn't we have this same debate right after the Canadian race? This is kind of running in circles.

There should be something else to it. Shutting down cilinders, KERS giving TC-esque features,... are available to all teams/engine manufacturers. I did read somewhere here something about the gearbox, which might be more interesting to follow up.
I think a lot of guys forget how much the RB9 has been focused on getting performance out of the EBD. Somer has done a pretty good job at bringing pretty much all the elements together..

It might be useful to imagine the performance in an certain area as a cuboid in which the volume of the gain depends on a, b and c. In EBD terms 'a' might define how precisely the exhaust plume gets directed into the right area to get the sealing effect. 'b' could be the overall quantity of gas flowing towards it. 'c' the rate of change. In short you have to get the whole package right and can not have a single strong weakness. It is no surprise RBR struggled in early 2012 when they had considerable troubles with the aeromanagement at the rear.

Getting such a great amount out of the EBD should have a cascading effect on other areas, such as the rake and diffusor as the the exhaust plume seals much more effectively. We all saw the skinny rear wing in Monza, were clearly almost all of the rear downforce was coming from the floor couple with the EBD, and the RB9 with Vettel was certainly no slouch in the slow chicanes. Obviously that car needs also get driven in the right way by the right guy.

Overall I greatly enjoyed the discussion and it is interesting to think about 2014. There was quite some talk about the torque exceeding the long. grip of the tyres. However I'm pretty sure that more powerful ERS will play an important part about controlling that torque output in both directions in combination with the torque maps and engine design. Of course we shouldn't have that aero benefit by the exhaust gas.