Red Bull RB9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_
stefan_

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

Singapore 2013 - Saturday (21.09.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

shelly
shelly

Rbr have been employing the double strake in front of the rear wheel with success for some races. I find it strange that no other team has introduced the same feature on their floor.

Too difficult to tune the shape if exhaust control is not perfect?
There is a lot to gain in that zone, I think a bigger chunk thhn expected in performace is due to that small detail. I'm curious to see if before the end of the season another team will be able to implement it and make a step in performance.
twitter: @armchair_aero

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

shelly wrote:Rbr have been employing the double strake in front of the rear wheel with success for some races. I find it strange that no other team has introduced the same feature on their floor.

There is a lot to gain in that zone, I think a bigger chunk thhn expected in performace is due to that small detail. I'm curious to see if before the end of the season another team will be able to implement it and make a step in performance.
Good question Shelly. Piola says RB have introduced a new diffuser this week and also says they have changed slightly the position of the two vertical strakes ahead of the rear tyre.

Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 22 Sep 2013, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

Huntresa
Huntresa

Is it just me or is this car in its current form more dominating then the mighty blown diffuser car of 2011 compared to its peers ? I mean todays pace from that car was amazing, cant remeber the 2011 car being that dominant eventho it was dominant over the entire year, but not by this much, this felt like it was 2004 or 2002 again... xD

henra
henra

shelly wrote:Rbr have been employing the double strake in front of the rear wheel with success for some races. I find it strange that no other team has introduced the same feature on their floor.

I was wondering the same.
It looks like a clever way to induce early a rotation into the (exhaust-) accelerated flow that would compound the footplate vortex.
Works probably only properly if the exhaust flow is not too much spread, though. That could be a problem with the Bulge style exhausts, perhaps.
Still, at least for Lotus it might be worth looking into it.

Hobbs04
Hobbs04

Strikes ahead of rear tire? Photo please.

henra
henra

Hobbs04 wrote:Strikes ahead of rear tire? Photo please.
You can see them in front of the tyres in the following pic:

atanatizante

It`s clear to me that Vettel`s car has all the updates after Marks announcement for departure and in Monza there were both Grosjean and Lauda who said that Newey found something new at the back of the car but unfortunately they couldn`t tell what it is ...
So indeed there is coz I don`t think Vettel is suddenly 2 sec. faster with the same equipment ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

spiritone
spiritone

Is it time to talk about RBR's traction control again? Once again vettels car has unbelievable traction off the slow corners. He's able to get back to the gas before the apex and drive away from anyone. Its not about the areo or exhaust, newey has found a way to have (legal) traction control and the other teams don't seem to have figured it out. The season is over.

nacho
nacho

In Singapore Vettel was changing quite early in lots of corners.

munudeges
munudeges

Put simply other teams have already moved on to 2014. However, there was a clue in an interview Newey gave to the BBC where he said you can still carry quite a bit of development from this year into next. It seems as though, once again, Red Bull are handling their time and resources better than everyone else.

rssh

spiritone wrote:Is it time to talk about RBR's traction control again? Once again vettels car has unbelievable traction off the slow corners. He's able to get back to the gas before the apex and drive away from anyone. Its not about the areo or exhaust, newey has found a way to have (legal) traction control and the other teams don't seem to have figured it out. The season is over.
Hearing the exhaust in slow corners the RB was constantly cutting to 4 cylinder off-throttle and then switching to 8 cylinder or maybe 6 cylinders (I don't know if they car run on 6 cylinders technically speaking cylinder bank wise) at certain rpms therefore not much slipping of rear tyres and hence preventing thermal degradation of a lap . Also we know how much RB has got back that exhaust effect back hence both combination + skilled driver = Consistant performance gain /lap :mrgreen:

aral
aral

spiritone wrote:Is it time to talk about RBR's traction control again? Once again vettels car has unbelievable traction off the slow corners. He's able to get back to the gas before the apex and drive away from anyone. Its not about the areo or exhaust, newey has found a way to have (legal) traction control and the other teams don't seem to have figured it out. The season is over.
Do you want to know what the rbr traction control is called? VRF (Vettels right foot!)

kooleracer
kooleracer

gilgen wrote:
Do you want to know what the rbr traction control is called? VRF (Vettels right foot!)
I know Seb is good, but he doesn't operate the cylinders mate :D. Red Bull has the most developed throttle maps. Also they have got the diffuser working again. But it helps to have to best driver also of course. TC is not allowed, but the way the RBR9 is sounding coming out of corners, suggest that engine is doing different compared to other cars even other Renault powered cars.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

emmepi27
emmepi27

Comparision: Singapore's diffuser VS Silverstone's diffuser (note the blackened area, very massive interaction with hot gasses!)