Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
machin

Re: Technical Regulations for 2009-2015

Holm86 wrote:So we wont see laser ignition, throttle less engines or VGT/VNT turbochargers.

Why does the FIA have so much against innovation???
Sadly, the answer is "to contain costs"... whilst that is boring... if the costs skyrocketed then nobody would enter... and that would be really boring!
EDIT: and where did the 18" rims go??
Thankfully the local "Yuffs" nicked 'em for their Nova's!!! :wink:
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

MIKEY_!

I would like to see very few rules and a budget cap. No idea what the cap should be set at but low enough so that new teams are eager to join. See who can do the most with the least, it would encourage innovation rather than a situation where he who spends the most money and hires the most people will win.

wesley123
wesley123

MIKEY_! wrote:I would like to see very few rules and a budget cap. No idea what the cap should be set at but low enough so that new teams are eager to join. See who can do the most with the least, it would encourage innovation rather than a situation where he who spends the most money and hires the most people will win.
And the pinnacle of motorsport then?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

MIKEY_!

wesley123 wrote:
MIKEY_! wrote:I would like to see very few rules and a budget cap. No idea what the cap should be set at but low enough so that new teams are eager to join. See who can do the most with the least, it would encourage innovation rather than a situation where he who spends the most money and hires the most people will win.
And the pinnacle of motorsport then?
Good point
Cost is still going to be so much higher than other types of racing. I'm sure we could have turbos and ground effect and other crazy things for the money. There is so much tech that can't be exploited due to the rules that is not very expensive. Cheapness makes the whole thing more relevant, BUT THE BALANCE IS VERY FINE :D

Caito
Caito

It's IMPOSSIBLE to have a budget limitation.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

wesley123
wesley123

Apart from that it doesnt fit formulka 1.

I am fully against cost reductions and banning of rules. The high costs have always been a part of Formula 1 and it should stay that way. Car manufacturers came and gone over the years and the gird have never been empty, the only reason the grid wasnt larger in recent years was due to the FIA's limitations on the amount of cars and the rule that a team has to enter 2 running cars. If that wasnt the case I am pretty sure we would still have car fields of 28-34 cars, depending on if a team could enter. Back in these days it could have been the case that a team ran this race with one car and the next with two or not at all. There were teams that where over 10 seconds slower. Back then it happened a lot that teams pulled out due to the lack of money, then the FIA or F1 itself did nothing, why do it now whren it isnt needed? Formula 1 back then was a sport, it had its fun factor, its anger to the other competitors, fights and a huge difference between the fastest and slowest teams, things that all define a sport, in a Soccer league there are teams that win 90% of the games and teams that have a hard time scoring a goal, it is just part of the game, just like it was wih F1. Now F1 has evolved from a sport to a bussiness, drivers, team principals and everyone around that have to conform to strict rules, both in as out the car, just to satisfy the involved people. It is actually pretty sad how me, as a person who wasnt even born in these years can talk about it like it was just yesterday, it just shows how much F1 has degenerated over the years from a sport where everything was possible to a strict bussiness.

And then the rules, when a team finds something it gets banned. It shouldnt be that way, this is just part of the game. There are a few exemptions though, for example the leaf blower on the Brabham BT52 was just dangerous as it was throwing up all kinds of track debris. The f-duct was dangerous too, driving one handed just to stall the wing, that is just dangerous, it isnt like jacking off where it doesnt matter if you use one hand or both. It is ridiculous that things like the DDD, EBD and such get banned, just based on costs or w/e bs reason they got to do so. I really enjoyed the technical side last year with the EBD, it was just such a detailed and interresting concept, the DD itself just made cars different, one made a high one, the othe made a wide one and so on, teams should have that freedom to come up with such thing. Teams should have the freedom to bolt on wings where ever they can, they should have the freedom to choose between a diesel, turbo or w/e engine they can fit in their car, this is all way to lrestricted and it ruins the 'sport' also.

F1 should have been made more open, allow one car teams, alow large fields, allow the fans to come close and dont ask 400 euros for a ticket on just the sunday(for example, all 3-4 days of Le Mans are around 200 euro's, this even includes pit access and such, you can really meet the drivers).

N12ck

F1 is all about innovation, and by creating more rules fuels innovation, teams always looking for a loophole, ideas being generated by limitations, so I fully support rules being created against different innovations as it fuels more innovation, if new rules werent brought in and things weren't getting un-banned and banned f1 wouldn't be as interesting.
Budding F1 Engineer

wesley123
wesley123

that is rubbish, it doenst fuel innovation at all, a loophole isnt necessarily innovative. For example the EBD, teams used to blow their exhaust into the floor for over 25 years bofre they went to periscope exhausts, why is it suddenly a problem? The F-duct also is not much of innovation either, just smart use of air to let the wing stall. And the DDD, not much innovation either, teams used that area before too. Look at le mans, that is innovation, how for example audi always got something new to show and win Le Mans with, that is innovation. How much of that is allowed in formula 1? nothing is.

Innovation will be there with or without the strict rules, and bans like the DDD and EBD are just stupid.

Really, how can you be more innovative? When 90% of the things you want to do arent allowed due to the rules or when you have the freedom to do so? Engineers will always search for new things and with or without strict rules these will be found, the strict rules do not push the engineers in any way more.

To be honest I have lost a huge interrest in formula 1, compared to how much I enjoyed it in 2008. The cars where quicker, better looking, and the racing was better too, plus there was much more allowed. That was 2008, it is sad how much they ruined the 'sport' in just 2 years.

WhiteBlue

A lot of that is to blame FOTA for. They want their engineers to play aero games and no other technology must be allowed to make a decisive difference. Really a shame.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

@wesley123

I share all your thoughts.
=D>
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

wesley123
wesley123

WhiteBlue wrote:A lot of that is to blame FOTA for. They want their engineers to play aero games and no other technology must be allowed to make a decisive difference. Really a shame.
Well look at what is banned on mechanics, you are forced to run one time of engine, why is that? Let the teams decide what they want to run, one goes with an I4 Bi turbo, the other with a diesel. To not advantage other engine types you should remove the weight limit, this makes a car with an l4 way lighter then a big V12. You want to be green with this? Unlimited energy regeneration crap is allowed to put on. Give them a fuel cap for around 3/4th of what they use now per race and voila you have agreat mechanical formula, the fans like it and it will all still be shoved up the teams throats.

Apart from that, why ban all the electronics? Does it make it easier or quicker? Doesnt have to be, the FW13C that ran in 1993 had almost everything you could think of, apart from hyperspeed, yet it was a apin in the a$$ to drive, this makes it challenging too.

Teams should be free to choose between different styles of gearboxes, engines and whatever they can think of, they should be allowed to run 1 car this race, 2 next race and none at all at the race after that. It gives a great show, like the F1 should be

donskar
donskar

wesley123 wrote:Apart from that it doesnt fit formulka 1.

I am fully against cost reductions and banning of rules. The high costs have always been a part of Formula 1 and it should stay that way. Car manufacturers came and gone over the years and the gird have never been empty, the only reason the grid wasnt larger in recent years was due to the FIA's limitations on the amount of cars and the rule that a team has to enter 2 running cars. If that wasnt the case I am pretty sure we would still have car fields of 28-34 cars, depending on if a team could enter. Back in these days it could have been the case that a team ran this race with one car and the next with two or not at all. There were teams that where over 10 seconds slower. Back then it happened a lot that teams pulled out due to the lack of money, then the FIA or F1 itself did nothing, why do it now whren it isnt needed? Formula 1 back then was a sport, it had its fun factor, its anger to the other competitors, fights and a huge difference between the fastest and slowest teams, things that all define a sport, in a Soccer league there are teams that win 90% of the games and teams that have a hard time scoring a goal, it is just part of the game, just like it was wih F1. Now F1 has evolved from a sport to a bussiness, drivers, team principals and everyone around that have to conform to strict rules, both in as out the car, just to satisfy the involved people. It is actually pretty sad how me, as a person who wasnt even born in these years can talk about it like it was just yesterday, it just shows how much F1 has degenerated over the years from a sport where everything was possible to a strict bussiness.

And then the rules, when a team finds something it gets banned. It shouldnt be that way, this is just part of the game. There are a few exemptions though, for example the leaf blower on the Brabham BT52 was just dangerous as it was throwing up all kinds of track debris. The f-duct was dangerous too, driving one handed just to stall the wing, that is just dangerous, it isnt like jacking off where it doesnt matter if you use one hand or both. It is ridiculous that things like the DDD, EBD and such get banned, just based on costs or w/e bs reason they got to do so. I really enjoyed the technical side last year with the EBD, it was just such a detailed and interresting concept, the DD itself just made cars different, one made a high one, the othe made a wide one and so on, teams should have that freedom to come up with such thing. Teams should have the freedom to bolt on wings where ever they can, they should have the freedom to choose between a diesel, turbo or w/e engine they can fit in their car, this is all way to lrestricted and it ruins the 'sport' also.

F1 should have been made more open, allow one car teams, alow large fields, allow the fans to come close and dont ask 400 euros for a ticket on just the sunday(for example, all 3-4 days of Le Mans are around 200 euro's, this even includes pit access and such, you can really meet the drivers).
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
One of the best posts I've read in a long time.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

donskar
donskar

N12ck wrote:F1 is all about innovation, and by creating more rules fuels innovation, teams always looking for a loophole, ideas being generated by limitations, so I fully support rules being created against different innovations as it fuels more innovation, if new rules werent brought in and things weren't getting un-banned and banned f1 wouldn't be as interesting.
:shock: :roll:
And this is one of the strangest: have I mis-read you or do you really mean to say that banning innovation will encourage innovation? I disagree.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

MIKEY_!

This is going to sound soft but what happens when the rules are removed and...

We see cars with venturi tunnels and fans like the brabham bt46b, no wings, a couple of 1980's 1.5L engines bolted together to produce a 6L H-24 producing 6000hp, variable vane turbos, active suspension, traction control, passive 4 wheel drive, twin disc brakes, brake steer fighter jet style G-suits and enclosed cockpits. And that's without considering dragster fuel, 4 rear wheels, active wings that come up when you loose traction, 9 speed automatic gearboxes or CVT, active radiator inlets and maybe turbine power and exhaust valves that blow gases onto the tires when they are too cold.

Would be great until someone suffers a blowout on parabolica...

N12ck

donskar wrote:
N12ck wrote:F1 is all about innovation, and by creating more rules fuels innovation, teams always looking for a loophole, ideas being generated by limitations, so I fully support rules being created against different innovations as it fuels more innovation, if new rules werent brought in and things weren't getting un-banned and banned f1 wouldn't be as interesting.
:shock: :roll:
And this is one of the strangest: have I mis-read you or do you really mean to say that banning innovation will encourage innovation? I disagree.
It may sound strange but I am being serious, the reason the DDD was created was due to teams looking for lost downforce from the rule change which means they look for loopholes and new ideas get created = innovation. :D
Budding F1 Engineer