Maldonado's punishment, Spa 2011

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of Maldonado's penalty?

He shouldn't have been punished
8%
It is a fair punishment
17%
He should have been sent to the back
11%
He should have had a race ban
46%
He should have had a 3 race ban
13%
He should have been banned for the rest of the year
3%
He should have had his superlicense revoked
3%
Other (leave comment)
No votes

Total votes: 72

MrBlacky
MrBlacky

Re: Maldonado's punishment, Spa 2011

Thank you very much! :) That's quite clear.

marekk
marekk

Luis slowed down just to greet PM with his right hand, and Pastor come closer to have a better look at it.
Quite mature and professional from both (remember - 24 best racing drivers in the world. :) ).

gridwalker
gridwalker

HAH! Touché Marekk. Nice :D
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

ringo

Look how maldonado swipes so wildly he almost runs off into the dirt.
Look how much room is ahead of him, where he can put the car anywhere.

5 spot penalty, that's soft. I'm not one to call for penalties so it is what it is.

But had shumacher or Hamilton done that.

Police helicopters in a car chase, and spike strips.

Now what was the reprimand for again? I can't see why.
For Sure!!

myurr
myurr

ringo wrote:Now what was the reprimand for again? I can't see why.
Because he is black?! I'll get my coat...

Mr.S
Mr.S

I thought he deserved a 5 or 10 place grid penalty. I have seen far worse.

It was a dangerous driving none the less. But Lewis got away with not only dangerous but a lot of dirty driving as well & I am not talkinga bout the hooning incident in here.

Anyways Lewis deserved a 1 or 2 race ban in MONACO if Maldonando deserves a 3 race ban in here

ringo

:lol:

Stewards: Ali G you say?....

hrrr....reprimands for every race kiddo !!!

Jokes aside.

A reprimand is starting to sound like a paddle they use to slap you on your bum every time you're in a fight with another kid, regardless of who started it.

Lewis has like 50 now. As Alonso would say "rediculous".

Better they just make it a fine. Like how NFL has a fine for celebrating after a touch down.
For Sure!!

ringo

Mr.S wrote:I thought he deserved a 5 or 10 place grid penalty. I have seen far worse.

It was a dangerous driving none the less. But Lewis got away with not only dangerous but a lot of dirty driving as well & I am not talkinga bout the hooning incident in here.
Hooning where?

But are you saying a driver should get a penalty, not because of what is in the regulations, but becuase you pernsonally haven't been sastisfied with him getting a non existent book thrown at him?
That doesn't make sense. Every weekend's penalties are in isolation and are judged on what happens on track, not on who's pound of flesh you'd like to see cut out.

The BOSS is too slick, you can't get him red handed can you? 8)
John Gotti of F1 you say? Grind's your gears.
Anyways Lewis deserved a 1 or 2 race ban in MONACO if Maldonando deserves a 3 race ban in here
Nope. Is there any intention to sabotage a teams weekend?

You're not getting the big picture of what Maldonado was trying to do here.
To give you a clue, this hasn't been seen since Alonso parked his car in front of Hamilton's.
That is a total loss of control of civility. Even Alonso's thing wasn't as bad as this, as it wasn't dangerous.
For Sure!!

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

I have no idea why Ham got any sort of a penalty for this?.. Am I just seeing this through Hamilton tinted specs, or did he actually have any part to play in the incident? I have no idea what's happening!

wesley123
wesley123

ajdavison2 wrote:I have no idea why Ham got any sort of a penalty for this?.. Am I just seeing this through Hamilton tinted specs, or did he actually have any part to play in the incident? I have no idea what's happening!
Neither do I. Just read an article on dutch site formule1.nl and there it was stated that this penalty was for what happened in the chicane, not even for what happened later on? makes the penalty understandable, although why the Stewards just let the later situation go on is a big guess.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ringo

They say it's for avoidable collision.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hHG3rPl5UM[/youtube]

I guess they think he could have moved? but i don't really see how possible it is with this video here.

The only other explanation is that they think his hands should have been on the steering wheel to react to the Pastor. But that's not even in the rule book.

edit, if it's for the chicane, then the stewards balls up.
Maldonado said there was no contact. I guess they didn't get the memo and slammed down on Lewis anyway.

The reprimand is like.. soooo Ali G right now !!
Last edited by ringo on 27 Aug 2011, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
For Sure!!

myurr
myurr

ringo wrote:You're not getting the big picture of what Maldonado was trying to do here.
To give you a clue, this hasn't been seen since Alonso parked his car in front of Hamilton's.
That is a total loss of control of civility. Even Alonso's thing wasn't as bad as this, as it wasn't dangerous.
I've got to agree. This is up there with Schumacher parking it in Monaco, Alonso parking it in Hungary (I think), but in my view it was worse as it involved a deliberate attempt to destroy another car. As Brundle himself said "if Maldonado is on the grid tomorrow what kind of message does that send out to all the young drivers out there?", or Coulthard's "I'm furious and I'm not even in the car. I hate to see unsporting behaviour like that."

I can fully believe and accept that Pastor is probably very sorry he did it and that it was done in a red mist, but there is no excusing deliberately driving into another car. To only receive the same penalty as he would if he'd held Hamilton up on a flying lap or changed his gear box is an absolute disgrace and brings the FIA into disrepute. There is no doubt in my mind, having seen the in car footage, that Maldonado plain drove into Lewis whilst Lewis was driving in a straight line (relative to the track).

If anyone in the junior formulas emulates this then it will be entirely the FIAs fault for sending such a weak message here in Spa.

wesley123
wesley123

I think we might see wheelnuts with really sharp spikes on cars from Monza and on, 'rips the competition apart'.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

myurr
myurr

wesley123 wrote:I think we might see wheelnuts with really sharp spikes on cars from Monza and on, 'rips the competition apart'.
Ooo great idea. Massa could use them to take out Vettel in Q1 each race, accepting his 5 grid place penalty in order to help out Alonso at the front!

Princey

The stewards have the footage.. how can you watch the onboard of Hamilton and find him in any way worthy of a Reprimand.. it's clear as day who is at fault. It's the equivalent of an off the ball incident in football.. Qualy had finished and he was more or less rammed into.. Oh wait Mansell is the steward.. ok it all makes sense now..
Don't Kanye me. Or I'll Chris Brown you and Tiger Woods your mother.