What if somebody built a faster lapping road car?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

Re: What if somebody built a faster lapping road car?

beelsebob wrote:
Add to this that the P1 will almost certainly have similar active suspension systems to the MP4-12C (which by all reports are incredibly good), traction control, and all kinds of other driver aids, and I expect extremely similar lap times over twistier tracks.

Add further to this that the front wing and rear wing on the P1 are adjustable, and electronically position themselves for maximum downforce/minimum drag appropriately, and you may even beat an F1 car.

Also, McLaren quote "600bhp per ton", given that it's an 800 horse power engine, we're talking about a 1.3 ton vehicle, so only twice the weight of an F1 car.
Come on...an F1 car has 1 time his downforce from 150km/h on.. more than 1000bhp per ton, not speaking about aero stability ,braking force and the mechanical advantage inherent to open wheelers. There's no way it can beat it. Group C cars that add way more downforce couldn't beat F1 cars at the time. Mclaren P1 will be far from it.

mzivtins
mzivtins

I think you missed the point of what beelsebob meant, the P1 is looking like it will be an incredible road going car, and with all the tech we are looking at the gap between road going cars and f1 cars become very small.

Can it beat and F1 car? well we dont know, it doesn't look likely, but then just as he was talking about the aero package, it would in my mind be much better suited to any type of track section than a formula 1 car... think of incredible low drag double DRS system, for the straights... then for the corners high AOT on the wings for braking zones with the '3rd brake'' traction control for the exit.

We may still struggle to see lap times broken, but im sure this car is going to raise very many eyebrows!

beelsebob
beelsebob

Ogami musashi wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
Add to this that the P1 will almost certainly have similar active suspension systems to the MP4-12C (which by all reports are incredibly good), traction control, and all kinds of other driver aids, and I expect extremely similar lap times over twistier tracks.

Add further to this that the front wing and rear wing on the P1 are adjustable, and electronically position themselves for maximum downforce/minimum drag appropriately, and you may even beat an F1 car.

Also, McLaren quote "600bhp per ton", given that it's an 800 horse power engine, we're talking about a 1.3 ton vehicle, so only twice the weight of an F1 car.
Come on...an F1 car has 1 time his downforce from 150km/h on..
Okay, and? The downforce generation on an F1 car is extremely limited. The P1's diffuser is bigger than the entire diffuser and rear wing structure of an F1 car alone. The rear wing on a P1 is 4 times the size of the rear wing on an F1 car. I would bet heavily that it too would produce more than its own weight in downforce at 150km/h (probably significantly earlier).
more than 1000bhp per ton
Which is great, but not that useful in early acceleration, what you need there is even application of power so that the wheels are applying maximum force to the road surface, and not slipping. Traction control will make the P1, along with many other road cars beat an F1 car off the line, or out of corners easily.
not speaking about aero stability
What makes you think aero stability is an issue on a car designed by a top F1 team?
braking force and the mechanical advantage inherent to open wheelers.
The P1 gets to have significantly bigger brakes than an F1 car is allowed, meaning more contact area, meaning more force at lower pressures. Add to that that the movable rear wing will almost certainly be positionable to act as an aero brake, and you're looking at some pretty huge braking forces. Open wheelers don't have any inherent advantages these days, in fact, they have significant aero disadvantages.
There's no way it can beat it.
Sure there is... A 2011 F1 car for example will beat a 2012 F1 car... point proven, it's possible to beat current F1 cars. The rules for F1 are now so constrained that it's entirely possible for a road car to beat an F1 car, if the road car is far enough into hyper car territory.
Group C cars that add way more downforce couldn't beat F1 cars at the time. Mclaren P1 will be far from it.
Group C existed in 1982, way before any significant understanding of movable aerodynamic devices, skirts, under-body aero, diffusers, electronically controlled suspension, traction control, etc existed. The P1 will be trivially faster than Group C.

pascaljackson
pascaljackson

put an f2004 with slicks onto the track and this conversation is useless...

Nando
Nando

pascaljackson wrote:put an f2004 with slicks onto the track and this conversation is useless...
Put a V10 in the RB7 and things become even more useless.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

beelsebob
beelsebob

Exactly... Bottom line is, current F1 rules are very constrained. It's entirely possible to build (significantly) faster vehicles than current F1 cars; it's almost certainly possible to build a road car that is, I've got a sneaking suspicion that the P1 is just such a car at low speed/traction circuits. Possibly also at high speed/traction circuits like monza too. But almost certainly not at mid speed high downforce circuits like Spain.

snoop1050
snoop1050

someone would have to build a faster lapping bike first

beelsebob
beelsebob

snoop1050 wrote:someone would have to build a faster lapping bike first
Would they? Why? Bikes, while light and agile, don't have room for all kinds of fancy pants things like gigantic downforce producing surfaces, or active suspension systems (at least not as advanced as car ones).

mzivtins
mzivtins

Bikes never really need down force, well i guess you could argue that reducing tyre slip would improve cornering radius but you are very limited in terms of cornering speeds on a bike. Straight line speeds however they are already much faster than F1 cars (Mugello is the great example)

But its useless comparing the two... most sports cars will beat a motorcycle round say... brands hatch... but get a motorbike on a go kart track and no car would beat it.

2 vs 4 wheels, the comparisons should NEVER be made

Although i do have to disagree with beelsebob on the fancy systems part, in general terms the TCS/ anti wheelie systems in the latest bikes are really good, derived straight from motogp. Remember road going bikes of the late 90's were starting to use new methods seen in F1 cars, like rotary suspension, then came radial brakes, carbon composite breaks. Road going bikes with carbon chassis' were exotic, but there. Fully programmable EEPROM ECU's were the norm in 90's superbikes. Magnesium heads, forged pistons etc etc the list goes on. a 2012 superbike is going to be very close to what you may find in the mp4-12c, after all the design goal is exactly the same... fast as it can be, with all the cutting edge tech, for a cheap as possible whilst looking amazing :)

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

beelsebob wrote: Okay, and? The downforce generation on an F1 car is extremely limited.
No. The fact that aero regs are indeed far more strict than before doesn't mean the production of downforce is limited.
It means the easiest ways are forbidden.
The P1's diffuser is bigger than the entire diffuser and rear wing structure of an F1 car alone. The rear wing on a P1 is 4 times the size of the rear wing on an F1 car. I would bet heavily that it too would produce more than its own weight in downforce at 150km/h (probably significantly earlier).
First, if the size of a diffuser was equal to production of downforce then WSR 3.5, GP2's, indy car, FN cars would produce more downforce than F1...which is not the case. Downforce generation by the diffuser is largely dependent on the feed flow which is conditionned by bodywork and front and rear wing couplages...which is precisely where an F1 car is above the rest.

Next you seem to forget a bit that downforce alone is not relevant, downforce to weight is....Which brings me an answer to your wonderings: No the P1 won't produce its weight in downforce at 150km/h for its mclaren themself that said the car would have similar downforce level as the MP4-12C GT3 racer...which is far from producing so much downforce.

Which is great, but not that useful in early acceleration, what you need there is even application of power so that the wheels are applying maximum force to the road surface, and not slipping. Traction control will make the P1, along with many other road cars beat an F1 car off the line, or out of corners easily.
When you corner at 200km/h average, traction is not the limiting factor in accelerating but power/drag is.
I think you are a bit dreaming at thinking a car with half the power/weight ratios, on grooved tyres can beat an F1 car off the line.

What makes you think aero stability is an issue on a car designed by a top F1 team?
Because aero stability is inherently harder with full bodywork cars for you can't direct airflows as well as with open wheelers and because the suspension geometry of Gt cars make load transferts have greater effect on car attitude than open wheelers.

The P1 gets to have significantly bigger brakes than an F1 car is allowed, meaning more contact area, meaning more force at lower pressures. Add to that that the movable rear wing will almost certainly be positionable to act as an aero brake, and you're looking at some pretty huge braking forces. Open wheelers don't have any inherent advantages these days, in fact, they have significant aero disadvantages.
You again seem to forget that bigger brakes are there because the car is bigger and heavier; Plus braking force is due to tyre's grip not disks size.
Next the airflow conditioning on the rear wing of GT/closed cockpit lmp style car is much worse than an open wheeler. And conversly the drag on the open wheeler rear wing is much greater and is the major reason why drag on open wheeler is so high.

Group C existed in 1982, way before any significant understanding of movable aerodynamic devices, skirts, under-body aero, diffusers, electronically controlled suspension, traction control, etc existed. The P1 will be trivially faster than Group C.
Hum..Group C existed all the way to 1992 where you had the F3.5 cars (peugeot 905, Toyota TS10) which produced massive amount of downforce (up to 6 tons at 320km/h); they also had more top speed than F1 cars, yet couldn't beat them and i'm talking about F1 cars that were far from the speed of the current ones.

mzivtins
mzivtins

I though the group C cars downforce was a pretty hamfisted design? Yes, reputed 6 tonnes of downforce at top speed, but i would rather have 600kg of efficient downforce with lower drag that starts to work at much less speeds. I think that is what we are getting at here, drag is horrible, but a nice diffuser is very efficient, well much more so than the front and rear splitters on those... beautiful group C cars (i really love all of them)

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

Downforce increase with the square of speed; when you compare two cars, even if you neglect attitude changes producing 6000 kg at 320kg means you are producing 1317 kg at 150km/h way above the actual numbers for P1.

And Group C cars produced downforce with extensive ground effects at very low drag; But track performance is much more than raw downforce.....When you have a car that has way more downforce more stability and more mechanical advantage i don't see how you can imagine a GT car being faster. Hell Mclaren themselves are not targetting more than GT3 level lap times. We're are far from F1.

machin

mzivtins wrote:get a motorbike on a go kart track and no car would beat it.
Can you provide evidence of this?

For example at Curborough Sprint Track (basically a go kart track; tight and twisty) the fastests modern sportsbikes do a run in 33.X seconds... the fastest Westfield sportscars do it in 30.X seconds ; 10% faster than the bikes...
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

bucker
bucker

Mp12-4c is 16 seconds slower on top gear test rack. F1 car did it in 59s, mp12-4c in 1.16.xx and this is a short lap. Gap between times increase if the track is longer. There is no way that super or hyper cars can be faster than F1 cars.

mzivtins
mzivtins

machin wrote:
mzivtins wrote:get a motorbike on a go kart track and no car would beat it.
Can you provide evidence of this?

For example at Curborough Sprint Track (basically a go kart track; tight and twisty) the fastests modern sportsbikes do a run in 33.X seconds... the fastest Westfield sportscars do it in 30.X seconds ; 10% faster than the bikes...
No, it was a sweeping statement.

I would like to see a factory bought westfield alongside a factory standard suzuki gsxr1000 in 600cc map mode. That was my point, factory standard, as me and you would buy it to drive on the road, no race tyres nothing.

If you really want to push the boat out, a factory standard supermotard with road tyres are even faster still. Again, from a factory standard point of view.