Whats up with Rubens Barichello

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Reca
Reca

According to an interview with Luca Baldisseri, MS race engineer for years, I read a couple of years ago, Rubens is the kind of driver that loses immediately several tenths in the exact moment he feels there’s something wrong with the car.
That was, curiously, sort of advantage in the Ferrari team because they could see Rubens performance as an indicator of car potential, they knew rapidly that there was something wrong and they could also see the immediate effect of any modifications.
In fact, still according to Baldisseri, it was sometimes lot more difficult to find the optimal setup for MS than for Rubens, not because MS needed the perfect setup to deliver but exactly because of the opposite.
MS can be very fast also if the car isn’t perfect hence it’s sometimes very difficult to operate the fine tuning, to find that modification that makes the difference between a good setup and a “perfect” one, because the difference will be small anyway.
That’s the reason why some times your heard that MS “copied” the setup from Rubens and never heard the opposite, not because of favouritism or, as some suggest sometimes, because MS didn’t share info/telemetry with Rubens, but simply because if MS had a completely wrong setup he could use Rubens one and he could be fast with it, if Rubens was lost, MS setup wouldn’t have helped anyway.
For the same reason, as others noticed, to know if the Ferrari cars were good or not, you simply had to look at the performance difference between MS and Rubens, the bigger the difference the worse the car.

At Honda the Rubens problem could be more difficult to solve because, as far as I’ve heard, Button has similarly the need to have the setup perfectly suited to him to perform, but not necessarily he has the same needing as Rubens. At Ferrari they could follow Rubens indications knowing that that wasn’t going to limit MS anyway, on the contrary it was going to improve the car.

What remains to be seen is if at Honda they can do the same thing, but there’s the risk that they could have to follow slightly separate development directions.
DR_K13 wrote: Rubens has to left foot brake in the honda. He was a right footer in the Ferrari/
In an interview I saw at the start of the season Rubens himself said he still has different pedal setting compared with teammate, I assume it means that he still brakes with right foot.

Scuderia_Russ

Very revealing, thanks Reca.

West
West

He's killing my McLaren Grand Prix league score...
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

jgredline

Reca
Yes, very revealing and makes ALOT of sense. I remember watching shumacher in his first Grand prix with that slow jordan and if memory serves me correct he qualified 7th. Amazing. And what he did with the under powered benetton and become world champion was amazing. I am not a Shumacher fan, but for those who had the oppertunity to see him race when the driver mattered more than the car, he was brilliant. In fact in my opinion, Only Senna was and is still better.
To finish first, first you must finish.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

There are drivers who drive the crap out of any car, and get the maximum it can offer, no matter how ill handling or the problem. There are other drivers who are darn quick, but have to have an almost perfect car under them, and everything has to feel perfectly right. The slightest problem, they lose pace. Most times it's easy to pick them out. The number one driver and number two of almost every team.

m3_lover

Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

jaslfc
jaslfc

on one of the senna dvds.. they said that the main difference between senna and prost was that senna could drive any car fast but prost is the fastest only if the car is just right for him. I think there are f1 drivers that have these qualities. look at alonso and fisi. fisi always seems to be complaining about something or another and it affects his speed. And alonso always seems to be consistent. i doubt that alonso's car is always set up perfectly... maybe its psychological?

jgredline

Very revealing. Just as I had said earlier. The past ferrari's were so good it made rubens look good, and when the ferrari was bad last year, he looked very bad. I hate to say it, but taku was closer to jensen than rubens :shock:
To finish first, first you must finish.