Toyota and Gascoyne

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
West
West

He better not leave... 2005 was due to his input. I'm sick of their blame culture - kicking Cristiano Da Matta was nothing but to drive attention away from the higher ups.

Even if Gascoyne stays with the team, this incident will put an even darker cloud over Toyota's reputation in F1. I love Toyota products (our family has two Lexus and one Toyota truck) but sh*t like this makes me want to buy elsewhere...
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

f1.redbaron

m3_lover wrote:I think he couldn't take the toyota culture maybe. I know he is doing a michael andretti and mostly residing in the UK, instead of Colgone Germany. But if Toyoto slumps really bad during the season they have no one to blame but themselves.
Is it the Toyota or the German culture? In case of the former, screw it. For $8 million/year he better work 25hr. days/8 day weeks if they ask him to. In case of the latter, that is a totally different situation. My understanding is that he stayed in the UK during his 3 years with Toyota...that is a little wierd, and very wrong, especially when he signed that big contract - he knew that the company was based in Germany.

-------------

West,

I didn't lose too much sleep when they sacked Da Matta. Apparenty, he was bringing in way too much negativity into that team, and they got fed-up with him. After F1, his performances weren't too impressive...just remember where he is right now...driving for a Minardi of Champ Car Series.

btw, I see Wikipedia is staying on top of things. Check the bottom of the page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Gascoyne

m3_lover

It is F1.redbaron, reading Mike's bio that he did not complete his thesis to get his doctrine, so unusual for someone so close to not finish it.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

West
West

BTW Redbaron, did u ever decide between the 330i or the Lexus IS350? I plan to get a 350Z once I get a job. I felt those 2 cars are too much money for too "little" in return - too many negatives for my likes.

m3_lover

Nissan 350z is the best bang for the buck excluding maybe the corvette, But I think the new BMW 335 coupe with the turbo engine is going to be the car to beat in the next couple of years
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

West
West

I can't stand the new 3 series, even if it is the least-inspired Bangle design. If you lived where I lived, and went to school where I did, you'd see everybody has a BMW or Mercedes. The most played out cars in SoCal. Pictures of the 335i still don't impress me.

I especially hate it down here since the kids down here only buy these cars for the name... there's a grip of the lowest-end BMWs here. I got into an argument about with a girl a while ago... she called me "ghetto" and talked about how she drove a BMW 325... big deal... cheapest of the lot. We were both drunk but when she mentions her BMW I just wanted to stop talking to her.

In summary, in SoCal, the BMW is the toy of the spoiled brat and poser. The only beemer I'd take is an E46 M3. At least that car is brutally fast for its price.

jgredline

Really, What has Gascoyne done?
Nothing for the amount of money toyota throws at everything.
Honda is kicking there butt. Williams is kicking there butt, Ralfs third place was all luck this past weekend. Even when he was at Renault he did nothing. Oh, I know that the championship winning car was supposedly his creation, but it was not according Symonds. If that renault was his creation then toyota with there resources and more Hp would be winning. Well maybe not with Ralf or trully, but they should be closer.
To finish first, first you must finish.

RH1300S
RH1300S

How about some really wild speculation? :wink:

Gascoyne will probably have some form of contract that prevents him working for a period of time..........what if he were to tag along with one of the new teams ready for 2008? Errmm......Prodrive............. :idea:

vyselegend

When you pay someone the kind of sum he's paid, you don't expect him to be good, you ask for exellency. Toyota are very ambitious, they don't just want to fight for points but are aiming for podiums. Ralph's 3rd place is mainly the result of overtaking Heidfeld under yellow flag without beeing punished, (don't ask me why :evil: ) and it's obvious just by looking it that the aero of the car is totally missed.

johny

money isn't everything, and don't think that a lonely man can do the job of 300. He must be good but not a god

axle
axle

RH1300S wrote:How about some really wild speculation? :wink:

Gascoyne will probably have some form of contract that prevents him working for a period of time..........what if he were to tag along with one of the new teams ready for 2008? Errmm......Prodrive............. :idea:
Yeah he's suspended not dismissed - and so he's effectively on "Gardening Leave" he won't be allowed to work for or even talk to any other teams till his contract expires...he'll still get all of his money.

I'm not surprised a head has rolled at Toyota, this is supposed to be the big year. The design is shite...which is odd as he's always so up on aero, the problems with this years chassis have highlighted that he hasn't managed the team well enough to produce a world beater, and no TF106B would help that out.

Toyota were way too conservative this year, had their car out far too early to learn enough lessons from 2005 and winter testing. I think Renault have proven that Gascoyne wasn't all that, Bob Bell etc should take a lot of credit for boosting MG's value in the market place.

I'm a bit dumbfounded at MG's lack of commitment to the team through where he lived. In a team like that you need to live and breathe the team, you can't do that from England. However there are always factors that we'll never know about.

I hope the next boss takes Toyota forward.
- Axle

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

I've been hearing its all due to a fallout with management, quite a protracted fall-out as I've been hearing things about it for a while.

Basically Toyota Japan wouldn't let him run the place as he saw fit. Not much point hiring a guy and paying him big bucks to organise things if he isn't given a free hand to do so...

chepoi
chepoi

Gascoyne is the right person to take Newey place @ McLaren.....?????

Reca
Reca

It’s probably more than 1 year that every now and then in Italian press there are strong rumours about Gascoyne being fired/leaving Toyota, so I really can’t say I would be surprised about it if it turned out to be true...

Anyway, I heard in two separate occasions two people who worked with Gascoyne, in different moments of his career, talk about him. Both said they were absolutely surprised for the fact he’s rated (and remunerated) so much in F1 and both said that to work with him is very VERY difficult.

dumrick
dumrick

chepoi wrote:Gascoyne is the right person to take Newey place @ McLaren.....?????
I have not the ability to predict things, but I don't think that such a self-centered, self-promoting individual, is very much of the likes of Ron Dennis... besides, that seat is taken and the engineering at McLaren seems to be running smoothly...