Diffuser race: who'll be first?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Diffuser race: who'll be first?

1) Mclaren
45%
2)Renault
28%
3)RBR
6%
4)BMW
13%
5)Ferrari
6%
6)Force India
2%
7)Torro Rosso
No votes

Total votes: 89

Moanlower

Re: Diffuser race: who'll be first?

I believe it will be BMW.

Renault's signs are rather confusing. They will have small aero updates again and improvements to the rear suspension since rear wheel traction was one of the main issues but a double decker won't be ready in China I guess. Maybe an interim diffuser until the rest of the car is adjusted to the final ddd.
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

djos

The Macca looks like they already have it* but had it blocked up for the last 2 races - I suspect this is why they didn't protest the stewards rulings as they knew they need a DDD to have any hope of being competitive.

*Macca's DDD looks like a combo of BrawnGP's + Toyota's
"In downforce we trust"

spaman

McLaren: Picture #1

McLaren: Picture #2

Renault: Picture #1 (follow the link)

http://www.autohebdo.fr/f1/f1/article-2 ... e&ie=UTF-8

Renault: Picture #2

Renault: Picture #3 (new floor?)

I hope those pictures weren´t posted yet.

blobslosak
blobslosak

According to Lee Mckenzie's twitter, Renault have a new diffuser for tomorrow. Whether that'll be a DDD I don't know.

http://twitter.com/LeeMcK

De Jokke

Q. With those upgrades will you expect an improvement in terms of position?

HK: Hopefully, yes. Obviously, that is why we are pushing very hard to move up the grid. We are not trying to stay around 10th place or so. We are always aiming to eventually arrive in pole position and be winning races again. Clearly this is our target. I think for this weekend it would be unrealistic to say we will be fighting for pole position but I think can have another good step forward and hopefully we can start the challenge to get into the top 10 in qualifying, into Q3. That is the next step and then obviously always trying to fight for the victory if possible but just keep improving throughout these weekends. That is the main key at the moment.
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Moanlower

What Renault meant was probably that having a new diffuser alone won't reduce the gap completely but only by 3 tenths or so, the other 3 or 4 tenths will be gained by adjusting parts as the front wing, sidepods, floor and perhaps gearbox. The adjustments will probably also take half the time than they make other teams belief.
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Mike Gascoyne - former technical director of Toyota, Jordan and most recently Force India - told BBC Sport: "A major update to the rear of the car requires a redesign of the gear box, the crash structure and the rear suspension.

"While some teams will implement small updates based on the FIA's clarification, without a huge redesign they won't be able to get the full performance effect.

Teams like Ferrari, MM and Renault will all get new diffusers at some point - the question is when?

ColchesterPaul
"Over the next couple of races we will see more and more teams making small updates while significant updates will only come in the following months."
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

donskar
donskar

Thanks, Dave. Assuming Gascoyne is right -- and he certainly should know -- we could have some DDD processions to look forward to. I just hope Toyota and or Williams can take the fight to Brawn; otherwise we could have some yawners ahead.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

ringo

I have reason to believe the williams is faster than the brawn, its just the strategy is the problem, Its everything else but the car that is holding williams back. Rosberg is pretty good so i wont blame the driver, he showed us that the car can run faster than the brawn. Its in the actual race where things start to deteriorate.
For Sure!!

nudger
nudger

ringo wrote:I have reason to believe the williams is faster than the brawn, its just the strategy is the problem, Its everything else but the car that is holding williams back. Rosberg is pretty good so i wont blame the driver, he showed us that the car can run faster than the brawn. Its in the actual race where things start to deteriorate.
well dont keep these reasons to yourself?

ISLAMATRON

The Brawn is clearly faster than the williams under all conditions.

Giblet
Giblet

There is no reason I can think of that would make me think that these teams didn't already have their version already tested in the tunnel and CFG.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Giblet
Giblet

Double post. I don't understand.

I hit Submit, and then nothing happens. I'm still in the editor.

So I wait, an no wheel is spinning telling me to wait, so I hit Submit.

The second time it works, responds as it should, but there are two messages.

This is twice now.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Bob Brown

mclaren got their interim double decker already.

MustGoFaster
MustGoFaster

Looks like it's working decently too! I know it's just practice.